• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    The title says it all. I don't know jack about long guns. I've shot several rounds through an ar15 chambered in 223 and liked it. I'd like to buy or build a long gun of my own. Do you go ar platform, or ak platform? What caliber? I thought if i was just going to peruse various message boards for an answer, i'd start here. It would most likely be used for target shooting and things of that nature.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you're just looking to dip your toe in the waters you could start with a .22 rifle and work up from there. You can find a range of good .22 rifles priced anywhere from $150-$300, depending on how advanced you want to get. It's also cheap to shoot (if you can find ammo for it).

As to the AR vs AK debate, both are fun to shoot and are reliable. An AR is generally easier to customize, modify and is a little easier to set-up for longer range shooting if you ever want to go out to distances beyond 300 yards. They can be configured a thousand different ways.

I have both an AR and an AK and I like them both. I'm pretty new to rifle shooting myself so I come at this from a fairly fresh perspective. Let's just say, when I first got interested in guns a few years ago it was through handguns. Right now I own 7 guns total, and 5 of them are long guns.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    AR chassis rifles are as common as McDonalds cups littering a roadway. Buy one you think you like. Shoot it. From there you can either keep it if that is the style you like, modify/upgrade it to what you want, or trade it in for something else. Nothing is more wasteful of time and money as assembling what you think you want, only to find out it is not. Since you openly profess that you are just starting, give yourself the gift of education.

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If you want value for your money you could always look at an old surplus rifle, maybe a mosin. If what you really want is an AR or AK though, then I would go that route. As your first you should probably go with a prebuilt in a common caliber. Now I don't personally have an AR but have shot several and have read about a lot. One that I have seen recommended a lot for people new to AR's is the Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport. I'm sure some one on here owns one and could tell you if its any good.

flhultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    corydon area
    AR
    Know what local prices are on a complete gun is , Check out a large gun show buy a complete upper and lower the 2 pins is all it takes to snap it together .

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    KS&E has been having M&P15 Sports on sale for $579. You might want to call an make sure he has one in stock.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeti,
    I'm in Lafayette, and I'm just about ready to assemble an AR15 in .223/5.56
    If you'd like to see one go together in person, we might be able to work something out.
    If nothing else watching one go together gives you a lot better understanding of the mechanics of an AR platform rifle.

I used one in the Marine Corps. years ago, but never really understood how they work until I built one.

Pm me if you're interested.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    After you buy your rifle and some ammo, attend an Appleseed and learn how to shoot it safely and accurately. Attend the Appleseed BEFORE you start developing any BAD rifle shooting habits.

If you don't know about Appleseed, check out their web site ... Project Appleseed Home

Here's a direct link to the 2015 Indiana schedule. There will be more dates posted, so if there's no match with your schedule, check back ... Appleseed Schedule

You can't go wrong attending an Appleseed if you're just starting into rifles.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yeti,
    I'm in Lafayette, and I'm just about ready to assemble an AR15 in .223/5.56
    If you'd like to see one go together in person, we might be able to work something out.
    If nothing else watching one go together gives you a lot better understanding of the mechanics of an AR platform rifle.

I used one in the Marine Corps. years ago, but never really understood how they work until I built one.

Pm me if you're interested.

I appreciate that very much!

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Looking for a good AR to "get your feet wet"? I would go with either the S&W, Ruger, or Mossberg. All are going to do what you want them to, and can be had around $600, maybe even cheaper online. Or camp on Armslist and wait till someone sells their Frankenbuild for a price you like.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    What do you want to do with it? Plink? Hunt? Accuracy? Scope? Red dot? Iron sights? Competition? AR is the easy suggestion but you should know what you want to do with it. The purpose my push you to a bolt gun. Or if it is an AR you have caliber and cost choices to make! Barrel choices all still based around purpose

Top Bottom