Build Complete: A gift for a most loyal friend...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can be a handful. Being friends with me is not often easy. Being a friend with me for twenty five years most certainly an award-worthy achievement. 2014 was something of a signpost year for one of my close friends: he turned 40, got married, and welcomed a son into the world (that was actually 2013, but close enough to include). 2014 also marks 25 years of putting up with my antics, an exceptional achievement deserving of an exceptional reward. My first thought was to present him with a nice Swiss watch...a nice automatic in stainless, but I don't think he would wear it, and I want it to be something he will use...maybe even pass down to his son someday.

I decided to build him a rifle:

IMG_0008_zpsd9b40d31.jpg

The build:

I started with a Colt "Government Profile" M4 Barrel chambered in 5.56 NATO (1/7 twist). I fitted that to a CMMG upper receiver (w/ forward assist) with a CMMG bolt carrier group. I fitted a Troy folding battle sight and a DoubleStar mil-spec charging handle. I finished the upper out with a Knights Armament quad rail and rail covers. I fitted an INGO dust cover for good measure.

For the lower I used a Surplus Arms and Ammo forged lower. These are (supposedly) made by Aero Precision, and the machining and finish are OUTSTANDING, better than my Colt or my old Bushmaster by far. I fitted a CMMG lower parts kit, a mil-spec buffer tube and buffer. I like Hogue-style grips, so I added a Rock River Arms-branded Hogue-stype grip, and a generic ambi safety. I added a Magpul ACS stock because I prefer the modified cheek weld.

To make it "presentation-worthy" I added a basic rifle case and sling, a couple of Gen M3 PMags, and a Magpul "Bullet" take-down pin tool. I also tossed in a set of mil-spec hand guards, stock, grip , and dust cover. Sort of an "AR-15 Starter Kit"

He would never consider buying an AR-15 of his own, but he is a military rifle guy (mostly Dubya Dubya Eye Eye stuff), so it seems right to me.

What do you guys think of my idea?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll be your friend. :D

That's an impressive gift. You guys must really be tight.

I have known him since the beginning of High School. We were roommates after school in Atlanta (GA). He was part of the infamous "Shopping Cart Incident" of 2001.

Besides, I owe him for that thing that time, in that place with that guy...and I'll never forget that.

I think that's a great way to get someone into black rifles. And a great way to show your appreciation for his friendship over the years. Well done sir!

That was part of my thinking as well. I hope it gets him hooked!

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Shopping cart incident....Did you require a "ride home" after an evening of libations?

Three of my friends and I went out for a pub crawl one evening, it went swimmingly! At the end of the evening we had taken a cab to the Waffle House that was closest to our shared home. This was in Atlanta (GA) in the years following the Atlanta Olympics. The city was growing and had a vibrant night life, it was a great time to be there. Anyway, the closest Waffle House was the one in front of the Oglethorpe/Brookhaven MARTA station on Peachtree, near North Druid Hills. This was a little less than a mile from the house.

After finishing our "meals" we had to make our way home. None of us had a car since we knew we would all be drinking, and no one was willing to spring for another cab, so we began to walk. We walked a couple hundred meters to the big intersection at North Druid Hills and Peachtree, where we took a shortcut behind the corner bank branch. By this time well over three minutes had passed since I had last urinated, so I simply had to stop and pee. The area behind the bank, next to the dumpster, would be perfect.

...and the it where we first set eyes on her. I'm not sure who saw her first, my roommate or me, but we reacted at the same time...why walk when you can ride?

So we dug her out of the pile of leaves and sticks and set her back on her wheels and gave her a go. It was breathtaking. As I cruised down the hills and curves of North Druid Hills road with the wind in my hair I felt alive...hell, I felt Divine.

Fair is fair, and soon enough it was my turn to push. My roommate hopped in the basket, and I began to push. Our other two friend were lagging behind some, having no faith in our exit strategy. Atlanta is pretty hilly, so I got to a point where I really had to put my head down and give it my all in order to keep the speed up.

It was about that time that my roommate remarked the world had started flashing blue

So there I was, at 0430 hrs, drunk as three sailors, pushing my roommate up North Druid Hills road in a shopping cart, being pulled over by the Atlanta police. He took our IDs, asked us a few questions. Things seemed to be going well until we were asked to explain our chosen mode of transport:

Us: "We were just going home, officer."

APD: "In a stolen Publix shopping cart?"

Us: "We didn't steal it, we found it behi.."

APD: "Is it yours?"

It was about this time that the other cop showed up. I know what happens when the second cop shows up...we go to jail. The one went over to the other, told the story, they both laughed riotously...and then something happened, their demeanor changed. The first one hurried over, threw our IDs at us and and barked: "GO STRAIGHT HOME".

We took the shopping cart STRAIGHT HOME.

The whole time my other roommate, the smart one, had been hiding in the bushes waiting to see what happened. It is friends like this you need the most in life, not the ones who joyride stolen shopping carts on the abandoned streets of early morning Atlanta with you...the ones who hang back and post bail once you sober up.

A guy like that deserves a rifle.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Memory's.
    If you make it all the way through this life with a handful (3 to 5) people you can call friends, true come and get me at 3:30 AM friends. Help move and hide the body friends........build them a rifle.......:)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Very cool gift! Even more neat that you built it for him rather than just going out and buying one!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Very cool gift! Even more neat that you built it for him rather than just going out and buying one!

Yeah this^

I would be ecstatic if one of my buddies showed up at my door with a plain Wyndham or Del-Ton or something straight off the shelf. But to build one is a step or two above that, especially with those quality parts. Well done, sir.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I agree with your gift paul! Great and practical gesture.

A friend who has enough sense to hang back is indeed the kind of friend who should have an AR.

Why put another modern autoloading sporting rifle in the gun safe when you can instead put it in the hands of someone you trust with your life?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    That's so cool, I had a shopping cart incident in 2001 as well but it involved me driving my truck through a mostly empty Wal-Mart parking lot seeing how far my truck could "launch" shopping carts. As it turns out shopping carts are surprisingly springy and tend to "fly" when you hit them. At least the metal ones. Anyhow, the friend with me that day wouldn't do anything nearly as cool as what you did for your friend so kudos to you for at least recognizing your friend's good deeds.

Top Bottom