• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I just got back from shooting my Core 15 AR and sighting in my Strikefire. I had only previously put around 15 rds through it with no problems. Today however I had three light primer strikes. I was inserting the mag, stripping one round off and then dropping it, so I could set the rifle down on a rest to shoot when it happened on all three occasions. If I ran a mag continuously I had no problems. I'm thinking I wasn't being "aggressive" enough when stripping the rounds, and maybe the bolt wasn't seating completely. I haven't taken the rifle down yet to take a look, but wanted to get some input.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I the bolt isn't closing all of the way, you should not be seeing a firing pin stike on the primer. I would suspect an under powered hammer spring.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Is it possible, I'm not seeing a light primer strike, but rather a dimple from the bolt closing and the firing pin floating and hitting the round?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If the round isn't completely clambering, no, that should even happen. The bolt face would be too far away.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I'm going to break it down and have a look later tonight. I have to think it had something to do with stripping individual rounds off.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    It is, I verified, thanks for the heads up though. I'm going to go back and shoot some more and see if and when I can isolate the problem. Hopefully won't happen any more.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I put a lower together with a Del-Ton kit (I don't think Del-Ton is to blame, just where the kit came from) and had this same problem except it didn't matter whether the mag was in or not. Ended up being the weight of the hammer. Replaced it and the problem was never seen again.

Don't know if that's your problem, but another place to look.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I haven't had a chance to go out and run it again, but I really appreciate all the input so far guys!

Top Bottom