• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Been thinking about buying another barrel for my encore. I was wondering how much does your scope change from a barrel switch? And leaving the scope attached to each barrel.

Thompson center claims no change since its basically just a hinged on a roll pin but was wondering. Anyone?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought a used .308 barrel earlier this year for the Encore. Still haven't shot it yet. Always used the T/C for the 209/50, where it always shot better than me. Three deer downed with it, two never took a step.

I was a bit disappointed when researching that some folks report less than stellar accuracy with this system and barrels? I found that there are websites dedicated to improving upon the stock accuracy issues with advice, precision pins, parts, etc.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    PRO: scope should stay zeroed since it's attached directly to the barrel
    CON: each barrel will need its own scope (in order to not have to re-sight in the rifle with each barrel swap)

the encore is a very cool (and surprisingly mechanically simple) system.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have never had a barrel change zero from just changing barrels on my Encore or Contender.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    That's one of the big advantages of the cantilevered barrel on my 1187. Just take it off and put it in the corner of the cabinet. Next season, put it on, run 3 or 4 rounds through it to confirm zero, and you're ready to go.

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    Just buy a new frame and keep gun complete all my encores are tuned with oversized hinge pins and free floated forearms just easier to put new frame with the new barrel
    image_zps6hd4s05b.jpeg

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was a bit disappointed when researching that some folks report less than stellar accuracy with this system and barrels? I found that there are websites dedicated to improving upon the stock accuracy issues with advice, precision pins, parts, etc.

If someone is having problems with accuracy with a Thompson Center Contender or Encore, chances are they didn't get it properly sighted in. are using the wrong ammo for the barrel, or more likely just doesn't know how to shoot.

Thompson single-shots are some of the most inherently accurate rifle and pistol platforms (stock offerings) produced today.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If someone is having problems with accuracy with a Thompson Center Contender or Encore, chances are they didn't get it properly sighted in. are using the wrong ammo for the barrel, or more likely just doesn't know how to shoot.

Thompson single-shots are some of the most inherently accurate rifle and pistol platforms (stock offerings) produced today.

Should one expect MOA accuracy out of standard rifle cartridges with the rifle in stock configuration then?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My buddy has an encore with 50 cal black power barrel and a 300 win mag rifle barrel. As long as you don't move the scopes from the barrel they're mounted on, no change. No different than taking the stock off of rifle or shotgun with a scope mounted on it when you clean them. As long as you don't mess with the scope mounting, no impact.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Should one expect MOA accuracy out of standard rifle cartridges with the rifle in stock configuration then?

I am not a ballistics expert, but from everything I've read, and from my own experiences with the Thompson Center single-shots, I'd say you should be reasonably close to M.O.A. out of the box with quality ammunition.

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    i have multiple barrels for my prohunter and have never had a shift when i've switched barrels. great hunting rifle but it will be taking a backseat to the .450 bushmaster this season

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Or they have bushing/headspace problems, or got one of the earlier .35 Rem bbls, or got an older Contender bbl with an offset chamber.
    Bell M has documented this stuff.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Or they have bushing/headspace problems, or got one of the earlier .35 Rem bbls, or got an older Contender bbl with an offset chamber.
    Bell M has documented this stuff.

Well evidently I stand corrected.
    I have 8 different barrels for my Contender. My brother has 6 barrels for his. Both frames, and all barrels match up with no issues. All of the barrels are capable of shooting better than I do.
    I have numerous acquaintances who also own Contenders or Encores and this is the first I've heard of these issues.
    I guess 10+ years hands-on experience isn't worth what it used to be.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have 3 Contenders at the moment. Two easy open, one older. Non easyopen isn't of the oldest type, but a newer bbl (Non G2 era) would lock it up. There's a reason why TC offers a fitting service.

Rimfire Central and Specialty Pistol forum folks discuss the quirks.
    Evidently they are all theorists, and Bell M has made a business out of the supernatural.

This page better accepted if done in a Harry Potter theme?
    http://www.lasc.us/BellmTCfactoryBarrels.htm

Last edited:

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Been fooling with contenders for over 20 years and encores less. Had very few Contender barrels that shot poorly. Encores have more of a tendency not to be as accurate from my experience that is related to the forearm attachment method in my opinion. There is an occasional fit problem that is easily solved. Poi does not change with a barrel change or even putting the barrel on a different frame. Lastly bellm might have some good points but from my experience I take alot of that with a grain of salt.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    I will second that Contender, I have been in the contender/encore my be a little bit longer have 8 frames and more barrels than the wife knows about most are custom virgin valley, bullberry, MGM ,OTC have never seen POI change much use mostly bullberry hanger bar set-
    ups have some match bases so can use one scope on two differant tubes quick release rings still not much change in POI once scope is re- adjusted .
    Always be wary of someone trying to sell you accuracy improvements some are good most are just another fishing lure

Top Bottom