• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It's finally happening. I'm finally getting a long range bolt gun. Here's a parts breakdown:

1) Remington 700SS 5R Milspec. 24" stainless barrel and action. Jeweled bolt. 11.25" Twist. 5R rifling. The rumor going around is that the barrels are the same as the M24 sniper rifle, just recontoured to a varmint/heavy.

2) XLR Industries Element Chassis with Tactical Butt Stock. It takes AICS mags.

3) Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA. Mil-dot reticle. 1/4 MOA adjustments. Weaver 20 MOA base. Primary Arms Medium 30mm rings. Vortex Sunshade.

Parts should start rolling in the next few days. The 700 actually comes with an aluminum bedded HS Precision stock that I'll sell to fund powder, primers, brass, and boolitz. I've got a Lyman single stage press, just need dies. I'm gonna find what it likes to eat and see how far it'll go. Maybe one day make it to 1,000 yards. Thanks to everybody on INGO for your inspiration and knowledge. I'll post up pics as it starts to come together. I can't wait!!

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Should look a lot like this but with a longer barrel. :)
    898F7A61-5361-45D3-9FAD-3545E2E1780A_zpsqdk9ykel.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    great choices all around.... EXCEPT

you want the adjustments on your scope to match the reticle.... Don't go with a mil reticle and MOA adjustments, or vise versa... you will want either mil/mil or moa/moa

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Of course I would've preferred matching reticle and turrets. I also would've preferred First Focal Plane. Or a Leupold or a Zeiss or a Nightforce. I went with the highest quality for the pricepoint I was at that had the things that were musts on my lists like good magnification, good clear glass, and a mildot reticle. I did a lot of research before ending up with that one. I know there are cheaper scopes out there that have more features, but the quality was hit or miss in my opinion. The Vortex is a great scope. The biggest reason I chose this scope? I already had it and it meant I could use more budget on the rifle build.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Of course I would've preferred matching reticle and turrets. I also would've preferred First Focal Plane. Or a Leupold or a Zeiss or a Nightforce. I went with the highest quality for the pricepoint I was at that had the things that were musts on my lists like good magnification, good clear glass, and a mildot reticle. I did a lot of research before ending up with that one. I know there are cheaper scopes out there that have more features, but the quality was hit or miss in my opinion. The Vortex is a great scope. The biggest reason I chose this scope? I already had it and it meant I could use more budget on the rifle build.

I can understand why you are using that scope since you already had it, was assuming it was a new purchase for this rifle. Best of luck and hope it shoots great.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Next question: what seems like a fair price for selling everything off the 700? HS Precision aluminum bedded stock. Stainless bottom metal w/hinged floor plate. X-Mark Pro trigger.

Top Bottom