• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Palmetto used to carry uppers with FN Cold Hammer Forged barrels. They still offer the CHF light barrels from time to time. I have not seen them (could have missed) offered in quite a while. That used to be the cream of the crop for a good budget minded build. I know there may be better stuff, but that was a fantastic option at the price.

No, I do not want their PTAC uppers.

Now they are offering other stuff, and I do not know what is best. They have the following. Can someone help me out with what is best? I am trying to help a friend. Thanks

They now offer the following barrels/finishes:

Nitride
    Stainless 416
    Phosphate
    Melonite Treated

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Nitride and Melonite are trade names for the same basic finish. It's more of a treatment than a coating.
    It is basically a salt bath finish that penetrates them metal so it won't chip or peal away.
    I would choose either the stainless or the Nitride/Melonite finish.
    All are preferable to the phosphate finish.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Qpq/nitride/melonite are all salt bath treatments that are better then chrome lined. And then better then those is stainless. I'm speaking for accuracy. I have a 416r stainless barrel a qpq 4150 chrome moly barrel and a standard chrome lined. The stainless is more accurate but the others will probably last longer. Especially if your running mag dumps etc, stainless tends to wear down sooner.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    From PSA, I'd stick with their Premium / FNH barrel uppers. If you can't get one, I'd look for something from another manufacturer.

Spikes
    Troy
    DD
    LMT

All of them had complete uppers (with BCG and CH) for sale over the holidays in the price range of the PSA premium uppers (at most $100 more expensive). Westernsport had/has some great deals on DD stuff. I see they still have a DD carbine 16" barrel for $150, which is a freaking steal. You could snag an Aero upper and build your own upper.

Anyway, lots of awesome deals out there right now. Don't feel locked down to PSA if they aren't in stock.

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    They had a few different CHF uppers in 2 or 3 different configurations just like 3 weeks ago. They do want a lot more for them now than they use to though I will say that.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Qpq/nitride/melonite are all salt bath treatments that are better then chrome lined. And then better then those is stainless. I'm speaking for accuracy. I have a 416r stainless barrel a qpq 4150 chrome moly barrel and a standard chrome lined. The stainless is more accurate but the others will probably last longer. Especially if your running mag dumps etc, stainless tends to wear down sooner.
    My RRA NM upper came with a 1-8 twist, stainless, button rifled, barrel that was guaranteed for 3/4" MOA (with sling for support and iron sights, I could hold 2MOA). After about 5000rnds it started to throw an occasional shot in the 7 ring--about like holding 4-5MOA.
    My loads weren't abusively hot either: 23.4gr Reloader 15 & 77gr SMK

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    That's what stainless does. It wears down quicker. But mine is for hunting only so not shot as often. As the others. Plus i'll just change the barrel when it starts to go and use it for plinking only.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Is it melonite treated inside the barrel?
    The melonite treatment is a treatment process that is impregnated into the metal at the processing stage so it runs throughout the whole barrel.

Top Bottom