• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I got to thinking about getting one of these calibers for pretty much bench shooting/reloading and deer hunting if the new proposal is set. I would like a light recoiling rifle that I can set behind for extended range shooting and use it to maybe deer hunt with. My shooting range distance is 225 yards max and my farthest hunting shot is maybe 200 yards. The 243 looks really attractive but was wondering if it would be on the light side for deer especially like on a quartering shot. Just looking for advice....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For 225 yds max flip a coin. I really don't think you will see advantages on paper. For deer hunting you might see a touch of difference with the 7-08 winning out, but at those ranges, the deer wont notice a difference as any of the calibers will drop them in there tracks with proper bullet placement.

If it was doing it and it was mostly a range gun I would probably stick with 243.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    At <= 225yds, you are not likely to find much of a difference. All 3 calibers can dispatch deer with ease at that distance and all have bullets available that would be fine for deer at >400yds. If you reload, the .260 does have some nice bullet choices, but it is probably the worst caliber of the bunch for non-reloaders.

If you like the 6.5mm bullets, the 6.5 Creedmoor is very similar to the .260 but with what seems to be better commercial ammo availability.

As far as the quartering shot, bullet selection is important (along with shot placement, of course.) A .243 with a bonded or GMX/E-Tip/TTSX-type bullet should perform fine punching through the shoulder.

Last edited:

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Buddy of mine uses .243 for mule deer and I have personally witnessed him fold a muley at 306 yards. Plenty of gun for whitetail and mule deer. As mentioned above it is all about shot placement.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    243 will kill deer PLENTY dead. If you are concerned about it being "too light", use an Accubond, Partition, TTSX or Gameking.

Factory ammunition and reloading components are available pretty much everywhere and reasonably priced, which is another plus.

Only issue with 243 as I see it is factory rifles have a 9.25 (Savage) or 9.125 (Remington) twist rate, which isn't optimal for 105gr match bullets....though admittedly for <225 they aren't needed. Any <100gr or lighter hunting bullet will work great. You might get lucky with a 105 A-Max or Hornady HPBT shooting very accurately, but the 95/107 SMK and any of the 105gr Bergers will be VERY marginally stable.

If I went 243 (and it sounds like a great choice for your intended uses), I'd see if it would shoot the 105 A-Max to acceptable accuracy, and if so, I'd use that bullet for everything. If the 105 A-Max didn't work, 100gr Gameking SBT and the same.

FWIW...I have both 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor and either of them are great choices too should you desire 0.021" more bullet diameter. :D

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Well, actually I was hoping to get good feedback about 243. I think it would be a lot of fun playing with different bullet weights especially with hand loading.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I would go with 7mm or 260 if you are concerned with quartering in shots on deer. You can use a substantially heavier bullet in those calibers.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    243 will kill deer PLENTY dead. If you are concerned about it being "too light", use an Accubond, Partition, TTSX or Gameking.

Factory ammunition and reloading components are available pretty much everywhere and reasonably priced, which is another plus.

Only issue with 243 as I see it is factory rifles have a 9.25 (Savage) or 9.125 (Remington) twist rate, which isn't optimal for 105gr match bullets....though admittedly for <225 they aren't needed. Any <100gr or lighter hunting bullet will work great. You might get lucky with a 105 A-Max or Hornady HPBT shooting very accurately, but the 95/107 SMK and any of the 105gr Bergers will be VERY marginally stable.

If I went 243 (and it sounds like a great choice for your intended uses), I'd see if it would shoot the 105 A-Max to acceptable accuracy, and if so, I'd use that bullet for everything. If the 105 A-Max didn't work, 100gr Gameking SBT and the same.

