• ...and so much more!
  • Don-Hartman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Franklin County
    Hello

As the title says ....What is the best AR in the 900 to 1200 range off the shelf ?
    I would want a 5.56 , flat top . Each manufacturer has so many different models it gets a bit confusing .
    This would be used as defense ,plunking around as well as varmint gun out to 250 yards or so .
    My guess is that any will do for that. I'm just looking for the highest quality for that money . What makes these things so different other than the caliper ?

I was looking at Colt , Armalite , Bushmaster .

what is different from a 700 dollar armalite and a 1200 colt ?

no wars please just your opinion and why ?
    Thanks
    Don

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    None of those choices. Sig Sauer M400 or Sig 516.
    Milspec just like the ones listed but with unique differences to their lower receiver. IE... built in sling points at the rear of the receiver, serrations cut in front of mag well.

Or an LMT.

With Colt, and armalite, you're paying for a widely recognized, mass produced name. You can get the same + more in amother rifle.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    None of those choices. Sig Sauer M400 or Sig 516.
    Milspec just like the ones listed but with unique differences to their lower receiver. IE... built in sling points at the rear of the receiver, serrations cut in front of mag well.

Or an LMT.

With Colt, and armalite, you're paying for a widely recognized, mass produced name. You can get the same + more in amother rifle.

Or buy a PSA premium upper using their CHF CMV FN barrels, and pair it with one of their premium lowers. 675-700 and you get a good set up for that 700 imo

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    You can get a Colt 6920 for ~$900. That would be a good starting point. It will come with a properly staked gas key, staked castle nut, C158 bolt that is MP/HP tested, H buffer built by people who have been doing it a long while. While I think the Sig M400 is a nice rifle, it doesn't specify what material is the barrel(4140, 4150, ???) or what material the bolt is made of(C158/9310). Are these tested as well? With Colt you are getting known materials and testing. Once again, not slamming the Sig, but the Colt has been around longer and been proven. In the end, it is your money and spend it how you want. I would head over to M4Carbine.net and do some researching/reading on the subject. Good luck in your decision! BTW, I grew up in Franklin County;)

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    build one yourself, you can get a better one for less $$

In all seriousness, I think you cant go wrong with any of the choices you mentioned. Colt 6920 is a great deal in my mind and you can find them for less than 1k. Also, I have had good luck with my S&W M&P15T.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    BCM has a nice deal on a complete upper + free Mil Spec BCG & mod 0 comp

Put it on whatever lower group you want. Would be a nice off the rack option under your budget.

rmg200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I think the Daniel Defense rifles with the original grip and buttstock are sub $1200 now

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hello

As the title says ....What is the best AR in the 900 to 1200 range off the shelf ?
    I would want a 5.56 , flat top . Each manufacturer has so many different models it gets a bit confusing .
    This would be used as defense ,plunking around as well as varmint gun out to 250 yards or so .
    My guess is that any will do for that. I'm just looking for the highest quality for that money . What makes these things so different other than the caliper ?

I was looking at Colt , Armalite , Bushmaster .

what is different from a 700 dollar armalite and a 1200 colt ?

no wars please just your opinion and why ?
    Thanks
    Don

With the varmint comment, I might watch the sales coming up for a Colt LE6490. They seem to hang right around $1300 now, but I suspect we will see some on sale over the next month or so. If not the 6940, I would still look for something with a free-floated forearm and a front sight on the gas block (fixed or folding), probably from DD, Sig 516, LMT, or the like.

If not for the varmint aspect (which means a 1moa or better rifle that doesn't change POI when field supported, IMO) I would probably look at the Colt 6920 & Sig M400.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    In before the "build one yourself, you can get a better one for less $$" crowd.

Exactly, who would want a properly put together AR from a respectable company.......;)

You guys are snobs. I've got less than $500 in my Franken-build, and I shot a beer can @ 50 yards behind my trailer. I've ran 200 rounds through it so far without a hiccup.

:laugh:

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I second the spikes tactical. That's what I used for my build. But I'll also agree that building one is not all that hard and very, very addictive. But if you just want one off the shelf spikes are pretty awesome.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You can get a very nice AR for $1200. Just remember that quality is often hard to see when it involves types of steel, individual part MPI / HP testing vs. lot or batch testing.

Don-Hartman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Franklin County
    Lot of good info guys !

What is the opinion on a DDM4v1 lw vs colt LE6490 looks like I could get these for 950-1000?
    Pro and con of each ? Fit and finish and overall quality ?

Im not a huge fan of the rail all the way out past the front sight ,but I could get over it . What about sling points ?
    Stock rigidity ?

Thanks
    Don

Last edited:
    Top Bottom