• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had one in the shop in 45 Long Colt and (as a Marlin fan) I tried my best to find some fault with the Henry....Though I tried I could not...Then one of my regulars came in, a true "gun snob" (and a Marlin collector to boot!) and snagged it right up for $500 IIRC...He danced on his way out the door......

I think they are excellent and smooth as butter...

Oh wait...I found a fault...They are made in New Jersey...:)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I played with a .357 version at my LGS. It felt very solid and appeared well made with decent fit and finish. My one complaint was the length of pull was a tad long. I like a shorter lop, say around 12.5"-13". The Henry comes in at 14.5" compared to the Marlin 1894 at 13.5"

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    To be honest, IDGARA which state the rifle is produced in or where the company is located. If I did, I would likely never buy anything.

Thanks indiuky and snorko. That is what I was hoping to hear. I will have to take a look at the LOP and see how it matches up. worse comes to works, I can always cut the stock and put a new buttpad on.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That is a beautiful rifle! I've not shot a Henry in anything larger than .22, but the ONLY thing that has kept me from buying on is the way you load it. That's just a personal issue, but I've never heard anything negative about functioning, finish, accuracy, or anything else. I guess I've not read about their customer service because it's not used. :):

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    FIL has one, in .44mag, too. it's pretty sweeeeeet. :)
    I remember the trigger being a bit gritty, probably nothing you couldn't largely smooth out w/ a little dryfire and some boosting. I haven't shot it since it was new... might have to buy a couple boxes and go fix that.
    I missed having peep sights, but whatevs.... :)
    -rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    So what I am hearing is that we need a range date? :)

FIL has one, in .44mag, too. it's pretty sweeeeeet. :)
    I remember the trigger being a bit gritty, probably nothing you couldn't largely smooth out w/ a little dryfire and some boosting. I haven't shot it since it was new... might have to buy a couple boxes and go fix that.
    I missed having peep sights, but whatevs.... :)
    -rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    looking at the pics, his may be a different model. I seem to recall the octagon bbl and brass on his. maybe a regular big boy... whatevs. was fun knocking down bowling pins regardless.

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    4.5 hr round trip. but again, whatevs.
    I'll be there soon for nephew's b-day party.
    you need to get one so I don't have to drive so far to shoot one.

have you looked into what it will take to put a can on it? :)

-rvb

Yes and Yes. It should be here mid next week. And I need to take a measurement from the front of the barrel to see if it is possible to thread it. Already talking to allenm lol

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Yes and Yes. It should be here mid next week. And I need to take a measurement from the front of the barrel to see if it is possible to thread it. Already talking to allenm lol

'at a boy. one of those w/ a can would be just... awesome. it already shoots so freakin' soft. that would be a great hunter setup (since it looks like good stuff like .308 is out).
    -rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    'at a boy. one of those w/ a can would be just... awesome. it already shoots so freakin' soft. that would be a great hunter setup (since it looks like good stuff like .308 is out).
    -rvb

That'd be why I got it and am getting it now. If it looks like it will work out, I will submit the form 1 next week and get the process started...

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Form 1 to shorten the bbl, or to build the can? or... both? :)
    -rvb

For the Can. Barrel is going to stay the 20" for now. If Henry will sell the shortened magazine tube from the other model of the big boy, I might shorten to 16"

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

Decided to place an order for one of these today. Has anyone else had a chance to play with one yet? What did you like and dislike about it?

Only complaint, and its not much of one, is the 1892 copies are prettier. Some of them have feed issues, 'specially in 357/38 so youre on the right track. Have heard some noise about trouble feeding hollowpoints but not consistently and from shooters of widely varying abilities. 240 gr SPs aren't cheap but not worse than 357 and its all moot if you reload. I eventually went with a B92 in 357 mostly for curb appeal. A lot to be said for new/under warranty.

Top Bottom