• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The 3-4 Henry Survival Rifles I have had/have all functioned well and were very accurate. My current one will shoot 1" groups at 25 yards with Aguila SSS ammo and others.

Both are good guns. the Henry is a little more compact and packable. The Marlin is more comfortable to shoot, being a more traditional stock, etc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll be the bad apple and suggest skipping over both to go with the 1022 Takedown.
    A better gun than others stock. A great gun with a few aftermarket goodies and there are tons of them available.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would agree the Ruger TD has the edge over the Marlin and will likely be the most reliable and accurate of the bunch. It all comes down to what you want it for.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    +1 on the Ruger TD rifle. Another great thing about the Ruger TD, is that you can get it with a factory threaded barrel. A silencer adds a new level to the "survival rifle" class.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My current personal favorite is my Rossi Gallery takedown. 16" barrel, tube fed pump gun. I added Skinner peep rear sight and it functions with everything from .22 shorts to Stingers.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have Henry Survival, Charter Arms AR7 and 10/22 takedown.
    Henry is more accurate and more reliable, holds 2 mags and is very light and small. Only the 8 round mags work reliably. Possible to scope, but it won't pack if you do.
    Charter is small and light, but needs tweaking to be reliable. Light strikes have been a problem, along with stovepipes. Usually inexpensive and cheap.
    10/22 is the heaviest of the lot, but has mountains of aftermarket, along with being the most accurate and reliable. If you want it scoped and still fit in the carry case, you have to be very selective about the scope.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My current personal favorite is my Rossi Gallery takedown. 16" barrel, tube fed pump gun. I added Skinner peep rear sight and it functions with everything from .22 shorts to Stingers.

Mine too, although I prefer the Winchester 62 that the Rossi is a copy of. Another great option is a Browning 22 Auto.

If I were choosing between the Papoose, AR7, and 10/22 TD, the Ruger takes first place by a long shot. The ergonomics on the AR7 IMO are awful, and I've never cared much for that model of Marlin. With the Ruger, you're really giving up very little over the standard model for the TD feature, and the availability of a threaded barrel is awesome. If you don't already own a 22 suppressor, I'd make that my next purchase.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have never shot the 10/22TD, but I would assume it shoots just like my other 10/22's. I do have a Papoose, got the barrel threaded for my suppressor when I got my 10/22 barrels threaded. It is pretty nice to pack on a trip with the suppressor for some fun plinking up at the in-laws when we go visit. I have no complaints with my Papoose, just wish there were better and larger magazines just for fun.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I have the Henry and have shot the 10/22 takedown. Each have their benefits. The Henry is more compact and easier to pack. The 10/22 is more accurate IMO over greater distances and you can use larger capacity magazines. I keep my Henry in my aid bag. But that being said I am in market for a 10/22 TD for longer trips when accuracy and capacity are issues.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    50 years and still going strong / the Ruger take down 10/22 / stainless steel, synthetic stock / love the carry bag and like someone said earlier.... there's a mountain of accessories and magazine options

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Does the broken down size matter? The Henry is by far the smallest. The Papoose separates nice but the stock/receiver is still bulky. Same goes for the 1022. At one time I'd planned to make my papoose a bug out bag gun but the stock was just too big. I tried to look for a Ramline folding stock but couldn't find one anywhere.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I had a Papoose for years and could hit quarter sized clay targets at the range with iron sites at 50 yards. That was when my eyes were younger and trigger time more abundant. Loved the Papoose but anything with a detachable barrel I would only go iron sites. Just me but if I remove the barrel I want the sites attached to it. Just my 2 cents but still feel the barrel is the only constant on a two peace pack rifle.

Top Bottom