• ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Video of Paris attacks shows victims diving for cover from ISIS jihadist | Daily Mail Online

Thought this was rather interesting. In the midst of the Paris tragedy, a story emerges where one of the terrorists, who obviously reads all of the gun forums where the AK zombies constantly declare their pet rifle to be impervious to mechanical failures, chose to use one in an attack on a restaurant.

Not only did he fail to actually hit anyone inside of 50 yards, but his rifle JAMMED as he was attempting to shoot a woman at point blank range! So, not only did it jam, but it jammed AT THE LEAST OPPORTUNE TIME!

The authorities are calling the woman the luckiest woman in Paris.

There will probably be a movement by the American AK devotees to have her declared some sort of demigoddess/ divinity!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Since he didn't hit anything other than the broad side of a café...he probably dropped the hammer on an empty chamber and thought his gun was broken...I guess the hold open failed to work.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Were assuming these are "Gun people" or professionals who use a firearm and know the care of their equipment. Anything mechanical will fail without proper maintenance....including the mighty Kalashnikov.

Now back to your regularly scheduled AK bashing thread.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Jam? Are we making a sandwich? ;)

Yes, AKs do malfunction. Sometimes spectacularly.

aaron_triple_1.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As to the OP, I'm curious about how AKs function. I don't have one. One report I read had the intended victim say that she heard a "click click click" as she thought he was trying to fire. Would that actually happen? I mean, if it was jammed with the bolt disengaged, the trigger would basically be frozen, right? Or if it was out of ammo?

I think part of this is a case of the victim having seen too many movies.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Were assuming these are "Gun people" or professionals who use a firearm and know the care of their equipment. Anything mechanical will fail without proper maintenance....including the mighty Kalashnikov.

Now back to your regularly scheduled AK bashing thread.

Two quick points in response:
    1. One of the selling points for the AK47 I often hear from the devotees is that AK platform doesn't need regular maintenance to work. Obviously not true.

2. I do not mean this as a "bashing" of AKs, because I actually prefer AKs to the AR platform, but for a more practical and rational reason. ARs are full of tiny parts that, if lost or misplaced, renders the entire rifle inoperable. Unacceptable for a guy like me who tends to misplace things regularly. Also, the AK is great for us lefties (not politically, just handedness).

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Two quick points in response:
    1. One of the selling points for the AK47 I often hear from the devotees is that AK platform doesn't need regular maintenance to work. Obviously not true.

2. I do not mean this as a "bashing" of AKs, because I actually prefer AKs to the AR platform, but for a more practical and rational reason. ARs are full of tiny parts that, if lost or misplaced, renders the entire rifle inoperable. Unacceptable for a guy like me who tends to misplace thing regularly. Also, the AK is great for us lefties (not politically, just handedness).
    Could have been a bad primer. Sometimes ammo is to blame, not the gun. But AK's are less prone to failure than most guns. It's just a fact. And I love my AR'S too

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Video of Paris attacks shows victims diving for cover from ISIS jihadist | Daily Mail Online

Thought this was rather interesting. In the midst of the Paris tragedy, a story emerges where one of the terrorists, who obviously reads all of the gun forums where the AK zombies constantly declare their pet rifle to be impervious to mechanical failures, chose to use one in an attack on a restaurant.

Not only did he fail to actually hit anyone inside of 50 yards, but his rifle JAMMED as he was attempting to shoot a woman at point blank range! So, not only did it jam, but it jammed AT THE LEAST OPPORTUNE TIME!

There will probably be a movement by the American AK devotees to have her declared some sort of demigoddess/ divinity!

:rolleyes: Simple answer, Allah did not will it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

I would say the hyperbole of the AK fanboys is more justified than yours. :)

I read the article and watched the film, and altho the article throws around words like "jam" and "misfire" it doesn't actually show this -- all one can really tell is that the guy stopped firing and eventually walked away.

If you run out of ammo (number one reason AK quits firing) and you keep pulling the trigger, one part of the trigger strikes the receiver as it is pulled, and another part strikes the receiver on release. This will make a click-click sound, consistent with the woman's description (altho I am surprised she heard it after all the other noise and chaos). Thus the most likely explanation is that he ran out of ammo and it took him a couple trigger pulls to realize it. This is operator malfunction, not gun malfunction.

Not only did he fail to actually hit anyone inside of 50 yards,...

Other than the five killed and eight wounded, yeah, didn't hit anyone.

The AK is not 100% magic, but it is justifiably famous for its reliability, and this incident doesn't say anything about that, despite the excitability of the Daily Mail. In all likelihood he just simply had an empty magazine and decided to go on to the next target rather than reload and kill one more person.

Top Bottom