• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I realize, just like computers, cars, or what not, that when building something you can customize it to your specifications and there are a LOT of variables, but simply speaking, for a functioning 5.56 AR is it more economical to buy one or build one?

Example of new one: View attachment 43394

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Depends. Sometimes you can find great deals on complete uppers or lowers or even a complete rifle. Personally I would build but that's because I would add the little things to make it "mine" and not just a stock AR.

I see you're on the southside. Stop in at USDS and they can help you out. Good crew with good knowledge on ARs. They have everything you need to build a AR or can help you purchase a complete rifle for a good price.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I was planning to build, with the help of experienced friends, to save some money and get a "better" quality rifle. One of the friends I was going to have help me build had a stock Wyndham he didn't want and made me a deal on it. I now have a stock rifle, except I took off the carry handle and added a scope.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends what you want. Those $5xx AR's have a lot of non-mil-spec parts. Some are good and will run great. But they're just basic AR's. If you want to swap out the handguard for a free float, upgrade the BCG to mil-spec, swap the trigger out, get a new grip, get a new stock that doesn't rattle, etc... You may be better off just building.

Every time, I make a spreadsheet with all of my options. There's always one direction to the ultimate goal that is the cheapest. The first time, I built the entire thing. This time, I bought a complete upper and built my own lower.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Simple, neither. Buy a used one, factory or custom. I detest paying sales tax on what my wife considers "toys" I would rather roll the money spent on taxes into a better grade. With the AR market saturated with complete rifles and custom or factory it's a used buyers paradise. Plenty of people out there dumping money into their "perfect rifle" only to get board with it and move on to the next latest and greatest.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Simple, neither. Buy a used one, factory or custom. I detest paying sales tax on what my wife considers "toys" I would rather roll the money spent on taxes into a better grade. With the AR market saturated with complete rifles and custom or factory it's a used buyers paradise. Plenty of people out there dumping money into their "perfect rifle" only to get board with it and move on to the next latest and greatest.

^this. As long as it's been taken care of, a used rifle will perform just as well as a new one will. Might be worthwhile to look in the classifieds for awhile before buying new. Someone may already have what you're looking for!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Eh.....I've found that I can build for cheaper than I can buy used most of the time.

^this. As long as it's been taken care of, a used rifle will perform just as well as a new one will. Might be worthwhile to look in the classifieds for awhile before buying new. Someone may already have what you're looking for!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Either, just depends. When I build one (unless I am going el cheapo route), it always cost me more than what it would have if I just bought a Daniel defense.

I agree building can be done frugally and you can get a good rifle at a decent price and if you shop around and wait for deals.... but things start adding up when you start modifying those generic basic kits with parts that you actually want..... but then again, would I be buying these parts anyways if I just bought a rifle?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've done more computer building than rifle building, but I think there is a common theme. If you know exactly what you want, you can often find a pre-made deal as cheap as it would take to build it, keeping in mind the potential frustration factor when things don't work like they should.

The difference, of course, is the used market for rifles is better than for computers. :)

I've found that, with ARs, it is a bit cheaper to look for good deals on components and component packages to get exactly what I want. But YMMV.

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    I realize, just like computers, cars, or what not, that when building something you can customize it to your specifications and there are a LOT of variables, but simply speaking, for a functioning 5.56 AR is it more economical to buy one or build one?

Just a thought but this is what made me build over buying. Say you buy a stock AR for $600 then decide to change the handguard. You take the handguard off and buy a new one for $150. Well now you have $750 into a rifle that you spent $600 on and a handguard in the corner collecting dust. Next you decide to change stock and buffer tube. Another $70. So now you are up to $820. To make the story short why not build the rifle the exact way you want it instead of buying one and replacing parts and putting more money into it than needed. Now this is 100% my opinion. Hope this helps.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Below is the video that ruffnek posted, it's a great video and the first thing I posted. I just embedded it for you lazy people. It pretty much sums up the pros on building in certain situations.

If you find a rifle you will leave set up as it comes then go ahead and buy... However, ( *WARNING* strong language in the video) as the video states, if you are going to buy a rifle and change out tons of parts you may as well go ahead and build it as you'll save money in the long run.

[video=youtube;glk1qMbj7S0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glk1qMbj7S0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I personally would rather build than buy new or used. I like the free float hand guard and a better barrel than what come with a cheap upper. I also like a better trigger than you can get on a cheap rifle. The other thing is I like to try different calibers. I don't know of any Co. that builds a 6mmX45. My next build will be a 6.5.

I would think if you just wanted a plain Jane 5.56, used would be the way to go. You can pick up a new upper for $300 on sale and a lower for less than $200. So a used plain Jane should go for $400 or less.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just a thought but this is what made me build over buying. Say you buy a stock AR for $600 then decide to change the handguard. You take the handguard off and buy a new one for $150. Well now you have $750 into a rifle that you spent $600 on and a handguard in the corner collecting dust. Next you decide to change stock and buffer tube. Another $70. So now you are up to $820. To make the story short why not build the rifle the exact way you want it instead of buying one and replacing parts and putting more money into it than needed. Now this is 100% my opinion. Hope this helps.

I agree. And don't think you will get top dollar for your take offs. I am currently collecting part to build my 5th, 6th and 7th. I have built all of mine for less than you can buy a comparably equipped factory build rifle. I only buy parts when I get a good price and I look at what I paid for a component on my previous build. Usually I wait until I can buy it for less.

Plus, you get what you want right away. No removing parts and buying different ones. If you are going to do that, why not build it in the first place?

While it is true that the rifle manufacturers will buy components for less than you and I can, the labor, overhead and markup will more than erase that difference.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Build but go to guns shows and swap meets to buy your parts. Tax and shipping add up

Tax and shipping do add up but I still save over gun shows. I rarely find a lower price at a gun show with the exception of some small parts like a flash hider or lower parts kits. Amazon makes it easy to add small parts to regular orders to get free shipping.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    "but simply speaking, for a functioning 5.56 AR is it more economical to buy one or build one?"

In Stock 223/5.56 Rifle Deals | Slickguns

Top 10 AR-15 Rifles Under $500 | Slickguns

today - "simply speaking" buy it, already assembled - there are dozens of choices around the $500 mark ready to go

can you assemble your own (?) I don't know, can you? do you even want to? if so, pick the pieces you want and put it together

if your only objective is to just have a functioning 5.56 AR then just buy one - if your objective is have the least investment in a functioning 5.56 AR
    assemble your own, though you're a month too late to the party as all the cheapo stuff is out of stock by now but assembling under $400 for functional ar is possible

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. Actually, saving on tax (which we're all reporting at the end of the year, right?) and paying shipping is the cheaper way to go. Buying a barrel for $200 + 7% state sales tax is $214. Shipping, at the highest rate, would be equal to the tax. You just need to group your purchases. Don't buy only a $7 flash hider online and flip the $10 shipping bill and end up paying $17 on a dang flash hider. By the time you take into account the cheaper price online, and if you wait for a free shipping coupon, you definitely come out ahead if you buy online. Plus, selection online is much better, and you can find the exact part

Tax and shipping do add up but I still save over gun shows. I rarely find a lower price at a gun show with the exception of some small parts like a flash hider or lower parts kits. Amazon makes it easy to add small parts to regular orders to get free shipping.

Top Bottom