• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    It depends on what you want to use it for. Anything outside of turkey/coyote/waterfowl hunting, I'd say it's unnecessary. Lots of people will tell you that you don't need it for anything, that it doesn't give that much of an advantage for the extra recoil.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you get the chance to run a 3 1/2" chambered pump gun put some serious loads in it and get back to me.
    I have one and it can and will rock you.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Yes, they do hurt. The biggest advantages I see is payload size and retained energy down range. I shoot a lighter 3 1/2 in. turkey load that is two ounces of #5's @ 1300 FPS. Same load in a 3 inch goes 1120 fps. That said, my 12 year old boy has killed 2 turkeys with a 20 gauge shooting a 3 inch, 1-1/4 oz. load going 1180 fps and the birds were just as dead.
    It is not any fun sighting in, but I never feel recoil when I am shooting at a turkey or goose.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a BPS in 3 1/2 inch that I used to use for goose hunting. I didn't mind shooting it personally. I think you probably get a bit more solid hits at the margins because of more pellets. I mostly jump shot from a jon boat or canoe and preferred a faster handling shotgun and most of my shots weren't that distance.

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I thought 3.5 and 3 inch shells had the same amount of powder but the 3.5 has more pellets which in turn makes it kick harder?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yes, they do hurt. The biggest advantages I see is payload size and retained energy down range. I shoot a lighter 3 1/2 in. turkey load that is two ounces of #5's @ 1300 FPS. Same load in a 3 inch goes 1120 fps. That said, my 12 year old boy has killed 2 turkeys with a 20 gauge shooting a 3 inch, 1-1/4 oz. load going 1180 fps and the birds were just as dead.
    It is not any fun sighting in, but I never feel recoil when I am shooting at a turkey or goose.

I agree with the previous posts. 3.5 inch magnums are quite a handful, for the most part, unnecessary.
    The only reason I can think of is to get full load delivery an extra 15-20 yards (geese, maybe coyotes), these magnums will make experienced rifle shooters flinch in my experience. In most shotgun-use scenarios, the extra recoil is not worth the energy downrange (overkill)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy 10 gauge, sudden death to anything in the woods it gets pointed at. Turkeys, raccoons, coyotes, whatever.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with the previous posts. 3.5 inch magnums are quite a handful, for the most part, unnecessary.
    The only reason I can think of is to get full load delivery an extra 15-20 yards (geese, maybe coyotes), these magnums will make experienced rifle shooters flinch in my experience. In most shotgun-use scenarios, the extra recoil is not worth the energy downrange (overkill)

But....they are fun to let your friends shoot.....:):

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Designed because of steel shot.
    Going up 2 shot sizes to maintain some killing aspect (compared to what was lead before)............meant gobbling up payload space in a 3".
    Many folks thought more shot was better in turkey hunting, but with today's choketubes we land enough pellets on target out yonder.
    The issue there is pellet energy...........and a heavy charge moves slower.
    Back around 2000 the American Rifleman ran an article on the then new HV turkey loads.
    Many did not read it, didn't listen to others that did....................and continued to shoot max payloads of shot, usually 6's.............and lost birds.
    Some have claimed enlightenment and gone to lesser charges...............but still hang onto the old ideas.................and run 5's (standard lead, not hevi shot).

The 3.5" magnum with steel BBB (standard pellet stuff, not hex or cutter pellet)..............will bring geese down. Most times, not always. And at 35 yards some won't be out after slapping the deck.
    I found this to be unacceptable.

Recoil wasn't bad. It's steel (85% as dense as lead).

Bismuth just came out and was only 18 bucks for 10 shells. It extended my range by 50% (my new max was now 50 yards) and it dropped birds dead at that distance.
    Night and day difference.

Have not used the cutter or hex pellet stuff of current offering. Bismuth has gone up a fair bit.

I do have a 3.5" 870 now............got it for a do all. As that model came with 23" VR barrel, not 21" (in turkey model). For turkey I just run 3" magnum blend in it (or my 1100 mag).
    Should I choose to run steel for geese, I have some Blindside to run through it.

Season is in, but it's too darn warm for my liking.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yes, they serve a valid purpose: Making your shoulder turn a deeper shade of purple, and doing it much faster! ;)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, the big advantage to my 3.5" chambered Rem 887 Nitro Magnum Tactical is its ability to hold 7 23/4" rounds in the longer tube ;). I use milspec 1800fps 00 buck in it anyway...or armor piercing slugs.

If they will chamber all three it just give you more options. No telling what the future will bring.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    3 1/5 inch magnum shells hurt...:twocents:

I was in the process of sighting in a red dot scope on top of my Mossberg 835 with 3.5" turkey loads, and almost done. For some reason I decided to shoot one more shell. I looked through the scope. No dot. The scope had broken inside and the dot was screwed up. So, I mounted my other red dot and started all over. By the end I had to gather all my will power to pull the trigger because I hurt too bad. Now, I have a recoil shielding shirt, which I forget the name of. It comes with a removable fitted hard plate that fits in a pocket on the shirt shoulder.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They make these things called "soft pistol cases".
    Cheap and effective when placed between a thumper and shoulder.
    Most folks probably have one, if not they're cheap (and can double as a...............small pistol case..............if need be).
    I zeroed an 835 with reddot, pattern tested too. About 15 shots, all 3.5" loads.
    No extra pad, summer...........just a T shirt.
    Did make sure to shoot from very vertical position on bench.
    I got beat up pretty good.
    2 days later all redness/marks were gone.

Worst I ever got it, 90 slugs in 2 days on a troubelsome system. Most 3".
    Not really any mark or redness after day 1..........but deep down in the joint it was sore, for over a week!

Steel 3.5" waterfowl loads aint bad compared to turkey loads or slugs.

Top Bottom