• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always wanted one, and now I've finally got one. Super excited! Waiting on the FedEx truck this morning was kinda like waiting on Christmas when I was a kid.

CMP Special Grade. Receiver is a Springfield from march of '43. New Criterion barrel, new walnut, and all GI metal, freshly parked. Gonna have to oil the stock (pretty dry.) Can't wait to get her out to the range and ring some steel!
    IMG_20150622_153737_zpsbhylyvu9.jpg
    IMG_20150622_152502043_zpssl9ntt8e.jpg

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've got 2 of them, you'll want another one.
    Nice looking rifle, congratulations!
    Edit to add, make sure you grease her up good in all the right spots.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BTW: Paperwork sent 5/28
    Rifle shipped 6/19

Three weeks turnaround!

I also ordered an M1 bayonet along with 200 rds of loose HXP M2 ball (Greek.) Ammo was mostly '77 and '78 and was in great shape, so I ordered another can. Contacted customer service because they forgot my bayonet scabbard, and everybody I spoke to was extremely nice and helpful.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Congrats! I will warn you, they are addicting!

Hand rub in some PTO (pure tung oil) into that stock and then wipe off the excess. Do that 2 or 3 times and you'll get a bit glossier finish (not too glossy) but more importantly will have good protection on that wood. As it ages it will actually darken up a bit and give that stock the nice patina some of the older stocks have.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Hand rub in some PTO (pure tung oil) into that stock and then wipe off the excess. Do that 2 or 3 times and you'll get a bit glossier finish (not too glossy) but more importantly will have good protection on that wood. As it ages it will actually darken up a bit and give that stock the nice patina some of the older stocks have.

+1 On this technique.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the comments. Researched the stock finish a lot, and found out that is a never ending argument. Was torn between tung and linseed, ended up going with BLO. The stock has darkened up nicely after two coats, and am gonna give it a couple more. I've lubed her up well with Lubriplate in all the right places, and am hoping to run the rifle through it's paces in the next couple days.

Top Bottom