• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    So Im thinking about retiring my 20 inch bushmaster in favor of a smaller more compact package. My back injury has recently been flaring up and yesterday it got to the point that I couldnt stand up on my own. Ive been reading articles and watching videos of lighter weight, compact packages for the last 2 months and I have narrowed my choice down to the IWI Tavor. I want some owners input on the rifle (wheres the best place to buy a Tavor, ammo selection, ect.). If possible I want to shot one before I purchase. If anyone knows where I can rent one at a range, or if there is someone willing to let me shoot theirs I would gladly supply the ammo. Im not wanting to shoot it all day, just two or three mags. Thanks in advance!

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The Tavor is not really that light overall, but because of the bullpup design it puts the weight toward the back so it is easier to hold up the front and sort of "wedge" the bulk of the weight on your shoulder. I'm in the Southport area and would let you shoot mine if we can find a place. Used to be the Beech Grove range for me, but now . . .:dunno: Maybe Indy Trading post? I've not shot there before.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Thank you for the offer, Indy trading post is "pistol" calibers only I believe. Ill have to look around and see if there's a range around here. The problem for me is extending my arms, I think that if the overall length is shorter it would lessen the burden on my lower back.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    I thought Parabellum had a Tavor on their range. You should indeed go try it out.

They are not lightweight as others have said, but they generally feel lighter because you don't have leverage working against you. Very low felt recoil, especially if you use the Israeli "six point" stance. I love it quite a bit, no regrets.

The MDR is a pretty sweet looking bit o'kit, but I hate to see the price tag on it... their long guns are rather spicy.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    They are great to shoot. I got a great deal for one at Honeycreek Tackle. If you decide to buy one, talk to Jason and tell him the one legged guy sent you. They had to order it, but it took less then a week to get it.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    [video=youtube;yxCuDtQW3nw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxCuDtQW3nw[/video]

[video=youtube;vn_LymlQAnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_LymlQAnc[/video]

[video=youtube;0A1wcCt_X5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1wcCt_X5A[/video]

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You're welcome to try mine too. I live in Brownsburg and shoot at Parabellum occasionally.

The tucked-in way you hold this rifle really does make a difference. It's a bit heavier than the typical AR but the weight is further back so the rifle is easier to support, aim, and hold steady, especially in combat scenarios where "only" combat accuracy (sub-4 MOA) is required.

The Tavor is a fine choice for a defensive/SHTF rifle; absolutely no regrets here.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I got an opportunity to try one out a few weeks ago from some nice fellas that just picked one up and brought it out to the range.

As mentioned in several articles, it felt like the trigger pull was about 11 lbs. But, the operation of the rifle felt very smooth.

Recoil felt lighter than an AR and there was no "SROING!" sound from the buffer spring.

I was already interested in acquiring one...the experience didn't help much. Must....Resist....Temptations......

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    About the trigger pull, I put the timney trigger in mine. Takes about 2 minutes if that. The difference is night and day. Was not happy with the factory trigger.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    About the trigger pull, I put the timney trigger in mine. Takes about 2 minutes if that. The difference is night and day. Was not happy with the factory trigger.

Are you having any problems with light primer strikes? I dropped in a Timney trigger and it is very nice, except I get light primer strikes every so often.

Last edited:

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    No haven't had that problem. I shot at least 200 rounds since then. I hand load them and they were the CCI primers (not the military ones) which are usually pretty tough primers. Check the ammo you're using, maybe its the CCI military primers which are even harder?

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    Are you having any problems with light primer strikes? I dropped in a Timney trigger and it is very nice, except I get light primer strikes every so often.

How long ago was your purchase? Timney had issues with light strikes, but have supposedly corrected that in the past few months. It may be worth a call to them and see if they'll bring your pack up to current standard.

Top Bottom