• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Was able to get out and get some rounds through the Savage Axis Factory Heavy Barrel in 243 today. Got to check the out of the box accuracy of the rifle which for the price point is awesome a definate MOA or better shooter with even factory ammo. Actually didn't expect as good of results as I seen after feeling the trigger and at how wobbly the stock was. The trigger is probably the worst trigger Ive ever felt in a rifle and the stock is not much and very flimsy but for a rifle that around $300 new its hard to complain with the results. I managed some very nice sub MOA groups with factory ammo and a few even nicer ones with my handloads and that's even with the horrid trigger, best group being right at .376" @ 110yrds with using a 65gr Vmax bullet over 38gr of Varget. Cant wait to get my upgraded parts into the rifle and see how well it can do. Here is a video review of it if any one would like to check it out.

Axis%20group_zps1nljkomn.jpg

[video=youtube;0osxs_LCzsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osxs_LCzsE[/video]

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The trigger in these is easily improved on by a simple spring upgrade and a little buffing.

Yea I've seen the spring mod, but chose to go for an upgraded trigger. Hopefully should be here by mid-week...

I don't have the heavy barrel but my axis in .308 has been lights out for me right out of the box. I'm very happy with it for the money I spent

Yea they seem to shoot well from a few of the various models I've shot, haven't heard many complaints other than the stock or trigger. They really are tough to beat for the money. Just wish they would have a bit better trigger, that's the only thing the Ruger American series has 1 up on the Axis line.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I yanked the factory trigger spring, put in a 10-24 button head screw (to act as spring post and overtravel stop).
    Slid spring over post and trimmed as needed.
    Way better trigger, cost me less than $2 (bought a few springs, but ended up using just the one and didn't screw it up getting it cut to proper length).

Stiffened stock w epoxy, made cheekpiece, scalloped funky bolt handle to not bash scope.

Cheap .500" rifle.

Alas, it was a long action for a short action cartridge so I ditched it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I yanked the factory trigger spring, put in a 10-24 button head screw (to act as spring post and overtravel stop).
    Slid spring over post and trimmed as needed.
    Way better trigger, cost me less than $2 (bought a few springs, but ended up using just the one and didn't screw it up getting it cut to proper length).

Stiffened stock w epoxy, made cheekpiece, scalloped funky bolt handle to not bash scope.

Cheap .500" rifle.

Alas, it was a long action for a short action cartridge so I ditched it.

Sounds like a pretty neat mod. I ended up getting a Timney for mine. Less than $100 bucks figured it was worth it so as not to have to mess with fitting and adjusting. An I just couldn't get past the idea of taking parts out and cutting them lol.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Got my .308 Axis for my 50th birthday from the wife. I trimmed 1.5 coils off the factory trigger spring, and dropped it in a Boyd's stock. Great shooter. My first Savage, but I do like it. The long action bolt is kinda weird and I'm not a fan of the plastic clip on the magazine, but damned if it don't shoot good.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I trimmed the factory spring first, did not help. Mine was an early Axis, so dunno if changes made since then.
    The spring itself was of two coil diameters, the smaller acting as threads going into the trigger body.
    Removal of it then meant- no spring for re-use, and a threaded hole. The screw went in from the bottom (some use a set screw).
    The button head did not interfere.
    A larger than screw body spring was simply slipped over the protruding thread section of the screw and trimmed to fit.
    If one takes out all of the over travel, there may not be enough clearance for sear reset (drags),
    Some polishing should fix that.
    I used a screw that allowed slight overtravel and it meant no other work. Minor overtravel compared to stock trigger with a mile of it.
    Pretty simple system.
    To put back to factory, I'd just need to call Savage and order a factory spring, yank the screw and install.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I know I've heard a number of people do the spring mod, if I hadn't got the Timney trigger for such a good price I'd probably went that route. I'm all about budget minded upgrades.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got my .308 Axis for my 50th birthday from the wife. I trimmed 1.5 coils off the factory trigger spring, and dropped it in a Boyd's stock. Great shooter. My first Savage, but I do like it. The long action bolt is kinda weird and I'm not a fan of the plastic clip on the magazine, but damned if it don't shoot good.

Very nice, an yes I agree the long action is a bit of a new feeling, lol

Top Bottom