• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Hello, I just ordered a Remington 700 SPS chambered in .260 Remington. I hope to have it shortly after New Years. I've been trying to search for a heavy barrel and new stock, but I haven't had much luck. Does anyone have any recommendations for websites or anything local to Vincennes? I want to build this for my first (hopefully) precision long range rifle.
    Thanks for any help.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd shoot it before you decide it needs a new barrel. I bought an SPS in .223 with the same intentions and once I shot it I decided that was money I didn't need to spend. The factory barrels usually benefit from a couple hundred rounds to smooth things up a bit but many of them shoot extremely well.

As far as stocks go, I just got in a new XLR Industries Element chassis and I'm impressed. It's a more affordable alternative to their Evolution chassis that I've been shooting for a couple of years now and couldn't be happier with it. It's the most adjustable and most comfortable stock I've been behind.

Last edited:

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Vette, no sir, I wouldn't even think about doing that.

Phylodog, That's why I went ahead and bought the gun instead of just the action, in hope that I'll like it but I foresee upgrading sometime on the future.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vette, no sir, I wouldn't even think about doing that.

Phylodog, That's why I went ahead and bought the gun instead of just the action, in hope that I'll like it but I foresee upgrading sometime on the future.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

I would imagine when you start shooting, or reloading for it you will stick with the factory barrel for quite awhile.

If your having a smith build it I would go with his recommendation on the barrel. They will usually cut you a break on what ever they carry because they do so much business with a certain company.

I may be in the minority here, but IMO you take the top 5 barrel manufacturer's, put them in a bag, and shake them up and you wont be able to tell them apart. Most smith's deal in 1 of the top few companies, and that's the brand I would recommend. Who is doing the work IF it happens?

For a stock there are alot of direction's you can go. Ive used most stocks on the market, and I even found one I like better than accuracy international, and its this one

http://kmwlrs.com/SENTINEL_Combat_Stock

What ever you do, get one that accepts AI mag's, or plan on buying new bottom metal. When you figure in the cost of bottom metal a lot of times more expensive stocks make sense.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One of the best investments I made in my 700 was a Boyds stock. What a difference. Any stock is a improvement over the original stock. I'd like to find someone that can do a barrel swap on mine. It's a ADL in 30-06. I love it!

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks again for the advice.

Vette, you're right. I will keep it stock for awhile, just for money purposes, it's hard for me to spend that much cash at once/ As far as the gunsmithing, I really don't know yet? We have a new one in the area but I haven't heard anything about them yet, other than that I really don't even know of anyone else in this area.
    I am looking at McMillan and B & C MK2, I really like the way that style looks, but I'll have time to research more.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Is the SPS 260 you got a sporter barreled rifle?

IMO, the best upgrades are a trigger (Timney 510 or 517) and a new stock.

The Bell & Carlson Medalist is a great 'budget' choice, I've owned the A2 and M40 and like both though for primarily prone shooting I think the A3 would be better than the M40. If you want to stay BDL they work great, if you want to use AICS magazines plan on at least $100 for a DBM (PTG makes one at this price) and at least another $80 for inletting the stock. I also own both Manners & McMillan which are excellent choices if your budget and desired feature set supports them.

Never had a chassis so I can't elaborate to that end, but there are increasingly good options available.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    boiler, yes, the sporter barrel. I've been looking for awhile and I knew I wanted to upgrade anyway, so when I seen this one available I decided to go with it. Yeah, I believe I'll go with the Timney, I'll have to compare them because I'm not familiar with the differences. I do like the Medalist series, but I'm sure I'll look at others when the time comes.
    Adding all of this up in my head makes me think this will take longer than I initially thought. I know I'll get multiple answers but I'm thinking this order. Scope, then stock or barrel (can't really use one without the other), then the trigger job. Does that sound about right?

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Copy that, makes sense. By the way, your initial question about machining the barrel. It's funny how things happen. I just found two different place that do that type of work, one is only 20minutes away, the other is about an hour. So, I've been talking with them to get some type of price. I'll let you know when I have a better feel for it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Copy that, makes sense. By the way, your initial question about machining the barrel. It's funny how things happen. I just found two different place that do that type of work, one is only 20minutes away, the other is about an hour. So, I've been talking with them to get some type of price. I'll let you know when I have a better feel for it.

