• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Freedom Group runs another storied American brand into the ground... :(

We've still got a few H&R single-shot shotguns on the rack; guess I should mark them up now that they're all collectible and stuff. :rolleyes:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't like to hear that anyone is going out of business, but it doesn't really surprise me either. Those difference in price between one of those single shot rifles and a remington or savage package gun was getting slimmer and slimmer every year. Between the savage axis, or rem 710 you could get a scoped bolt action hunting rifle for just a little more.

I've actually got plans to pick up one of their single shot 12ga shotguns fairly soon, so it may be time to buy two of them.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    It's all about demand. Just how much demand is there for one of these. Indiana is about the only place I've ever seen them used. And I am with Hookeye on this, H&R has long had problems.

I got 2 old pre NEF Toppers that rarely get used.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Seemed like they made a good entry level rifle. Definitely a niche in this market. I'm a couple years away but was wanting to get one for my grandson. I guess there will be plenty on the used market.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    It's all about demand. Just how much demand is there for one of these.

I am a minority, but I love single shot firearms. I'd rather hunt with a single shot than anything. I have several Encores, a few Contenders, a CVA, and yes, several Handi rifles in my single shot stable.

I think it's a shame that they are being shut down, but almost everyone in the single shot world saw it coming. Same thing happened/is happening to the G2, and the Encore won't be far behind. :(

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am a minority, but I love single shot firearms.

Me too. Loved my Contenders. With the exception of chasing a groundhog back to hole in a hail of bullets launched from a Marlin model 60 as a kid, I can't think of another critter I shot at where an immediate follow up shot was necessary. It's always been a hit or a miss on a stationary target. If I couldn't hit it standin still, I am not gonna choot at it on a dead run.:dunno:

That said, all my rifle hunting today is with AR platform rifles. I have had a couple deer that I thought about pulling the trigger of my .458 twice on, mostly to save myself an extra hundred yards of dragging across a chisel plowed field, but then I remember the $3/round price tag and my need for exercise.:laugh:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I am a minority, but I love single shot firearms. I'd rather hunt with a single shot than anything. I have several Encores, a few Contenders, a CVA, and yes, several Handi rifles in my single shot stable.

I think it's a shame that they are being shut down, but almost everyone in the single shot world saw it coming. Same thing happened/is happening to the G2, and the Encore won't be far behind. :(

And this is why they are going bye-bye for now. I have nothing against single shots. One of my favorite rifles is my Shiloh .45-70, but that is a completely different beast. Even back in the early to mid 80s I was one of the few kids on the block that had a break action shotgun. Every one else had a pump or old bolt shotgun. Not to mention that H&R and later NEF didn't help it's popularity by making the things with horrendously clunky stocks. I have seen really old break actions made by other makers back when aesthetics meant something and those old shotgun looked nice and sleek. I am seriously thinking of give my Toppers a stock diet.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had one in .223 that shot 10" groups at 100 yards. Needless to say, it has been replaced. I'm not going to cry or loose any sleep about them stopping production. My first gun was a single shot H&R .410. I still have it 34 years later. Great little gun. As far as the rifle...Rossi and CVA make single shot rifles that seem to be a little better quality.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    RELATES: I bought a .357 mag that I could not get to pattern well. Went on Greybeard and after reading a little I cut a leather washer from a worn out Lacrosse boot. Started shooting 2-3" @100 yards depending on ammo.

DEBATES: If this is true, I find it strange they would discontinue the handi rifles / Topper shotguns, as I know a lot of people who started out with them. It is not a sophisticated piece of machinery, but they are rock solid and affordable.

ELATES: Hey! You can still buy the AAC version in .300 BLK for $250.00 if they still have them at Impactguns, $9.00 shipping to my FFL, Ordered one this evening.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had forgotten about this until this thread, but I did have a H&R 308 that I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. At the time it was such a great deal I didn't really evaluate the gun. When I got home I noticed light between the barrel and receiver. The rifle was sent back without a round being fired through it. Shortly after getting it back it was traded or sold with full disclosure I don't remember. It's something that's stuck with me though and when these rifles start to clearance out it's something to pay attention to when they start getting really cheap, before the price of used ones picks up.

Top Bottom