• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I have a hi point carbine and it has the open sights on it. I want to put some
    optics on it. I am torn between a trueglo red dot and a trueglo red dot 2x.

What would you guys suggest? I have never used a red dot type scope before.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just picked up a really cheap red dot (brand unknown) for mine and haven't tried it yet, but I get good co-witness with the stock sights. I don't have any experience with the 2x type of red dot. If you have the opportunity to compare the 1x with the 2x, that would probably be ideal to see what you like best.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I just don't think I'd trust that polymer rail to keep it in place firmly enough. I'm staying with iron sights on mine.
    I think the rail should be fine.....The iron sights are attached to it. So I'm thinking if the rail is
    no good for a red dot then it wouldn't be good for the iron sights either, or am I missing something.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think the rail should be fine.....The iron sights are attached to it. So I'm thinking if the rail is
    no good for a red dot then it wouldn't be good for the iron sights either, or am I missing something.

Optics are heavier, and more top heavy, so they are harder to hold in place, but I would not hesitate to mount on they poly rail. You will be fine if you get a dot that has a quality mount, and holds zero.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Optics are heavier, and more top heavy, so they are harder to hold in place, but I would not hesitate to mount on they poly rail. You will be fine if you get a dot that has a quality mount, and holds zero.

^^^^ he's probably right. I got mine out and looked at it after I posted and if I wanted a red dot, I'd mount it on there.

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    Hi Point mounts truglo red dots on carbines from the factory so it should be fine. I would stick with a 1x red dot, it is a Hi Point after all.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I just converted my 'new' used 995 from the original stock to the TS. I'm thinking a cheap red dot from Walmart will do nicely. They are a lot of fun to shoot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hi Point mounts truglo red dots on carbines from the factory so it should be fine. I would stick with a 1x red dot, it is a Hi Point after all.

There are a lot of times the factory puts something on a gun to make a more attractive package, but that doesn't mean it will last. Most of the time when you see a "package deal" its not because its a great idea, or designed for it, its because they can add 10 dollars to production cost, and 50 dollars to the price.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    They are a lot of fun to shoot.

I love mine. When I get frustrated shooting my pistol at the 25 yd range I go to, I get out the 995 and have fun chewing out the center of the target.

One thing I did do to mine was to round off the bottom end of that plastic trigger to make it easier on my finger.

Top Bottom