• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yes the Armalite takes a proprietary mag made by them. I had a really nice Armalite that I sold on here about a year ago. The rifle is very nice and the mags are nice too, but you have to buy them from Armalite.
    They are metal, kind of remind me of an M1A mag.
    Mine had a 16in barrel, if I were to buy one again it would have a 20in barrel.
    The thing with AR-10's and 308 AR's, there isn't a standard manufacturing process across the board like there is with AR-15's. So a DPMS will be different than a Rock River, which will be different from and LMT and so on.
    I have some nice M1A's, that is the route I took. Daniel Defense is now making one too, no doubt that will be a nice one.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    DPMS is the platform with the most aftermarket accessories, though some think the Armalite (original) is the superior design.
    As 23gunner said, there is no standard across manufacturers like there are with the AR15's.
    Whatever brand you decide on, it's advisable to get a matched upper and lower receiver *same brand/model).

I have a first generation DPMS LRT SASS and I love it, but it is heavy. The Gen II DPMS LR308's are much lighter.
    I'm in the process of building another DPMS pattern .308. This time it's a PSA PA10. I received the lower as a birthday gift so I bought the same upper.
    Going to have to wait until after the holidays to finish it, but I have high hopes for it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The .308 platform isn't uniform across the board.
    I have an original Armalite AR10-4. It has the carry handle upper, fixed stock.
    I have to keep it original stock as there isn't anything I can do with it. It's cheaper to start over and buy a new rifle.
    With that being said....The AR10-4 is my favorite rifle. Period.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    The .308 platform isn't uniform across the board.
    I have an original Armalite AR10-4. It has the carry handle upper, fixed stock.
    I have to keep it original stock as there isn't anything I can do with it. It's cheaper to start over and buy a new rifle.
    With that being said....The AR10-4 is my favorite rifle. Period.

Exactly, there is no set menu for AR10's to have the same interchangeable parts as the AR15.
    Most hard parts between manufacturing companys are proprietary by what company manufactured it.

Like Halfmileharry says above,
    The first gen AR 10 was a selective fire MG.
    I also have a first gen AR 10 20" stainless flat top, from the second owner of Arma-lite, I don't shoot it often, but it also is a great shooter.
    They use a M14 magazine that has been altered.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    AR10s take essentially slightly modified M1A mags, followers are a bit different to allow for the bolt hold open but the bodies are mostly the same.

AR10s also take different barrel extensions and the gas systems are different. DPMS style use standard AR15 gas tunes and the length of the gas systems are the same

AR10S also feature a slant cut in the back of the receiver, but there are some companies like Mega, Seekins, and LMT that use that slant cut but take SR25 pattern mags

If I remember right too the bolts or the entire BCGs are different. May be wrong on that one though, it's been a while

There's no right platform in the 308 AR world but there are a lot of oddities and possible proprietaries. The LAR308, old Bushmaster 308, DPMSS Gen 2 being real prime examples.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    AR10s take essentially slightly modified M1A mags, followers are a bit different to allow for the bolt hold open but the bodies are mostly the same.

AR10s also take different barrel extensions and the gas systems are different. DPMS style use standard AR15 gas tunes and the length of the gas systems are the same

AR10S also feature a slant cut in the back of the receiver, but there are some companies like Mega, Seekins, and LMT that use that slant cut but take SR25 pattern mags

If I remember right too the bolts or the entire BCGs are different. May be wrong on that one though, it's been a while

There's no right platform in the 308 AR world but there are a lot of oddities and possible proprietaries. The LAR308, old Bushmaster 308, DPMSS Gen 2 being real prime examples.

It's a M14 magazine that can also be used in a M1A.. One side of the mag body has a small square punched out of it so the mag can be locked in like a M16 / AR15 magazine. The follower has a piece added to lock the bolt open after the last round has been fired.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Some of the converted M1A mags were prone to have problems. The Armalite mags I had for my AR-10 were their latest variation, Gen 2 mags. I bought a 5 pack for $150 from their website, I think it was a 4th of July sale.
    They would run them on sale occasionally.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's a M14 magazine that can also be used in a M1A.. One side of the mag body has a small square punched out of it so the mag can be locked in like a M16 / AR15 magazine. The follower has a piece added to lock the bolt open after the last round has been fired.

Duh, the hole on the side for the mag catch. Thanks for that additional piece. Spaced something so obvious

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The AR10 never took off in the military. When they wanted a mobile .308 they went back to the M14. It's still in use and still effective.
    It was a rough switch when they took the 14 from us and gave us that damned plastic 16. Growing pains wasted a bunch of good US Soldiers. They've got the 15 and 16 worked out now and it's a capable weapon. It's still evolving thanks to the aftermarket research.

Top Bottom