• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Kind of touched on this in another thread but don't want to thread jack that thread.

I built an Ar-15 around the time of Sandy hook (was able to get the stripped lower before the panic). I did a budget build: S&W MP15 lower, Anderson lpk, rock river complete upper. It shoots good and I have no complaints.

But I now have a couple of stripped lowers laying around I would like to start piecing them together one at a time. I have an Anderson lower and a PSA lower (has the flag engraved in it).

I think I will start with the Anderson lower and try to build it without being terribly worried about budget as I can wait to get the better parts. This brings me to my question as I know little about the platform/options when building. What lower parts kit to get? I'm comfortable building a gun with parts but I'm not comfortable with modifying parts to work.

I guess I should add I would like for this build to be for more than plinking purposes but maybe not long range precision.

So what lower parts kit and are there any other parts you would change?
    I'll ask about the uppers and everything else later, there is no time frame on these builds.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just buy an Anderson or cmmg parts kit. Save your money for your upper and don't skimp. But a quality barrel and bcg. Upgrade to a Geissele trigger down the road.
    my 2 cents. I've done a couple

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I agree buy the best upper/barrel you can afford that kind of were the rubber meets the road in the AR plateform. Get a quality BCG and your pretty much set. As far as triggers go the sky is the limit, my personal advice buy any one of the LPK minus fire control group ( or get one with and you'll have an extra for another project) and get one of the $99 Rise Armament triggers, AWESOME trigger for the money. An you'll be well on your way to a very nice rig!

RISE Armament RA-140 Super Sporting Trigger- SST

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just buy an Anderson or cmmg parts kit. Save your money for your upper and don't skimp. But a quality barrel and bcg. Upgrade to a Geissele trigger down the road.
    This is what I've done. My recent one consists of an Anderson "vitals" lpk and I opted to upgrade the FCG with a Hiperfire EDT (Enhanced Duty Trigger) this time. Hiperfire has a few different trigger options available.

https://www.hiperfire.com/

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County

This. I just finished a black friday build that landed me over 100$ less than a standard colt LE6920 and a MUCH better rifle. Lower I used psa premium kit, upper has a daniel defense chf barrel, dd chrome bcg, and bcm receiver. That's where the money went, but all worth while. The arms 41bl front sight post killed my budget slightly, but at least I got the look I wanted. Badger #3 is still waiting on a barrel, which is is a larue predatar barrel on a bcm upper with a fail zero bcg. Black friday combo, still cheaper than a factory gun of the same caliber, which I am not sold on the FZ due to kinda crappy staking compared to the dd.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I agree with the cmmg kit. Save your money and get a nice barrel and bcg. My next build I would get the lpk with out the fire control group and get the alg enhanced combat trigger

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pretty much any lpk from any decent company will be fine. It'll just be a mil-spec kit.

Only thing to think about is what you want upgraded. If you want a non mil-spec trigger, you can get a trigger-less lpk and save some money. Personally, I'd go that route. I have no love for mil-spec triggers after being spoiled. Personally, I'd be looking into Geissele, Larue, or CMC if I were looking for a trigger right now. IMHO, they're the best out there right now.

Then, figure out if you want to spend extra on fancy mag releases, easy pull takedown pins, etc..... Personally, I'd save my money, but that's just me.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    IMO the big three features in any build should consist of the best quality items are the Barrel, BCG and FCG. Those are the heartbeat of any decent quality AR.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    The advice stated is solid. Good barrel, BCG and trigger are where your money should be spent. Though i havent shot it yet, I got a new Geissele SSA-E from my wife this year for Christmas and I dig it. The rest of the parts are just "required".

Top Bottom