• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    So, I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard Serbu's big news out of Shot Show this year. A .50 BMG for under $1000?! Yes it can be done and it's happening. Serbu announced this rifle will sell for $875.00 until February 19th. After the price will go to $1199, which is still very impressive for a .50 BMG rifle. As of now, the rifle is set to use many of the same parts as an AR15, such as the stocks. So, naturally a rifle of that caliber (pun intended) must have a downfall for it to be sold for so little! Well, it's a break action of sort. Serbu describes it as: "Modified break action with threaded breech". Now of course you can read up and check the videos out for yourself, and maybe you'll enjoy it just as much as I plan to. Currently waiting to hear back from Serbu about getting one delivered to my local dealer.

Here's a link to Serbu's website with the details and their sneak peak videos of the new rifle: Serbu Firearms

So everyone, thoughts?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It will put a bunch of Shooters into a 50 bmg at that price point.
    I shoot a AR50 and a Amac 50, both are single shots but have bolt actions.
    For as little as mine get shot, having a threaded breach probably would not be that big of a deal. After the fun wears off most 50 owners take them to the range a few times a year to bust off a few but normally so others can have the thrill of shooting a 50. Beware ammo can run from a buck a round to well over 5 bucks a round depending on when and how much was / is bought.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have a Super Shorty, and I've been a fan of Serbu ever since. But I'm still not really interested in a .50 BMG. There just isn't anything I need to shoot that can't be handled with a .284 bullet.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    I have a Super Shorty, and I've been a fan of Serbu ever since. But I'm still not really interested in a .50 BMG. There just isn't anything I need to shoot that can't be handled with a .284 bullet.

I can't really say I ever see a need or use for a .50 BMG. More or less a collectors piece at an affordable price. Plus, deep down, I think most shooters would like the chance to go shoot one every so often without getting gouged in rental fees to rent one.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    "Need" has nothing to do with this. :ar15:

It does for my purchase decisions. I "need" a Serbu Super Shorty, so I can self-justify a lot. :):

But I really don't have a use for a difficult single shot rifle no matter the caliber, so I'm not going to jump in line on this one.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A chambered barrel with a threaded cap on the end. I feel like that wouldn't be hard at all for a home brew.

Interesting, but not high on my list. Now if I hadn't gone and sold all that .50 BMG I bought for $1.25/per a while back I might reconsider, but not with current ammo prices.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A chambered barrel with a threaded cap on the end. I feel like that wouldn't be hard at all for a home brew.

Interesting, but not high on my list. Now if I hadn't gone and sold all that .50 BMG I bought for $1.25/per a while back I might reconsider, but not with current ammo prices.

Last week this gun came up on another forum I belong to. Interesting you bring up homebrew, this gun started out as a attempted build buy a kid on Youtube. He had safety issues. He is some kind of friend of Mark Serbu's. Mark decided to take the project on because he saw potential in the project.

I'll say if Mark Serbu built it, it's a safe rifle. As to how safe it is in someones hand who has never shot a 50bmg, well that's another story. I'll stick with my Armalite.

It looks like a pain in the ass to reload. If you listen to mark Serbu talk the breach design is suppose in increase accuracy.

[video=youtube;sfOC53Oo5yY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfOC53Oo5yY[/video]

[video=youtube;-5T4DwrIB34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5T4DwrIB34[/video]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm guessing that at only 17 pounds, it's going to kick harder than other companies 25-30 pound rifles.

My AR weights around 45lb's. It's recoil feels like a 12ga shotgun with a little more of a push to it. It has a hell of a muzzle break though. With a good break on it I'll bet the recoil is manageable. TBH, if I didn't have the AR50 I'd probably try one.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    I'm guessing that at only 17 pounds, it's going to kick harder than other companies 25-30 pound rifles.
    With the test videos they've posted, the recoil seems very manageable. I'd have to guess the muzzle break has the most to do with that, especially since they haven't designed/announced a final buttstock for the rifle. But they did say it was compatible with AR15/M16 style stocks, which should give each shooter the best option for them. I'll be happy to tell you how it "kicks" when mine comes in. Just got my email from Serbu today confirming my pre-order of the rifle! :rockwoot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    With the test videos they've posted, the recoil seems very manageable. I'd have to guess the muzzle break has the most to do with that, especially since they haven't designed/announced a final buttstock for the rifle. But they did say it was compatible with AR15/M16 style stocks, which should give each shooter the best option for them. I'll be happy to tell you how it "kicks" when mine comes in. Just got my email from Serbu today confirming my pre-order of the rifle! :rockwoot:

where are you ordering from?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Directly from Serbu Firearms. If you go to their website, they haven't set it up for order through the website yet, but they're taking pre-orders over the phone or email (I got a fast response from a phone call).
    Link: Serbu Firearms

I just emailed inquiring on the price with bipod, I'll hopefully have one coming in the next week or so as well

Top Bottom