• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    So a few years ago I had some major issues with some keyholing out of my fairly new rifle. As some of you may remember there were quite a few suggestions of what was wrong. If you'd really like to go back and read the thread here it is.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/200059-ar15-major-keyholing-issues.html

Well I thought I fixed the problem by switching out the ammo. Here is the thread on that if you're interested.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/201515-ar15-major-keyholing-issues-fixed.html

Well this weekend I went out shooting to sight in a new red dot and who would have guessed it... I had keyholing again!! I was shooting 55gr reloads, 69gr match reloads, and American Eagle 55gr. All of them keyholed... It blew my mind. I have shot maybe 2000 rounds out of this gun in the past since I had the last keyholing issues. And now out of no where its starts again with quality ammo at 50 yards.

Since its not the ammo this time, I decided to check the crown and muzzle device. My A2 birdcage did not have any dings on it or any brass shavings like others have mentioned. Then I looked at the crown and I found this.... Would this cause 50 yard keyholing? It was about 3 out of 5 shots that keyholed.
    2mzawx.jpg

2d0o2lf.jpg

I don't really know if that is bad or not so I scraped the carbon off anyways and this is what I found underneath.
    2jfjcpt.jpg

So what do you guys think? Is that bad enough to cause the bad keyholing or is my barrel actually shot this time?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm sorry. As a total AR n00b, what am I looking at?

Is that a carbon buildup UNDER the flash hider? Like, where the end of the barrel meets the front of the FH? If so, how did the carbon get under there - or is that the problem?

Looking forward to learning from this thread.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have personally seen instances of carbon buildup at the muzzle on AR's causing severe accuracy issues like you are describing. I would thoroughly and very carefully clean the muzzle, reattach the flash hider and try it again.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If in doubt about your crown, a brass round head screw chucked up in a drill and some valve grinding compound will fix it.

What you want perfect is the last point of contact between the bullet and the lands.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It sure doesn't look pretty, but whether or not it would cause keyholing is hard to say. What sloughfoot said would work and let you know for sure, or if you want it recrowned on a lathe let me know.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    In that last picture, that ugly shiny stuff is still carbon build up. That last bit is not always easy to get rid of. I use a wire brush on a dremel to get through that stuff to the muzzle itself. Then I runs several patches through the barrel to make sure I get out any crud that dropped into it when running the wire brush.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Tbh I really don't see much of what I'd call rifling. Buy a new barrel man. This is causing to many problems to even bother with. Save yourself the B.S buy a decent 1/8 twist barrel and move on.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Please keep drills and bore brushes at least 10 feet away from your rifle. Nothing good can come of it.

It does bring a long forgotten memory back though. I had a chromed 1X7 Colt barrel that I fired thousands of rounds out of when accuracy suddenly went to pot.
    Exploring this, I was slowly pushing a tight fitting patch back and forth through the barrel trying to feel rough spots.

I found a carbon ring just ahead of the leade. No amount of brushing would remove that hard carbon ring. The only way I got it out was with JB bore compound. And it was not easy. I never had keyholing, just big groups.

My recommendation is to scrub the bore with JB until it feels smooth from one end to the other. Can't hurt anyway. Not like a drill with a bore brush anyway....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Please keep drills and bore brushes at least 10 feet away from your rifle. Nothing good can come of it.

It does bring a long forgotten memory back though. I had a chromed 1X7 Colt barrel that I fired thousands of rounds out of when accuracy suddenly went to pot.
    Exploring this, I was slowly pushing a tight fitting patch back and forth through the barrel trying to feel rough spots.

I found a carbon ring just ahead of the leade. No amount of brushing would remove that hard carbon ring. The only way I got it out was with JB bore compound. And it was not easy. I never had keyholing, just big groups.

My recommendation is to scrub the bore with JB until it feels smooth from one end to the other. Can't hurt anyway. Not like a drill with a bore brush anyway....

Quoted for truth

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Keyholing is normally a sign of either wrong bore diameter, or wrong bullet diameter. If it is a newer barrel, call the manufacturer, the barrel is likely out of spec.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Keyholing is normally a sign of either wrong bore diameter, or wrong bullet diameter. If it is a newer barrel, call the manufacturer, the barrel is likely out of spec.

Key holing is only a result of a projectile not spin stabilized by the rifling, there are many causes. If there were wrong diameters involved the rifle would not be functioning as described and would either not cycle, or blow up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Key holing is only a result of a projectile not spin stabilized by the rifling, there are many causes. If there were wrong diameters involved the rifle would not be functioning as described and would either not cycle, or blow up.

Or too small projectile/too large a bore? Im no expert but I could envision a "loose" bullet rattling its way down the barrel like a rock dropped down a well casing as it bounces around on the way down. :dunno:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    wait. I thought the AR15/M16 was designed to shoot bullets that tumbled. better for shreading thine enemy to tiny bits and all that. sounds like it's working perfectly. :dunno:

If that's not the case, it will bring into question every piece of knowledge I learned while hanging out at the gun shop.

-rvb

Top Bottom