FWIW...I have both 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor and either of them are great choices too should you desire 0.021" more bullet diameter. :D
    Don't be afraid to use the 80gr bullets in the 9 1/4 twist barrels. The 80 is more than adequate on deer sized game. I've taken my fair share of deer with the .243 and pigs and doggies out to unreal ranges

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Your other thread was about the 270, 308 and 30/30. Now you are looking at 260, 7mm08, and 243. Sounds like you want a deer rifle and range gun with very little recoil. All are good on deer in Indiana if the new law passes. Recoil is mild on the above listed calibers compared to a 12ga slug. Compared to a 22lr recoil is a lot more noticeable. If you are really concerned more about recoil than effective range, get a 30/30 or 243 and get a heavy rifle and you should be good to go. I have shot all the above and none are real hard kicking. Good luck on your search for the ideal deer rifle.

Last edited:

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Your other thread was about the 270, 308 and 30/30. Now you are looking at 260, 7mm08, and 243. Sounds like you want a deer rifle and range gun with very little recoil. All are go on deer in Indiana if the new law passes. Recoil is mild on the above listed calibers compared to a 12ga slug. Compared to a 22lr recoil is a lot more noticeable. If you are really concerned more about recoil than effective range, get a 30/30 or 243 and get a heavy rifle and you should be good to go. I have shot all the above and none are real hard kicking. Good luck on your search for the ideal deer rifle.
    I know, I am always researching guns.....I like to find out as much as I can about about a particular gun/caliber before I buy. I was inquiring about the bigger calibers because I have never shot one and wanted to learn more. I got to reading a lot more lately about wildcat rounds and it really got my attention. Didn't realize those small/fast rounds are so effective on game other than varmints. I was always around guys that said bigger the caliber, better for deer. I am not particularly recoil shy but would like to be able to be behind a rifle for extended range time. After all the great advice on here, I will probably go with a 243. I can have fun shooting hand loads for long range target shooting, varmint hunting and possibly deer hunt in the future.....I think I may have a lot of fun!!!!!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    paperboy said:
    I was always around guys that said bigger the caliber, better for deer.

Deer don't wear SAPI plates.

Put an expanding bullet where it needs to go and they'll cleanly and ethically be felled...even if that bullet is a diminutive .224" in diameter.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If someone mentioned this already I didn't see it but what you didn't mention (or I didn't see) is if you are an avid reloaded/tinkerer. If thats the case I would go with the 7mm 08 the 260 in that order for availability of bullets etc. If you are not a reloader OR you want to be able to find a common available caliber on about any shelf then the 243 wold be the best choice. As far as whats better they all will work.

Big Papa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My first deer in Ky was taken with a .243 (Savage 110) using 100 gr handloads - dropped where he stood. I like the 7mm for for the heavier bullets and i just feel better knowing I was driving something a little bit bigger on a quartering shot. My 08 is a Vanguard ultralite and as long as I'm doing my job, it is very accurate. As mentioned earlier, the 6.5 Creedmore is a fine round as well. None of these rounds have any recoil worth mentioning and my wife has lots of fun punching holes with all three.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I was always around guys that said bigger the caliber, better for deer.

There was a time when that was likely true. Back before monolithic bullets and bonded jackets and fast powders with integrated retardants, when everything had the BC of a ping pong ball. It is based on wisdom gleaned from gun writers who've been dead for 30+ years and applied to modern gear.

Today you'd be lucky to keep an 85 TSX launched from a SAAMI 243 Win, inside an elk hit longways at 500 yards.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    as others have said, the 243 is enough gun, especially with a relatively fast twist rate (anything 1:10 and under) - this will let you shoot 75-100 gr pills just fine, and if you get a twist rate in the 1:9 range, you can go over 100 gr pills, like the 105 (I think there are even some 110 and 115 gr .243/6mm pills out there for handloaders)

243 - mild recoil, easily available, easy to handload
    7-08 and 260 - more recoil (especially with heavy-for-caliber projectiles), not as easily available commercially, still relatively easy to handload.

If you LIKE handloading, I'd get the 7-08, if you only do handloading cuz you have to, get the 243

Top Bottom