• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I plan on beginning an AR15 build within the next year. Hopefully, I can start rather soon. I've done some research, but clearly I have some questions.

Here's mine today, what can you tell me about this upper?

PSA 16" Carbine Length 5.56 1/7 Diamond Rifle Kit

I looked at that handy dandy AR15 chart, and it shows it shares some similar attributes to the higher ends. What is it missing? This is exactly what I'm looking for in an AR upper, but I want to build it right.

Any input would be great.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For one, you're missing the lower, but you've figured that out.
    Besides that, I'd say you're looking at an entry-level barrel. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it could be swapped out easily.
    You're also looking at an entry level trigger group I'm sure.

That said, for the price they're asking, I'd buy 2 of them if I was in the AR15 market. I'm not, but that's a good buy for a starter.

That's just my opinion. I'm sure other have different ideas.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I (as have many other INGOers) have bought from Palmetto and been satisfied with their products. If that style handguard is what you want, then I'd say you're good to go.

There are a number of things in the description of the upper that stand out to me as being features that I would want in my AR:
    Forged 7075-T6
    hard coat anodized
    made in the USA

Also, if you look at the pic close up you will see a square that is part of the casting. More than half of my ARs have this insignia and their fit and finish is quality.

derf has pointed out the detail on the barrel. I would add that with a 5.56 chamber cut @ 1:7 twist, you can shoot most anything with confidence.

Good luck.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For one, you're missing the lower, but you've figured that out.
    Besides that, I'd say you're looking at an entry-level barrel. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it could be swapped out easily.
    You're also looking at an entry level trigger group I'm sure.

That said, for the price they're asking, I'd buy 2 of them if I was in the AR15 market. I'm not, but that's a good buy for a starter.

That's just my opinion. I'm sure other have different ideas.

Yep. Keep your eyes peeled for Anderson or Bushmaster $50 lower deals and you'll have yourself a $550 rifle!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    It is a good package, but there are a couple of small things that may or may not be important to you:

Classic lower build kit includes a 6061 receiver extension (mil-spec diameter) instead of the 7075 in their premium kit
    It doesn't look like the bolts undergo HPT or MPI (although the barrel is HPT/MPI)
    Standard carbine buffer (you may want to go with a H or H2 buffer with the carbine gas length)

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    So here's another question. I've seen colt SOCOM uppers for only $150 more than this price. I really like that handgaurd style though. How hard is it to remove the front sights, and install a low profile gas block? Is it better to buy them that way? Or is it easily done by someone who knows what they're doing?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    IMO, that extra $150 if for the prancing horse, and on the upper there's no imprint to tell the world it's a Colt. Don't bother, there is no extra quality added.

I have not had good experience with changing the FSB / gas block. IANAGS. I say better to buy it the way you want it. If you must change, leave it to a reputable gunsmith.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm with Indy on getting the barrel how you want it. Besides, the Colt barrel will have the partial hole in it from the FSB pin, and it would drive me nuts knowing it was there under my gas block.

Also, keep in mind the lower parts would likely add another $90-120 to the cost if you are just getting the Colt upper.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have no personal experience with PSA, but I've heard good things about them. That YHM Diamond handguard looks good and is very solid, but it is fat and heavy. I have the 7" version of the Diamond on a carbine and it weighs 12.5oz according to their website, so I'm pretty sure the rifle length version is probably about a pound and a half. (The weight of the rifle length version is not listed on their website, probably out of embarrassment). By contrast, I have a 12.37" Samson on another rifle that weighs 10.9oz which is almost twice as long at less weight. That weight difference may not sound like much, but it's huge when its hanging on the far end of a rifle.
    I have no personal experience with Colt either, but I wouldn't pay $150 more for that Colt upper. If you want an affordable upper with an extended handguard, I would look for a PSA upper that has the standard plastic handguard. Then chop the front sight base to make a low-pro gas block instead of replacing the gas block and add the extended handguard of your choice. If this is your first AR, I know its hard to resist the temptation of a full length quad rail. But there are much better choices out there. You are only going to use about 5% of that rail space anyway.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I have no personal experience with PSA, but I've heard good things about them. That YHM Diamond handguard looks good and is very solid, but it is fat and heavy. I have the 7" version of the Diamond on a carbine and it weighs 12.5oz according to their website, so I'm pretty sure the rifle length version is probably about a pound and a half. (The weight of the rifle length version is not listed on their website, probably out of embarrassment). By contrast, I have a 12.37" Samson on another rifle that weighs 10.9oz which is almost twice as long at less weight. That weight difference may not sound like much, but it's huge when its hanging on the far end of a rifle.
    I have no personal experience with Colt either, but I wouldn't pay $150 more for that Colt upper. If you want an affordable upper with an extended handguard, I would look for a PSA upper that has the standard plastic handguard. Then chop the front sight base to make a low-pro gas block instead of replacing the gas block and add the extended handguard of your choice. If this is your first AR, I know its hard to resist the temptation of a full length quad rail. But there are much better choices out there. You are only going to use about 5% of that rail space anyway.
    Chop off? Wow! Have you personally done something similar? Or do you know someone who did?

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Chop off? Wow! Have you personally done something similar? Or do you know someone who did?
    Yes I have done it. My upper that has the 12.37" Samson handguard on it started as a midlength gas system with a Magpul handguard and standard A2 FSB (sight tower). I took time with a Dremel tool, cut off the sight tower, bayonet lug, and sling swivel, and then used the sanding drum on the Dremel to round off the corners. I then finished it off with high temp flat black BBQ paint. This leaves the gas block fully functional and the 12.37" handguard covers it nicely. It sounds scary, but its really easy and looks great if you take your time. That factory gas block is held on with two taper pins which is much stronger than any replacement gas block you will find.

goneape

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    Carmel
    Again, ignore my ignorance on these but considering the PSA ones come with everything short of a lower, is that still a comparable deal as far as bang for the buck? What makes that receiver better? If nothing else that will help me when comparing in the future.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    Top Bottom