Id want to make sure they know what they are doing. It might be a good idea to post there names now.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A couple of years ago I got one of the cheap plastic stock 700 ADL's. The price was right, I bought it for what I could get a new action for, so I didn't lose. But man, that stock sucked, lol, and the barrel isn't much better. From what I know, that SPS is a better rifle than what I started with. I knew right away I would want to change everything about it, but I started shooting it anyway, just replacing one thing at a time as I could afford it.

First thing was to install a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16 x 50. I've shot Leupold MK 4's in the Army, and in my mind, that Vortex is at least as nice, and less expensive. Absolutely love it. Wish I would have known about AA Optics at the time, but now I do and his reputation is well known to be top notch. I installed this on a 20 moa base. Wish I could remember who made the base and rings, but they were a premium mfg, probably LaRue.

I called Mark Penrod (Gunsmith in North Manchester, IN) for his advice, and he said replacing the stock would be the best improvement for the money on this rifle.
    Got a great deal on an HS Precision stock with adjustable cheek piece and Badger Ordnance bottom metal. Is the HS Precision the best? No, but it's pretty good for the money, and it sure beats the stock that came with it. I am on a budget, so I do what I can.

I actually held off on the trigger. I adjusted the Remington factory trigger for weight of pull and creep. Once again, not too bad, but a Timney is in the plans.

My experience with my barrel has been mixed. I broke it in, and the finish isn't terrible. I don't get a ton of copper fouling, and I can shoot it without accuracy degrading from fouling for quite a while. However.... The throat is cut waaaaaay to long. To seat at the lands, I would have to load to 2.940 C.O.A.L (SAAMI length is 2.810 I believe). This makes my nice magazine fed rifle with $80 AI mags a single shot. Also to load my 178 A-Max bullets at that length, they're basically falling out of the brass. So right now my loads are making about an 1/8" jump to the lands. Also, I've noticed as the barrel warms up, my groups start spreading vertically, especially at longer distances. A group at 300 that measures 1.25" wide will measure 3" tall or more. Is this due to the jump? Maybe the stress from the hammer forging is causing it to do this as the temp in the barrel steel changes. Not sure, but it sucks. I asked Mark Penrod if he would cut the barrel back at the breech and rechamber it, but he said those chambers are so bad, you cant be sure they're even concentric or even parallel to the bore. So this year I'm going to have him install a Krieger or a Bartlein on it and be done with it. All that being said, with good reloads on a cold bore, I have shot a lot of groups in the 5/8 to 3/4 MOA neighborhood at 100.

I know it's a long post, but maybe you can glean something from my struggles.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Vette, the first one is Southern Indiana Precision, I believe that they are top notch, not sure I can afford them at this time?
    The second one is a brand new place near Vincennes, White River Firearms. He's been emailing and his prices sound pretty reasonable.

Woobie, the long post was just fine, I appreciate any and all feedback, this is just more info for me. I am looking at the Vortex line and I'll be sure to contact Alan when I do.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vette, the first one is Southern Indiana Precision, I believe that they are top notch, not sure I can afford them at this time?
    The second one is a brand new place near Vincennes, White River Firearms. He's been emailing and his prices sound pretty reasonable.

Woobie, the long post was just fine, I appreciate any and all feedback, this is just more info for me. I am looking at the Vortex line and I'll be sure to contact Alan when I do.

Ive never used SIP, but Ive heard of them enough in circles that I would not hesitate to give them a shot. The obvious choice would be AJ Brown about a hour from you in Bloomfield. He is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but he is good enough, and respected enough he doesn't have to be cheap to stay busy.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Thank Vette. I've not heard of AJ Brown, but I've not been around this type of shooting before either. I don't want to price myself out of doing anything, but I want to make sure it's right the first time too. I do appreciate the options and advice.

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Isaac is the one that's been messaging me. It looks like they do some awesome work. I wish I could have just had them build me a complete rifle, but maybe at a later time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wouldn't hesitate to use Isaac or AJ. I have personal experience with AJ's work and it was flawless, Isaac is a stand up guy and I'd use him if I had a current need. Either will serve you well.

Top Bottom