• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Welp, time to start another build thread.
    Unlike my M1 Garand build thread, I will be tracking costs with this one. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/311557-start-something-beautiful.html
    My goal is to self build a competition rifle for under the cost of buying the factory comparison.

Today I stopped over at ZX gun and bought this:
    ZX Gun | Savage Trophy Hunter XP Bolt 30-06 Springfield 22" Walnut

588.49 Rifle combo w/tax
    -75$ mail in rebate
    -100$ Sold scope, 1/2/2015
    +12.25 for bolt release conversion
    +49.50 for adjustable cheek hardware, http://www.kmwlrs.com/LoggerHead_ACP_Hardware
    -90$ for factory barrel sold on eBay 1/9/2015
    -53$ for factory stock sold on eBay 1/12/2015
    +379 for Shilen 28" 308 10 twist stainless select match barrel
    +28 for ground recoil lug
    +28 for ground barrel nut
    +10 for 1-1/2lb trigger spring
    +90 for V Block
    +128 for PTG Bottom Metal, Steath Mag
    +35 for PTG Nat Lambeth Bolt Lift Kit
    +75 for PTG Custom Ground Over-sized Bolt Body
    +69.50 for PTG Bolt Head

Total: 1174.74

Here is the plan so far:
    Strip the barrel, stock, scope, and mounts off and sell them.
    Purchased Master Class, F Class Prone stock: http://www.masterclassstocks.com/fclass.html
    Purchase a Shilen barrel, 28" 10 twist .308 bull, from http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/shilen-savage-barrels/
    Purchase a v block from Whidden
    Purchase competition barrel nut and recoil lug from NSS
    Purchase bipod from?

I will start with the pictures as soon as I receive the rifle, hopefully next week.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    What yardage are you planning to shoot? Since your going with a custom rifle have you gave thought to the 6.5mm cartridges? Good luck on your build, F-class is a fun sport :yesway:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    What yardage are you planning to shoot? Since your going with a custom rifle have you gave thought to the 6.5mm cartridges? Good luck on your build, F-class is a fun sport :yesway:

I'm planning on shooting FT/R to start, so I'm limited to either .308 or .223. Basically going to shoot whatever matches are within driving distance. I'm going to be dragging around the guy right above your post to most of it :)

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Why did you choose an '06 length action?

There is a possibility that I will be changing clambering on this rifle in the future, so I don't this to be a limiting factor. This will let me run cases based off of the '06 if I want to.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A friend in New Haven (a Club Director) built a 6mm.06 for a long range rifle a few years back. It has a lot of promise. I don't know if he ever shot it.

I sure wish I could convince you that shooting with iron sights at 1000 yards, and shooting clean, is far more satisfying than F-Class.....Plus it makes you eligible for lots more prizes...

But have fun building your rifle and shooting it.

Here is my Long Range gun. Since it is in .308 and has irons, it can be used in Palma matches. You can't shoot Palma with a scoped gun.....

Our mutual friend has a Creighton Audette long range rifle that used to belong to Mike Gingher. That rifle would be a great basis for a modern .308 LR rifle too.. I used it to win bronze in the Police Olympics in 2001.

33mrhhl.jpg

Last edited:

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    I really like the stock you have picked out, for me the Anshutz style fits me well. I had a Criterion 28" in .308 and really liked it but I wasn't shooting it much and decided to sell the rifle, wish I wouldn't have. Are you staying with the Savage trigger or going for an aftermarket?

Good luck with your build, it sounds like you have a really good start.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Thanks guys! Dean, maybe I will have to try that 1000 yards with iron sights at some point. Need to be able to see that far first lol.
    thank you Nate! I will let you guys know.
    i plan on sticking with the accu trigger to start. I will see how things progress though.

jrose361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2011
    I am in the Fort also, where are some matches to shoot FT/R ?
    I just picked up a Savage 11 in .223 and was looking for places to try out

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I am in the Fort also, where are some matches to shoot FT/R ?
    I just picked up a Savage 11 in .223 and was looking for places to try out

FWRR does some NRA High Power stuff, but I'm not at all sure what the membership requirements etc for the matches.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well after doing some research, add the following two items to the list:
    PTG Bolt Body
    Savage Long Action Bolt Body - No Flutes - $75.00 : Pacific Tool and Gauge, Inc - StoreFront Home, Redefining Quality in Manufacturing
    PTG Bolt Head
    Precision Machined Savage Bolt Heads - $69.50 : Pacific Tool and Gauge, Inc - StoreFront Home, Redefining Quality in Manufacturing
    PTG Bolt Lift Kit
    Nat Lambeth Inspired Savage Bolt Lift Kit - $135.00 : Pacific Tool and Gauge, Inc - StoreFront Home, Redefining Quality in Manufacturing

I am still looking for a source for an inexpensive receiver mandrel to square the face. I'm playing around with the idea of paying someone to machine one vs just farming out the machine work.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I guess the FWRR matches are "unofficial" in a sense that the NRA doesnt recognize the COF? Would still be good practice and range time in a new discipline.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    [QUOnz;5529466]I guess the FWRR matches are "unofficial" in a sense that the NRA doesnt recognize the COF? Would still be good practice and range time in a new discipline.[/QUOTE]

NRA Highpower and CMP matches. I'm pretty sure Mike is still sending scores to NRA for classification....

Not sure why you think they are unofficial matches?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Picked the rifle up after work. It lasted about two hours before I started pulling it apart :). Provided wenig is open Friday, I will be placing the order for my stock.

IMG_1242.JPG

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Another quick update to this thread.

Just ordered my first part for the rifle: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/139590C.htm
    After looking to options for trigger guards, bottom metals, etc, it became apparent that having a bottom bolt release was going to create more of a pain in the ass than anything. Found that swapping the sear and relieving a small amount of material on the receiver will allow me to convert to the top release.

Also, I sold the Nikon scope that was mounted on this rifle. I will update the build pricing in the first post.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Decided I am too impatient and cheap to buy an action wrench. Decided to make a crude copy of the wheeler setup. It worked very well.
    IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

Top Bottom