• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After I sold my AR-15, I said I would never get back into "black rifles" UNLESS... it was one in 308. Well an email from Palmetto State prompted me to take the leap last night. Got a blemished stripped lower for $75 (free shipping) and an 18" stainless rifle kit for $550.

PSA PA10 Blemished .308 Stripped Lower Receiver - 482763

PSA PA10 18" SS Mid Length Rifle Kit - 503654

With shipping, it came to $642. From the little bit of looking around that I've done, I haven't seen complete rifles go for much less than about 850.

Now for some questions...
    1) Did I do okay price-wise?
    2) I know I will need a rear sight - any recommendations for a basic rear sight?
    3) I will need some magazines - any recommendations for 20 round mags that won't break the bank?
    4) Also magazine related - Are the M14/M1A mags compatible with the AR-10? I was thinking they were the same, but thought I'd better ask.
    5) I'll be getting some kind of optic down the road. I want to go with a scope as opposed to a red dot. Won't be shooting any extreme ranges, so would a fixed 4x do the trick, or would a variable power model be better? Standard eye relief or long eye relief?
    6) I would like to go with a quick-disconnect mount for the scope. Any recommendations for those (again, that won't break the bank)?
    7) Other than the rear sight and some mags, is there anything else I need to get this kit built and up and running?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    1) Yes, you did fine.

2) Magpul mbus for the cheapest sights that you can trust.

3) Magpul 20rd 7.62x51 mags

4) No, M14/M1A mags will not work. The Palmetto PA-10 is not AR-10 platform. They got really dumb and used some DPMS pattern (barrel, bcg, charging handle) an Armalite length 6 position buffer tube, low tang receiver, and an lpk that is proprietary to PSA receivers.

5) IMO, 4x is fine for man sized targets out to 750 yards. Eye relief depends on your stock (adjustable or A2).

6) Good and cheap qd would be American Defense but again, just my opinion.

7) Ammo.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good info, thanks! And I'm glad I asked about the mags. I knew that some of the PSA stuff is proprietary (they say that right on their website), but since I'm not going to go crazy accessorizing it, that didn't concern me too much. It does look like the stock is adjustable, so I will keep that in mind with my scope selection.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    4) No, M14/M1A mags will not work. The Palmetto PA-10 is not AR-10 platform.

This, just because it is a 308 AR, it DOES NOT make it an AR-10. AR-10 is modified M14 mags. AR-10A is SR25/PMAG. DPMS style is PMAG.

AR-10s are way different, if you hadn't bought a complete upper and started mixing and matching AR-10 parts and 308 AR parts...you'd have a franken gun that wouldn't go together

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This, just because it is a 308 AR, it DOES NOT make it an AR-10. AR-10 is modified M14 mags. AR-10A is SR25/PMAG. DPMS style is PMAG.

AR-10s are way different, if you hadn't bought a complete upper and started mixing and matching AR-10 parts and 308 AR parts...you'd have a franken gun that wouldn't go together
    Thanks for this. I (kinda) knew it wasn't really an AR-10 just from reading PSA's little blurb about the parts not being interchangeable like their AR-15's are. Still it's good to know in case I would want to upgrade anything on it. I'm guessing I'd want to stick with PSA's parts.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    About the Magpul sights... which is better, steel or polymer (Gen II)? My first instinct would be steel, but the price difference is huge between the steel and polymer (maybe for a good reason?). I guess for back up it's not hugely important but if I'm going to be using them for my primary sights until I get an optic it might make a difference.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got this one on the way. :)

221931852728_1.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good to know. I did learn something while surfing ebay for it. I kept seeing some that were REALLY cheap. Then I found out what PTS means. They're for Airsoft guns?!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes they are absolutely junk and have no business at all on a real firearm. Buy the real deal and it will last you as long as youll need it to.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I've got just about everything but the lower. The rear sight arrived a couple days ago, and the 4 p-mags, upper and LPK arrived yesterday. My UPS guy grinned when he handed me the box from PSA and asked, "So, whatcha building?" I smiled and just said, "A rifle." UPS guy said, "A black one? I saw where it came from." I told him yeah, and that with the current political climate I figured I'd better get one while I still could, and before another price panic sets in. He said he carries wherever he goes, but that he had told his wife that he was thinking about getting something "to sling over his shoulder" too. :) I've got 2 more p-mags and 2 IMI mags coming. That'll get me started at least.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Looks like a nice start, should be a very nice rig once you get it put together. Congrats! Now invest in some ammo, those tend to go through the ammo pretty quick ;).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks like a nice start, should be a very nice rig once you get it put together. Congrats! Now invest in some ammo, those tend to go through the ammo pretty quick ;).

Thanks! It's going to be fairly "beefy" I think. Definitely a lot heavier than the AR-15 I used to have. As for ammo, I've been stocking up for awhile, since I have other rifles in 7.62x51/308. That ZQ1 stuff that Walmart sells is nice at 50 cents a round. Clean, good brass, reloadable. I may have to up my purchases for this one though! :)

I've got a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x32 coming from AA Optics too. I was going to wait, but I suck at waiting. :): I've also decided to go with regular rings instead of QD. Since I'm not going with a red dot, there's really no reason for me to need to remove the scope quickly.

Top Bottom