• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am trying to decide how to go about this. I am wanting to TRY to stay under $1000. I haven't done a ton of reaserch yet, but I'm curious what INGO has to say about building vs buying. Can a good AR be built under 1k? Aesthetically, I just want it to be black and have a full length rail. Other than that I'm pretty open. This may sound silly to some, but I have never built a rifle before. I had an AR last year, but I wasn't too happy with it and needed some cash in my pocket so I sold it.

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    Yes. I have built 4 for well less than that. Get the best barrel and trigger you can financially justify, get a nice NiB BCG from Aim Surplus and throw the rest together. You'll be glad you did and will have exactly what YOU want.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes. I have built 4 for well less than that. Get the best barrel and trigger you can financially justify, get a nice NiB BCG from Aim Surplus and throw the rest together. You'll be glad you did and will have exactly what YOU want.

happen to have any pictures of your builds?

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    happen to have any pictures of your builds?

Sure!

This was my first build. Runs flawless. I have about 400 rounds through it so far. Far more accurate than I am.
    PSA upper
    Anderson lower
    Aim Surplus NiB BCG
    Magpul furniture

IMG_4782_zps8rhaksye.jpg

2nd Build.
    Hardened Arms 10.5in upper
    Quad rail
    Anderson Lower
    Aim NiB BCG
    Magpul Stock and grip
    Sig Brace.

IMG_4885_zps4dejpc4f.jpg

3rd. 300BLK
    Hardened Arms upper with Scorpion rail
    BCI lower
    Aim NiB BCG
    Shockwave Blade arm brace
    KAK pistol buffer tube
    Vortex Strikefire II red dot

IMG_5375_zpssik8yjjd.jpg

I seem to like building them as much as shooting. I'm extremely pleased with the 300BLK as well. The plan is to get a suppressor and shoot subsonic. For now it's a lot of fun just plinking.

If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't have built the .223 pistol. It really doesn't make much sense to me. It's fun to shoot but it's rowdy as hell. Incredibly loud and shoots out huge fireballs. Fun for the range but gets old. Also, with the Sig Brace and the quad rail it's freaking heavy! I bet it weighs close to 9lbs. That quad rail will get replaced with something else either a keymod rail or something carbon fiber.

I don't have pics of the 4th.

Hope that helps.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What do you want to do with the rifle? Is $1000 budget for rifle only kr optics too?

You can definitely build a good rifle for $1000 but certain parts will easily take it last that quickly.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Anderson lower, Red Barn Armory build-your-own LPK, stock kit with whatever stock you want, BCM upper with BCG/CH and either KMR hand guard or no hand guard (buy which ever drop in that you want). You'll be happy. Throw on a Vortex Sparc 2 or PA micro and you've got a perfectly capable rifle.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. I just got all of my parts ordered over black Friday for my build. Fairly premium build. Should be a great rifle.

Daniel Defense Carbine 16" upper with BCG, quad rail, and CH
    Aero Precision lower receiver
    BCM buffer tube kit with H3 buffer
    CMC single stage trigger
    LPK, MBUS, Magpul stock, BCM grip, etc...

Total was $906 shipped. Shop around, and you can find some silly deals right now. You can definitely build a premium rifle for under $1k right now.

Now, if your budget includes optics, you'll need to be a bit smarter with your money.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    What do you want to do with the rifle? Is $1000 budget for rifle only kr optics too?

You can definitely build a good rifle for $1000 but certain parts will easily take it last that quickly.

I would like to include optics, but could hold off on those if i needed too. I would be just fine with flip up sights to start with. I will mostly be using it to play with. No competitions or anything, it would basically be a "**** hit the fan" rifle.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Can I ask roughly what you spent building this?

without knowing the internals of that build (but appears to be a PSA build), You can have something like that for around 600-700..... You can regularly find Rifle Kits (especially from PSA) that have all the Magpul MOE parts included, that have the lower parts kit, buffer/tube, etc, for 500-600. Add a 100 lower on, and there you go.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. Right between $5-600 to build that up yourself if you wait around and look for deals.

without knowing the internals of that build (but appears to be a PSA build), You can have something like that for around 600-700..... You can regularly find Rifle Kits (especially from PSA) that have all the Magpul MOE parts included, that have the lower parts kit, buffer/tube, etc, for 500-600. Add a 100 lower on, and there you go.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you are going to turn around and sell it again, I would buy one. From what I have seen, the so called "frankenguns" are harder to get your money back out of them if you put much money into it. You can get a Colt under a grand now.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you are going to turn around and sell it again, I would buy one. From what I have seen, the so called "frankenguns" are harder to get your money back out of them if you put much money into it. You can get a Colt under a grand now.

I plan on keeping this one. The only reason I sold the last one was bc wanted something a little better eventually.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I watched that video last night actually. I'm all for building my own, I'm just not sure what all I need to buy, what's good, what's bad, what tools I'll need, etc...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    We're here to help. Post what part you're thinking of getting. We'll pretty easily be able to tell you if its good or junk.

You basically need:

lower receiver
    lpk (and grip, trigger guard, and trigger if you don't want mil spec)
    Buffer tube, buffer spring, buffer, end plate, and castle nut (depending on gas length, barrel manufacturer, etc...you'll want a correct buffer weight for your setup)
    Stock

Upper receiver
    barrel
    bolt carrier group
    charging handle
    hand guard and barrel nut that works with it (some hand guards use a proprietary barrel nut)
    gas block and gas tube
    dust cover kit and forward assist kit unless you have a slick side upper
    Sights

Or you can buy a complete upper (with or without bcg and charging handle), and build your own lower.

Sink your money into a good barrel, bcg, and trigger is my .02. Buy mil-spec compatible parts for the most part, and the rifle will go together really easily.

Lots of good options out there.

I watched that video last night actually. I'm all for building my own, I'm just not sure what all I need to buy, what's good, what's bad, what tools I'll need, etc...

Last edited:

Smoker9000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Logansport
    You could build 2 cheap AR's for 1000$ or one really nice one. But that's today, if your gonna build one do it soon. Also you will need to invest in some tools to do it right.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    An upper receiver vice block should do it. The rest of the tools, any man should have to begin with (hammer, vice, punches, etc...).

You could build 2 cheap AR's for 1000$ or one really nice one. But that's today, if your gonna build one do it soon. Also you will need to invest in some tools to do it right.

Top Bottom