• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I am trying to make a big decision. I love the look and feel of the Winchester 1873. I am trying to decide between a new production Uberti or Winchester or getting an old Winchester.

I have a few 1894's from the turn of the century one is in .32 Special and one is in 38-55. I also have a newer manufacture Marlin 1895CB in 45-70. I like all three rifles, and I have deer hunting covered next year whether or not real rifle chamberings are allowed.

I am just stuck on the fence as to whether or not the old rifle in 38-40 or 44-40 is worth the hassle of finding ammo and being pretty underpowered. If I could find an old one in .357 or .45 that would be great, but they weren't chambered in those cartridges.

The new ones are so pretty right out of the box and I am sure they are more accurate than what I could find in my price range for an old gun.

Finally, a full house .357 out of a new Uberti would be a deer getter too.

I will be going to the Louisville show this weekend to look.

What do you old cowboys think?

81ea064da6a9f960925125be5bd1cd91.jpg

uberti_1873_sporting_rifle.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but reading through what you posted you mentioned things like what cartridge it is chambered for, how accurate it is, and hunting with it. I didn't see anything about how collectable it is or the history of it, so it sounds to me like the newer production makes more sense for you.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I guess that is the one reason I would go with an older one. There is something about holding and shooting a rifle that has been around for 100+ years. That is the reason I would get an old one.

I guess I should have expressed that too.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I looked at a 44-40 Winchester at Cabelas in Hammond once but it had a bulge down the barrel visible only inside the barrel.

If you like the 'feel' of them, then the new ones are just as good. If you want to collect one for it's value and with their price, why take the chance of breaking it?

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    You'll have no problem with shooting the Uberti, just ask anyone shooting cowboy action. As for and original, if you're going to spend that much money, I don't think you're going to want to be out in the woods hunting with it. I'd go with the Uberti.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple of 1892 Rossi's, an octagonal 24" and a Trapper 16" in 44mag which is fun to shoot with 44 special. They are very nicely blued and the octagonal has a superior stock. The stock on the Trapper is a different wood and much less attractive so I spent some time on it by hand rubbing in boiled linseed oil to make it look a bit better.

I know they are not 1873 rifles but are supposed to have a stronger action. I would like to pick up an 1873 someday.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    20140813_194717_zpsz8psxtub.jpg
    [/IMG]
    My Italian made '66 replica in .45 Colt is a fine rifle. I have been thumping steel, punching paper and dropped a fat buck with it. No worries about breaking it or lowering the value on an original.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Now that's what I am talking about. I am leaning a little more towards a new production rifle.

I am going to Louisville this weekend. Hopefully there will be both there to look at.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    While having an original would be very cool I would go with new production. A lot of the older ones need new parts and springs to run reliably.

Top Bottom