• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Now that I'm trying the suppressed world, there's a new concern of gas blow back around the charging handle. I've been wanting an extended handle for a while, but as a lefty, most of my choices are limited to the ambidextrous models. Now tack on one with some gas management and I'm stuck. Anyone know of such an animal?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    try it first before worrying about it. I've never noticed or been bothered by any additional gas out the back of the gun. My silenced guns all have BCM CH's which some say their design slightly helps. that my can is a .308 may help (but I don't notice anything on my .308 AR, either). adjustable gas block might be an even bigger help than the CH (but I still don't notice it on my fixed gas blocks, either).

-rvb

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm a lefty also, I've never noticed a problem the last few decades.
    I will say, I always wear shooting glasses. Maybe that's why I never have noticed it.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The extended charging handle was really the goal. The factory one has always been a bit awkward. So, if I'm going to buy one, I might as well incorporate the gas deflector. Surprisingly, the SNATCH is made by the same company I'm getting the suppressor from.... how'd I miss that?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm a lefty... I am not too bothered by gas. However I have shot a gun with a gas buster (popular remedy) I think PRI makes them maybe. I'm not much into "clones" so I could care less but they are nice for what they are. Anyhow, it lets all of the gas out of the right side of the charging handle... That would be away from a righty, but that was right in my face. So if you do find something that suits your needs be extra sure how it works etc.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    try it first before worrying about it. I've never noticed or been bothered by any additional gas out the back of the gun. My silenced guns all have BCM CH's which some say their design slightly helps. that my can is a .308 may help (but I don't notice anything on my .308 AR, either). adjustable gas block might be an even bigger help than the CH (but I still don't notice it on my fixed gas blocks, either).

-rvb

^^^ This.
    I have a couple "Gas Busters" and BCM's, as well as standard CH's. I really don't notice a difference in gas-to-the-face with any of them.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Why don't you just do the easy, cheap approach: RTV silicone?

There's no need to spend the dollars on a fancy handle that may/mat not work unless you just want to.

-Nate

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Get the charging handle that suits you as a lefty (try BCM) and add $.06 worth of Permatex. Plenty of tutorials on the net to show you how. 15 minutes of work and problem solved (if you even had one in the first place).

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I use a BCM ambi with permatex. I won't say it completely gets rid of it, but certainly helps.

Boom. Johnny knows of what he speaks.

It also will help redirect and/or capture fragments in the case that you BLOW a case. Been known to happen, ya know.

-Nate

Top Bottom