• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Bloomington
    I live in Indiana and was thinking of buying a rifle or shotgun to keep in my apartment, but I don't have a car or anyone to drive me back from the store. Is it legal to just carry it home? Unloaded of course, but that's the only way I'm going to get it home unless to store I get it from will ship it.

I can't find the answer on google.

I would just get a handgun, but I'm still under 21.

Thank you for your time.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It's not illegal. If you carry it home in a box, nobody will probably know any different. If you're talking about a self defense scenario, I would be very concered about using a rifle or shotgun in an apartment building.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Regardless of what you use, handgun, shotgun, or rifle, you run the risk of shooting through a wall into the next apartment. Not saying you shouldn't own a gun but you should consider the possibility and consequences. And, welcome to INGO.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can buy a pistol, in a private sale. (Person to person)
    Just not from a FFL.

Note, over 18, and not crossing a state line.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes it is legal for you to purchase the firearm and carry it home. Many shotguns are easily disassembled and the box does not scream gun. My recommendation would be a Ruger 10/22 takedown. The gun easily come apart into two pieces and it has a nice bag to carry it in. Very inconspicuous so you can move it around easily and take it to the range to practice. Of course you will have to find a range or a friend to take you to the range.

Newperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Bloomington
    Thank you all, I know that I can buy a handgun from a private seller, but buying a long gun would probably be easier than finding someone who is willing to sell me a pistol.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As already mentioned, it's completely legal to carry a long gun home, but keep it in the box while carrying it home and probably no one will give you a second glance.
    It would be a good idea to have the box wrapped in plain brown paper, or at least have some covering the labels (Ruger, Remington, Mossberg, etc.) to avoid busybodies from goggling at you.
    The only other thing to address is what is the purpose of the longarm, self defense, or just target shooting or for hunting small game?
    If the former, you can't go wrong with a decent quality .22 rifle.
    If the latter, especially in an apartment, you would almost certainly be best served with a pump shotgun, which will be fairly affordable (about $280 for a Mossberg 500 to $300-$320 for a Remington 870 on sale), quick to bring into action, dependable, and totally decisive if you should ever have to use it to stay alive.
    The solution to the overpenetration issue is to load it with ordinary birdshot, and #6 size shot is enough.
    Two layers of ordinary drywall will stop that, but it's still devastating against anyone who means you harm at the distances (10-20 feet max) you would ever encounter in an apartment.
    Anyone doubting birdshot out of a 12 gauge in that application should take a look at some of the demonstrations on raw meat and ballistics gel.
    Don't bother with buckshot, unless you're willing to deal with the possibility of prosecution and/or lawsuits from harming someone in an adjacent apartment...not to mention having to live with it afterward.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Any gun and ammo combination that will penetrate people properly will also pop through most interior walls.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Thank you all, I know that I can buy a handgun from a private seller, but buying a long gun would probably be easier than finding someone who is willing to sell me a pistol.

Newperson - Right now we are trying to help you understand that purchasing isn't your main issue. Use of a long gun / shotgun within an apartment is not a wise move for self-defense. Ammunition for most firearms that would cause the needed affect for self-defense would also go through (at least) one interior wall in a normal house, let alone the thin walls most apartments use.

Would you be able to purchase legally and carry it home? If you're able to purchase a handgun legally, Yes - keep everything boxed and unloaded

Is purchasing a long gun best for your situation? With the information you have provided, Not in my opinion

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Any gun and ammo combination that will penetrate people properly will also pop through most interior walls.

This is my thought process as well. There are minor exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking penetration of flesh and bone will not be thwarted by drywall.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Newperson - Right now we are trying to help you understand that purchasing isn't your main issue. Use of a long gun / shotgun within an apartment is not a wise move for self-defense. Ammunition for most firearms that would cause the needed affect for self-defense would also go through (at least) one interior wall in a normal house, let alone the thin walls most apartments use.

Would you be able to purchase legally and carry it home? If you're able to purchase a handgun legally, Yes - keep everything boxed and unloaded

Is purchasing a long gun best for your situation? With the information you have provided, Not in my opinion

I'd think a 12 or 20 Ga. loaded with a suitable buckshot load (depending on gauge) would penetrate walls less (and be less lethal in the event of penetration) then something like my Glock 27 or Colt 1911. In an apartment situation, I am not sure there is a good solution...

I've heard Hornady makes a .223 in a 40gr hollowpoint that fragments quickly in a target and doesn't over penetrate. Coupled with something in an AR platform... 30 round magazine.. that might be the best solution in this setting. But you will sacrifice penetration (and therefore lethality) by scaling back your choice for these reasons. Not suggesting that is a bad thing, but I doubt a bad guy will come with the same moral compass. It would suck to be outgunned in your own home.

My advice, in a self defense situation in a residential setting... get low. Kneel/crouch.. or lower. First, you are a smaller target. Second, the upward angle of trajectory will place an errant round hopefully above targets on the other side of walls. Or in the event of multiple floor structures require the penetration of floors (or walls and floors) which are of heavier construction.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I live in Indiana and was thinking of buying a rifle or shotgun to keep in my apartment, but I don't have a car or anyone to drive me back from the store. Is it legal to just carry it home? Unloaded of course, but that's the only way I'm going to get it home unless to store I get it from will ship it.

I can't find the answer on google.

I would just get a handgun, but I'm still under 21.

Thank you for your time.

Good luck, and let us know, what you buy .....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Handguns will pop right through interior walls as well. Plus they are more difficult to shoot well. Actually a carbine with the proper ammunition makes a lot of sense in an apartment. A 20 gauge shotgun with #4 buckshot does not give me heartburn either. The big problem with long guns is they are difficult to properly secure compared to a long gun.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You can buy a pistol, in a private sale. (Person to person)
    Just not from a FFL.

Note, over 18, and not crossing a state line.

OP, just to clarify just since you appear to be in Bloomington, if you are an in-state student the above applies.
    If you're an out-of-state student that has not established Indiana residency, then no dice on a handgun.

Newperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Bloomington
    I get what you're saying about the walls, Oldpink had a good idea with getting a 22 or loading the gun with birdshot, which was something I had though about. Also, if I got a shotgun, I was thinking more along the lines of 20 gauge or 410 than 12 gauge, something with a little less power.

Also, I'm not a student at all.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've carried a rifle home from the gun show. Just walked through the neighborhood with a big smile on my face. :D

I've also carried a long gun on my scooter. That got a few glances.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I get what you're saying about the walls, Oldpink had a good idea with getting a 22 or loading the gun with birdshot, which was something I had though about. Also, if I got a shotgun, I was thinking more along the lines of 20 gauge or 410 than 12 gauge, something with a little less power.

Also, I'm not a student at all.

The problem is, if the shot won't penetrate a wall, it won't be very good at stopping a human.

GNRHOSH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Franklin
    12/20/.410 almost all the same when it comes to apartments, as buck and slugs will penetrate most walls. This is the reason for like a 12/20ga to load the first 3-4 shots out to be bird shot and the remaining are buck all 2-3/4" shells. It gives you enough, hopefully, to stop/eliminate the threat without penetrating walls and then if they are still a threat something a little harder.

The other thing is when you look for places to rent look for places that have brick or stone exteriors and that you are on an outside wall if possible. This way if something does happen you still have to think about what is down range (window, doors, interior wall, exterior wall, neighbors apartment) But you can practiced with an empty weapon a lot , so you know before you pull the trigger what is at what spots, as you are still liable for what you shoot.

Pistols with appropriate expanding rounds would work fine, but Rifles tend to be over penetrative for the scenario, although I do need to look at the one ammo posted previously.

Top Bottom