• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeanSports

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Columbus
    I own a small business out of my home. I carry mainly Magpul products among other brands and parts/ accessories for the AR15 platform.

I sell about $35k/ month.

I need to find some other products to carry. Magpul only has so many products and I am pretty maxed out on stock for the items I carry.

As my business grows I need more product to carry to increase revenue expand and all that.

What else should I carry?

More AR15 parts/ accessories but a different brand?
    Shotgun parts?
    AK Parts?

Would like to stick with parts/ accessories that obviously are popular and would sell well.

What do you guys think?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you are advancing your business in the regular threads the Mods will take issue. There is a fee to advertise. Just saying this might end poorly for you.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    If you are advancing your business in the regular threads the Mods will take issue. There is a fee to advertise. Just saying this might end poorly for you.

CM you have been here way longer than I have, but he didnt post any contact info for his business and can't even PM so I think its safe to say he is just doing some 'Market research' ;)

AR accessories are going to move the easiest. Its the most customized gun out there. That being said, AK guys are dying to have someone that stocks accessories so we can actually put hands on product before we chuck out good money on poor parts. Same with some of the other platforms. M1As, HK91, FAL all good low volume areas to get into. Maybe the Midwest Industries line?
    Shotgun stuff woukd be nice too. Different stocks and forend options. Lights and sights.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I opened this thread thinking it was more along the lines of a "dealer" (:shady:) asking what else he should carry as far as guns go to protect himself in the event a "transaction" goes bad.

I was kind of disappointed.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    There will be an unending need for people to buy parts for AR's since they are so easy to change / upgrade. There are other high quality companies who make accessories for the AR. And there are certainly some clients who prefer products other than Magpul. It might be good to diversify your AR accessories portfolio in case something goes awry with Magpul (albeit unlikely) in the years to come. YHM, Wilson Combat, Smith Enterprises, Troy, Larue, Midwest Industries, Rock River Arms, JP Enterprises, Daniel Defense...Plenty of good companies to choose from. But I am not prevy to what it takes to be a distributor / dealer for any of these companies.

I have seen the AK market really kicking up in the past 4 years or so. It seems that in the past, most AK upgrades were marginal quality at best and difficult for the end user to install. But now there are some AK accessories that are far easier for the end user to install and are much, much higher quality. With the AK becoming even more popular than it was, I think the AK accessories market has no where to go but up. Especially with the newer crop of product that is available today. It might be a good idea to get into that market now as it is rising.

Outside of that, you need to have a vision and a mission for your business. Without that, it becomes very difficult because you are always working from behind...ie...when all you do is deal with things as they come up, you will never make the time to be ready for the future. If you don't plan for the future, then eventually you will fail or give up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM you have been here way longer than I have, but he didnt post any contact info for his business and can't even PM so I think its safe to say he is just doing some 'Market research' ;)

AR accessories are going to move the easiest. Its the most customized gun out there. That being said, AK guys are dying to have someone that stocks accessories so we can actually put hands on product before we chuck out good money on poor parts. Same with some of the other platforms. M1As, HK91, FAL all good low volume areas to get into. Maybe the Midwest Industries line?
    Shotgun stuff woukd be nice too. Different stocks and forend options. Lights and sights.

I get that. Just letting him know before the wolf pack descends.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    What about stuff for a 10/22. Isn't it the second most modified gun out there today?

Not with the ammo shortage. I let my 22 stuff go and have one left. Probably let that one go soon if I find the right deal. Used to shoot a lot of 22 haven't seen ammo worth buying.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I opened this thread thinking it was more along the lines of a "dealer" (:shady:) asking what else he should carry as far as guns go to protect himself in the event a "transaction" goes bad.

I was kind of disappointed.

Same here.

To the op. 10/22 accessories would be a good option. Barrels, stocks and some triggers would be a good start. The ammo shortage has hurt the line some but it will always be there.

You could also become a paid advertiser here on INGO. Build a good customer base and they will tell you what you need to stock.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Magpul is great stuff and obviously sells well.

its going to be hard to compete with large online retailers for many items. You might be able to set yourself apart by researching packages. I've noticed a lot of times if I need certain things that go together I have to order from separate places and pay extra shipping. Offer things that can got together for example a tool that's needed for a certain install. Just an idea

DeanSports

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Columbus
    Church Mouse I appreciate your concern and letting me know, just I am honestly just looking for some help.

I really appreciate the help so far.

Reading your replies, and looking into some other companies, I have access to most of them. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial to go into providing barrels, triggers, LPKs, bolts etc, (working parts), or stick with accessories.

I know just about every gun owner wants to accessorize. But not to sure how much is spent on upgrades as far as parts. I have always built my own with parts I felt would last a while so I don't upgrade parts too often unless needed. Just Accessories when I want to add something.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    You sell parts for one type of firearm. It's the most popular currently, so it's probably worthwhile to stick to that. If you're looking to diversify you need to look to what enthusiasts want or more importantly what they need or think they need. Ammunition comes to mind immediately. Transfers. "Required" parts, like Ruger mkiii bushing to remove the magazine disconnect, new extractors for 10/22's, Apex triggers for M&P's, etc...

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I couldn't find many retailers for a utg pro super slim rail or a a rail height adjustable gas block. vltor a5 buffer tube and spring/weight kit would be nice also as everyone sells them separate. I hated shopping on eBay for some of my parts.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    35K a month at what, a 25 or 30% mark up? Your side business is out earning most people here. There are shops that do not have that kind of revenue most months. It sounds like you already know what to sell.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I would think that diversifying your product lines within the same category would be your best bet.

People already come to you for AR accessories; offer more choices within that category. Magpul is good stuff for what it is, but I tend to think of it as low end stuff. We're I in your situation, I would probably add accessories from another company that cost about 150% of the same accessory from Magpul.

Top Bottom