• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    So I'm at this gun show, and I'm drawn to old stuff, military stuff, old military stuff, and stuff made out of military stuff. Anyway, I see this rifle sitting there, built on a Mauser 98 receiver,(czech) with Waffen marked floor plate, wood civilian stock and later "hunting" type barrel. No sights, but scope mounts on the receiver. Looks like a pretty nice build on a Mauser 98 receiver.

The tag on it says "35 rem? 35 whelen?". (I'm sure a few on here saw it today at Brazil). I can't tell by looking but I like the looks of it, so what the hell, I'll bring it home. Now, its clearly a 35cal, but what? I clean it up good and pull the bolt. Start with a 35 rem, stick it in the chamber and it drops in maybe a half inch deeper then the back of the barrel. That's not it, so how bout the whelen. I hear that it uses the 30-06 as it's parent casing, so it should chamber a 30-06, but it lacks 1/2-3/4" from going all the way in. Maybe that's not it, so maybe 358 win. I hear that its parent casing is a 308, but with a 308 I get about the same result as the 30-06. Doesn't go all the way in. Maybe 9mm Mauser? If that's it, it should chamber an 8mm, they are the same except for the neck size, but the same result. Won't go all the way in.

So what are your thoughts?

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Could try making a casting of the chamber- midway( and others ) sell a type of metal for that purpose, melts at around 200 degrees, supposed to be pretty simple.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Never made a cast before, might try that. I'm using an iPad and can never get pics on here using it. I would have to take some, email them to myself, then go to the office at work and post them from there. But I can email some from my phone if someone wants to put them up

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    And the only thing Czech is the receiver. The barrel is commercial and unmarked, the mag and other parts are German, the wood is commercial. This is built as opposed to sporterized.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    It looks like now that the gun was never finished. The chamber fits nothing and looks to have never been fired. Tried every round that it could be a while ago and nothing. Our best guess is that the prior owner, (no longer with us) was working on it when he died. It seems to be rough reamd to 35 whelen, so now it gets finished out and it's pretty much a new rifle.

Top Bottom