• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I am going to buy one here soon but wonder how folks like these newer ones? I am going to buy the basic model, not a Ranch or a plastic stocked one too. I am also wonder how well the TAPCO 30 round mags work for you folks too. They are a lot cheaper and 10 more rounds than the Ruger 20 round mags so I was sort of hoping they were good. Personally I have never had any luck with ProMag anythings so I am not wanting to get any of those but TAPCO mag look sturdy enough so if they feed well...

So please relate your exprieces with both the rifle and these mags or any other mags than Ruger's if you please. :ingo:

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Mini 14's are a lot of fun but not known for great accuracy. I had one and it was rock solid, very reliable and fun to shoot. With that said, as soon as the barrel heated up accuracy fell. As far as magazines go, I found the Ruger ones to be the best but I never tried extended mags. I sold mine but if I were to get another 223 it would be an AR style.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Just got home from shooting my Mini this afternoon, love it!! The accuracy thing was with the older models, then new ones have a heavier barrel so doesn't lose any accuracy over time. I probably only shot a hundred rounds today through mine but my groups tightened up towards then end. As far as mags go that's the one thing that kind of sucks with mini's. The only ones I buy are the factory mags, with the factory mags there is no issue with them but off brand mags not so good. The nice thing about the factory mags is they are really well made and very sturdy so they last forever.

It will never win any accuracy contest with other .223's but its a great, fun gun and its way more accurate then I am so it suits me just fine!! Plus I love the grand style action reminds my of a WWII carbine. :D

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have the tactical in synthetic stock. Fun to shoot and accurate enough. I only use factory 20 round mags. Heating barrels and stringing is only on the pre-58xxxx series.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have the tactical in synthetic stock. Fun to shoot and accurate enough. I only use factory 20 round mags. Heating barrels and stringing is only on the pre-58xxxx series.
    IUprof is correct. The accuracy concerns were dealt with for the most part by redesigning the barrel. I have only tried the factory magazines and have read that non Ruger mags can be troublesome. I didn't bother trying other magazines in the Mini.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I got a Ranch rifle awhile back and I'm very happy with it. I think the accuracy issues were over-stated, even with the older models.
    I've only used Ruger mags in mine, but I've shot an older model with some no-name 30-round mags that didn't work very well.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Only downside I've noticed is that it dings up the brass and slings them a country mile.

But that motivated me to finally make myself a brass catcher.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thanks, I did have one of the ones that lost accuracy onece the barrel warmed. I really just want the regular one as it isn't something I choose for anything other than going to the range. I have .223 AK's for serious situations, not a big AR fan at all and I am not trying to open that can of worms either. :)

Glad to hear that the accuracy issues have been dealt with and I figured as much when I checked one out. The fore end is longer than they were plus the barrel is thinker walled which makes for a m ore stable POA vs POI situation. Also Ruger has begun selling the previously LEO 30 round metal mags to the public. Of course they are expensive as hecl which was why I hope that someone had experience with the TAPCO mags as they seem to get mixed reviews from people. I boought one while they were on sale at Gander for when I have the rifle (maybe next month or certainly by March if I have to do a lay away). So I will know myself one way or another how well the function. I really only want them for the range anyway as I found a few 20 round mags from when I owned one previously. I will also get a few of the factory 30 rounders just because you never can have too many magazines. :ar15:

Thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming. :yesway:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    The Tapco 30 round mags work great. Just make sure they are gen 2. The first ones they made didn't lock in tight and had feed issues. Tapco will replace these with gen 2 mags for free.

Dave

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I guess I need to do some Mini 14 homework, I had heard about the accuracy issues, but never knew what the culprit was. I have AR's and a 5.56 AK as well, but with a user name like mine, I think I need a Mini too.
    I have over the years had the opportunity to fire Mini 14's, and never had an after market mag work 100% of the time. That is the one thing that kept me buying AR's, the price of the Ruger mags. However I am a big fan of the M1 Garand and the M1A, and a wood stocked Mini 14 would fit nicely into my current collection.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'm sure there are some Mini 14 experts on this forum. I could use some info, which ones to avoid, and which ones to buy.
    It seems like I see serial number ranges as a determining factor, but I don't know which serial numbers and why. So how about it guys, which ones are the "good" ones, and which ones should I avoid? Keep in mind I shop on the secondary market, as in gun shows and the classifieds.
    Thanks

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really like the Mini, especially the newer ones. Personally, I prefer the Tactical because I like the threaded heavier barrel and the sights. Accuracy is much better than my other one from the 80's. As far as mags, factory Ruger ones are the way to go. You might check out CDNN, they tend to have really good deals on them.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    The tapco mags are ok but they sure aren't factory ruger. The main thing is lockup in the receiver. If your gun runs the one you bought I wouldn't hesitate to buy more. My ranch rifle loved tapco mags but the old 180 series pencil barrel model I have now is strictly a factory mag proposition.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    With all the aftermarket accessories made for the Mini-14, I'd love to find an M-14 type butt plate for my ranch rifle.

Even if it didn't have the cool trap-door, it would look a lot better, and wouldn't be as "grabby" on your clothes, as the padded butt plate that comes on it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The pencil barrel mini's tended to walk their point of impact as the barrel heated up.
    If the barrel tapers from the gas block to the muzzle, it is a newer model and shouldn't "walk" its shots.
    The pencil barrel models can be cured by cryogenic treatment to relieve metal stresses.
    I had mine done by 300 Below and now the POI doesn't shift with barrel heat. Cryogenic Tempering Services, Cryo Treatment Services by 300 Below, Inc.

In my experience, Ruger magazines are worth any extra cost.

I would strongly recommend the Ranch Rifle for the ease of scope mounting.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Thanks Doug! I will check them out. I live with the stringing from mine when the barrel heats up but will check the cryo treatment out. I am on my sixth mini I bought this early model because it was super cheap (375 with 5 factory mags and an old weaver k2 scope)and in excellent shape. Never had a ranch rifle with accuracy problems fwiw.

Top Bottom