• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I am getting ready to purchase a new upper from bcm. I am also going to be purchasing a stock kit to put on my new lower. What buffer weight do you all recommend? H? H2? :ar15:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Right, i know that, I was just wondering if anyone has done that leg work already so I don't have to. :cool:

I run an H buffer in my 6920 and it does fine.

No 2 guns are alike even the same model. It all depends on the gas system. Majority of gas systens are oversized which is why h is normally the best bet. I run carbine in all 3 I have built. But my next gun i am going with an adjustable but also it is a 300 blackout.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to thread jack, but I'm starting to look at building a flat-top freefloat upper for 100-200 yard shots (No farther) so this is of interest to me too. With a carbine length (Bushmaster XM15-E2S) Do I need to stay away from a rifle length upper if I plan on using my lower for both? I'm waffling between a 18" and 20".

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not to thread jack, but I'm starting to look at building a flat-top freefloat upper for 100-200 yard shots (No farther) so this is of interest to me too. With a carbine length (Bushmaster XM15-E2S) Do I need to stay away from a rifle length upper if I plan on using my lower for both? I'm waffling between a 18" and 20".
    I've seen a few of rifle gas systems over carbine stocks and all worked. I would stay away from a heavy buffer though as the rifle gas curve is much less sharp than the carbine.

The real concern IME is finding a carbine stock which allows a true cheek weld.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I have 2 BCM rifles, one factory came with an H buffer and is a middie, the other is a complete lower and came with an H2 buffer that I run as an SBR.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I've seen a few of rifle gas systems over carbine stocks and all worked. I would stay away from a heavy buffer though as the rifle gas curve is much less sharp than the carbine.

The real concern IME is finding a carbine stock which allows a true cheek weld.
    I have a 20inch gun I built rifle length gas system on a carbine stock lower. Carbine buffer etc. Have a scope on it and have no problems. I used a carbine setup though for coyote hunting. I can always depend on have proper form when shooting and I need to be able to adjust for that somewhere. That is why it will always stay with a collapsible stock.

Edit: didn't mean to quote your post so ignore that.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'd start with an H if you're ordering it; I've found that it's easier to source a standard buffer locally than a heavier one, and you probably have a friend with a standard buffer that would be willing to give or trade you one if you need it. I suspect either would be fine.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    BCM says their midlength uppers are designed to run with a "h" buffer. My factory midlength BCM rifles have "h" buffers and run like a dream. So get an "h" buffer and call it a day

Top Bottom