• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I just sold my DPMS 308 and upgraded to the LMT MWS 308. I've read nothing but great reviews on these and deciding on moving on up in the 308. Just curious to if anyone has one of these and what has been there results. I'm mainly interested in what kind of optic and accuracy you are getting.:yesway:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I know. I know. It is in transit. Here is the GB photo:
    pix952281077.jpg

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I would assume you are doing a DMR type role or more of an EBR? My 20" POF .308 is set up as a DMR with a Vortex 2.5-10x and Harris bipod. If you were wanting more of an EBR role, I would recommend the Vortex Razor 1-6. Both are serious cash, but these top tiered ARs deserve more than a Wal-Mart scope lol

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I would assume you are doing a DMR type role or more of an EBR? My 20" POF .308 is set up as a DMR with a Vortex 2.5-10x and Harris bipod. If you were wanting more of an EBR role, I would recommend the Vortex Razor 1-6. Both are serious cash, but these top tiered ARs deserve more than a Wal-Mart scope lol

Pffff...ALL ARs are the same, they shouldn't be over $300. All scopes are the same too, you can do the same with a $30 BSA as one of dem fancy $1500+ scope. I'd get a good set of Tasco aluminum rings too

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'm a Vortex kinda guy (Alan at Vortex Scopes | Rifle Scopes | Red Dots | Binoculars | Range Finders | Spotting Scopes), and I was going to get a mildot 5-20x Razor Gen 1 for my Mega MaTen MKM build. Well, SWFA happened to have a SMOKING deal on their 5-20x (SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope | SWFA) that included an Atlas bipod, Seekins rings, Butler caps and some other stuff for free. To Alan's great credit, he gave his stamp of approval to that deal even though it cost him a sale. If I had to pick only one vendor on INGO to be trusted, it would be Alan. Fortunately, there's more than one, but you get my point...

Any-who.

In the past year or so I've had the opportunity to compare the SWFA to several scopes. I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x (that I did get from Alan) and, not surprisingly, I find the SWFA to have better glass. The mildot-ish reticles are slightly different and comes down to personal preference. They both track equally well, perfectly to the limits of my ability. I prefer the turrets on the SWFA , but that's mostly based on the different methods they use for zero stops... they both have positive clicks.

I have a friend that I shoot with that has the Gen2 5-20x Razor and I have some limited time behind it. It's different from the SWFA, but I'm certain I'd be just as happy with it as I am with the SWFA. Maybe happier, but I haven't used it enough to know for sure. The glass is just as good, but "different" and I don't have the experience to define it further. Also, my impressions of the Gen2 are based on target shooting under good/bright conditions from 200 to 500 yards, so I can't comment on the low light capability.

When I boil it down, for my skill level I'd be perfectly happy with the Viper PST 6-24x FFP had I not purchased the SWFA or peered through a Razor. To my eye, the PST is a fantastic value in that you get great glass and repeatability of adjustment in a FFP scope for less than $1k. A lot of the guys at the club use Leupold, Sightron, Bushnell, and Weaver and I've yet to look through any of those that approach the PST, let alone the SWFA or the Razor. I've shot a couple of Nightforce scopes that have very nice glass, but they were all SFP and that's a No Go for me; YMMV. I have not run across a USO or SB, and I kinda hope that I don't... if they live up to their billing it will cost me a lot of money.

SWFA

Vortex Viper PST

Last edited:

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    You get what you pay for in glass. If you want to go cheap that is ok but I don't say a cheap piece of glass is as good as the upper end scopes. If you spend 1000 on a rifle you should at least spend half of that on the scope you put on it. It also depends on what you are going to use it for. I can pick anything out of my safe and shoot and know where that bulit will stop. Different rifles have different zero's.

Sonney

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Trust me, I'm not going cheap. I tried going cheap on my RDS a while back and thought 2 Strikefires and 1 SPARC were the same as an AimPoint or Eotech. Not saying the Vortex RDS are bad, but 3 AimPoints later and 1 EoTech my mind has changed.:ingo:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Finally picked it up this weekend. Fit and finish is superb. Glad I got rid of my DPMS LR-308 as it can't even compare to the LMT. Now trying to find what optic will sit on it. I can see why the Brits picked these up for the DMR role.

attachment.php

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a trade in RZR 1-6 in the classifieds. I also have more of the Viper HSLR 2.5-10 FFP left that is a smoking deal at 549. Remember purpose dictates the optic not platform.

bowtech83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2014
    Muncie
    If you want a good quality optic without spending an arm and a leg, check out the Nikon M308. Sweet scopes man, make sure to check out the M308 mount with the built in 20moa.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you want a good quality optic without spending an arm and a leg, check out the Nikon M308. Sweet scopes man, make sure to check out the M308 mount with the built in 20moa.

No way I would put a scope with a plastic gear system on a gun like this. There are much better scopes much cheaper.

not only that but they have a total of 40 moa internal travel so putting a 20 moa base on it will probably kill your chances of zeroing below 200-300 yds.

I'm really trying to quit having these debates, but some of the things I read on the Internet makes that impossible.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    No way I would put a scope with a plastic gear system on a gun like this. There are much better scopes much cheaper.

not only that but they have a total of 40 moa internal travel so putting a 20 moa base on it will probably kill your chances of zeroing below 200-300 yds.

I'm really trying to quit having these debates, but some of the things I read on the Internet makes that impossible.

Yep, nothing Nikon will be going on this. The 16" barrel will more then likely get a 1-4x, 1-6x, or ACOG. I will be adding a 6.5Creedmor or 260 barrel at a later date for longer range work.

Top Bottom