• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I finally joined the evil black rifle club. Well, I had an evil black rifle before, a Century FrankenFal that actually fed rounds and shot pretty well, but decided to go for something lighter and able to carry more rounds. Yea... I am old and pounds count anymore.

So, traded it for an AR with a PA lower, basic upper, not sure much about it all yet. I have a crap ton of surplus mid 1990s lake city .308 (over 3k rounds at least) that I will be looking at trading for .223, based on value, I would estimate a 2 for 3 or 3 for 4 ratio depending on the ammo. I will probably post it up in the WTB for 223 trading and WTS as well. 20 magazines as well, 12 steel and 8 aluminum. Those are at least 15 each for the steel and 20 to 25 each for the aluminum. Those will go up for trade as well, looking for good 20 and 30 round magazines. Just need to get me some photos and I don't really feel like doing it right now... again, the old thing. Going to go out and have a beer and burger tonight instead.

Anyway, can someone school me a little bit on these evil black rifles? Well, evil black carbine in this case. I kept my Aimpoint 5000 (pretty good 2x magnification and battery life). That will do for optics for now, but what do people recommend? Also, a recommendation for backup sights. And if anybody knows of anyone looking for some good .308 ammo or FAL magazines, please feel free to post or PM until I get photos and the WTT/WTS up.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A generation ago the 5.56 was called the "woodchuck cartridge" as the .222 and the 222 magnum was a popular varmint cartridge back then. There was a time when the M1a's 7.62 X 51 was considered a "mouse gun" by M1 shooters. Just think about those 5'6", 140 lb doughboys of WWI shooting those 30-06 bolt action Springfields. They were a tough bunch of boys.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I like dogs too. More than most people... AR's have been called poodle shooters for a long time, at least since I last handled one back in the early 1980's.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you liked Legos as a kid, you'll feel right at home. On my main one I have an ACOG that has fiber optics and tritium, so it works day or night with no battery at all. A little spendy, but after all the batteries I've fumbled with over the years, many of which are dead when I want them, it's nice to be able to pick something up and just have it work.

That 7.62x51 boxer primed and reloadable (a lot of it wasn't)? I wouldn't mind steering into a bit of that, but I'd probably be more of a cash guy, as I'm into the 5.56x45 as well.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    The Lake City .308 I have is all boxer primed and reloadable. I need to price out 5.56 and see what good brass case fodder is going for. What is recommended out there for good shooting fodder. I have some of the green tip, need to research that more and make sure what I get for practice has similar ballistics. Until yesterday, I did not own a single round of 5.56 so this is new to me as well.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've got an M&P 15 Sport, which has a standard fixed front sight post and a Magpul rear flip-up sight. I put a Vortex Sparc II red dot on a high mount riser so I can still see the standard sights through the tube if I need to. (Dead battery, etc) Haven't shot it with the red dot yet, but I see a lot of good reviews for the Vortex gear if you are looking for a budget red dot. (Less than $200). The Magpul sights are polymer, but seem durable, and Magpul makes really good gear. I hear that Troy backup iron sights are well regarded, but at a higher price point.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Was reading Dear Mom by J. T. Ward last night.
    Made me wonder about when the next wonder gun gets adopted, how the pundits will treat the 5.56.

Top Bottom