• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll......
    So, I've got dream of hitting 1000yds under $1000.00, I like the Rem 700 in .308 platform. I try not to shop at Dicks Sports, but they have a Black Friday ad for a Remington 700 ADl Varmit for 400.00$ I know the optics wouldnt be any better than a paper weight, and possible some trigger work .My main question is, would this be a good start on a budget build? Or will these be a cheap version of their rifles for big box stores to get sales??

hs9smq.png

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hey Ya'll......
    So, I've got dream of hitting 1000yds under $1000.00, I like the Rem 700 in .308 platform. I try not to shop at Dicks Sports, but they have a Black Friday ad for a Remington 700 ADl Varmit for 400.00$ I know the optics wouldnt be any better than a paper weight, and possible some trigger work .My main question is, would this be a good start on a budget build? Or will these be a cheap version of their rifles for big box stores to get sales??

JMHO, you will spend at least that much on quality glass, for 1000 yards.....

Contact AA Optics, right here on INGO, and he will tell you straight .....

Oh, I am a BIG fan of the .308 .....

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Am I seeing that ad right? The ADL I am looking at appears to be a pump action? Nice for walking through the woods driving deer, not sure about bench rest or prone shooting at distance.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yes, a 700 ADL Varmint in 308 is a fine starting point for a long range rifle. The 1:12 twist barrel is idea for 168-178gr match ammunition. In my opinion the stock and trigger are garbage, but they'll get you started. Also, Remington has a Black Friday rebate special giving $15 more in rebate ($50 instead of $35).

Keep an eye on SWFA during Black Friday, and you can probably get a SWFA SS 12x for under $300 including SWFA rings (which are near copies of the Burris XTR and, while not "the best", work well). Snag a Leupold Mark 4 scope base (59235) for $55ish and a Harris S-BRM bipod for $100ish and you're in the game. If you like, you might also be able to snag a Timney 510 trigger for $110ish and you're right at your $1000 budget.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That would be a very good starting point for your intended purpose. Unless your just dead set on getting a Remington also take a look at the Savage offerings also, might be able to get into an entry level Model 10 for not to much more and have the added benefit of the factory Accutrigger (one less thing to worry about), I agree with avboiler keep a look out on SWFAs website you can get into a 12x or 16x SS scope for super reasonable money and they are well worth the coin.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I would have to advise against anything over 12x in the SWFA fixed power offerings. The glass is not as clear and the eye box is small so even a little bit of movement and your sight picture is gone.

OP I started with the same rifle, still have the factory barreled action. As of right now. If you are wanting to go out to 1k look primarily at the 175-178 or 155's the 168's, whIle capable, do not transition as well through trans sonic so are not as stable out to 1k. The stocks are junk on those and the trigger not great but does have some adjustment. I would advise spending the money on a better quality stock like a bell and carlson or take off HS precision before upgrading the trigger.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Pitch the trigger and go Timney and look at a Boyds stock and you have a great base for a really nice rifle.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Yeah, that would make a great base for a budget long range build. If you drop it into a Bell and Carlson stock, Timney 510, decent base & rings w/ an SWFA SS10X, and you've got a real shooter that is within your budget.

JMHO, you will spend at least that much on quality glass, for 1000 yards.....

I disagree. Better glass is always a nice option, but 1K meters is not nearly as tough of a shot as some people make it out.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    tradertator said:
    I disagree. Better glass is always a nice option, but 1K meters is not nearly as tough of a shot as some people make it out.

Depends on the skill of the person driving the rifle and the size of the target. Also depends on how well their optic tracks.

I once went 3 for 3 on a 10" round at 900 yards including a first round hit, but an ISPC @ 1100 took over ten shots for me to connect with...

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I read that review a couple of days ago, wanted to get more options for my pals back in Indiana. I think it will be a good start, and easy to get it where I want it.
    I know this can be another can of worms, but I would of thought the more power you can get the better. Is it just hard to get that clear that far out??

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I read that review a couple of days ago, wanted to get more options for my pals back in Indiana. I think it will be a good start, and easy to get it where I want it.
    I know this can be another can of worms, but I would of thought the more power you can get the better. Is it just hard to get that clear that far out??

Low end cheap scopes with high magnification are not clear. Higher magnification and clear optics can be had but you will pay for it. You will be surprised what you can resolve with less magnification and clearer glass than high mag and crappy clarity.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Depends on the skill of the person driving the rifle and the size of the target. Also depends on how well their optic tracks.

I once went 3 for 3 on a 10" round at 900 yards including a first round hit, but an ISPC @ 1100 took over ten shots for me to connect with...
    I bought the feather weight for my 30-06. I am really happy with it. I have the older 3 screw adjustable stock FCG in it. I have it adjusted to just under 4 lb's which is what I like. The Timney is a planned upgrade, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've got Leupold glass. Some day i'll upgrade the barrel. That will pretty much just leave the action as original.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I re-read what I wrote, and didn't mean for it to come off quite so simple (wind conditions and how well you can read it also play a HUGE factor, at least in my case). My bigger point I was trying to make is one doesn't necessarily need to spend >1K on glass to get out there. Your absolutely right about the scope tracking too, that's why I like the SWFA SS10X so well for the money.

Low end cheap scopes with high magnification are not clear. Higher magnification and clear optics can be had but you will pay for it. You will be surprised what you can resolve with less magnification and clearer glass than high mag and crappy clarity.

^ Bingo. As you zoom in, the flaws and imperfections in the lens will become ever so more apparent.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Pitch the trigger and go Timney and look at a Boyds stock and you have a great base for a really nice rifle.

Why not just buy a 700P in 308 up front and bypass the upgrades.
    They come with HS Precision stocks with full lenght alum beding and now a adj 40X trigger. All for alittle over 800 and change. With a good set of rings and a base along with bottom end optics its not that much over budget.
    And he will have a rifle that's much better up to the challenge. And if it ever gets sold it will be much easier to sell in its original form and it hold much better value than a home built parts gun.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Why not just buy a 700P in 308 up front and bypass the upgrades.
    They come with HS Precision stocks with full lenght alum beding and now a adj 40X trigger. All for alittle over 800 and change. With a good set of rings and a base along with bottom end optics its not that much over budget.
    And he will have a rifle that's much better up to the challenge. And if it ever gets sold it will be much easier to sell in its original form and it hold much better value than a home built parts gun.

Sounds like a great plan. And a good deal. The OP should consider it!

When I bought mine 4 years ago the price on my rifle was only $400 (and I wanted a 30-06) I think I paid $100 for the stock. I've had a half dozen optics on it over the years. Varying from $150 to about $700.

Personally, I like building my own. I'll never sell it. So the resell value doesn't matter to me. It's all about the experience of building what I wanted. I'll be changing things on it for years to come. I am having fun doing it.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I agree*** I could buy 1000yrd rig all day long. But I'd rather build it for the experience.
    I definitely appreciate the thought though.

Top Bottom