• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Up scale triggers like giessle are usually 2 stage, and have adjustment screws for adjusting the tension of each stage as well as the sear engagement. Mil spec triggers do not have those features. A patient person can hone and trim a mil spec trigger , bending springs for tension adjustment and get it pretty nice, but it will still be single stage.

MC1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have an ALG Defense ACT trigger in my AR. It is basically a milspec trigger that has all the contact points polished. I also added JP enhanced reliability, reduced power springs. I went from a gritty 8lbs trigger pull to a smooth 4.5-5lbs pull. I didn't want to invest in a $300 trigger so for $75, I was pleased with the results.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got a CMC single stage trigger for $162 from Sportsman's Guide. I've installed it but haven't taken the rifle to the range yet. I definitely like the way it feels at ~3.5 lbs, and it's almost $100 less than the Geisseles, but it's not adjustable.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Some of the new drop in caged trigger packs are very nice. I also have a CMC and am very happy with it.

Once you delve into the aftermarket triggers, it's a money pit. You won't want mil-spec (or ALG/JP spring) triggers anymore.

I got a CMC single stage trigger for $162 from Sportsman's Guide. I've installed it but haven't taken the rifle to the range yet. I definitely like the way it feels at ~3.5 lbs, and it's almost $100 less than the Geisseles, but it's not adjustable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some of the new drop in caged trigger packs are very nice. I also have a CMC and am very happy with it.

Once you delve into the aftermarket triggers, it's a money pit. You won't want mil-spec (or ALG/JP spring) triggers anymore.
    They do make it awfully easy to like them! :):

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I resisted paying $200+ for a premium trigger until I shot one. After that, I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough. :spend:
    I have a Giselle NM that I basically stole on black Friday for $190. After shooting it, I would literally pay full price....and that's rare for my cheap butt :)

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'll take a trigger without adjustment any day of the week. If it is adjustable it will either be adjusted incorrectly or come out of adjustment when you need it. It also doesnt give you much over a non adjustable unit.

CMC is my choice.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Barrel, Trigger, BCG. Are the most important parts in any AR. I spend money on these parts.

I had a standard mil spec trigger and it was gritty and never had a nice clean break. I spent a few dollars originally on a few Timneys and I like them especially for a single stage. Then I got into giessle and I enjoy them just as much.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I purchased the American Trigger Corp. (Gold Trigger) drop in module, I guess mostly because Jerry Miculek endorsed them.
    When you want the best, cost is no object.
    I'm happy with it.

GoBlueHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Noblesville
    I have the new Binary Trigger from Franklin Armory. It is awesome, it is the closest to full auto you find and it is legal.
    It fires on the back and front stroke of the trigger.
    You Tube it you will see it. It makes you gun run fast.
    They are about $400.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have the new Binary Trigger from Franklin Armory. It is awesome, it is the closest to full auto you find and it is legal.
    It fires on the back and front stroke of the trigger.
    You Tube it you will see it. It makes you gun run fast.
    They are about $400.

I've heard of those, but dang that just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Are any of the triggers mentioned above better then just a timney drop in trigger or are those not considered to be good? I was looking at one of them but my buddy says i need to get a rock river 2 stage trigger.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have Rock River Arms 2-stage match triggers in most of mine, except for one Geissele. I just shot my wife's Bushmaster Varmint rifle over the weekend, and it has a single stage trigger in it. I had forgotten it had a single stage in it, but it reminded me why I like 2-stage triggers. The RRA triggers are normally $120, but they have them for $85 right now.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    A lot of it comes down to personal preference. Unless your building a SPR/DMR long range precision rifle a mill spec trigger will be just fine if your more concerned about cost. On the other hand, I can definitely appreciate a nice Geissele trigger though, but whether or not it "worth" $250 or so is different for everybody. Right now my ARs just have mil spec triggers in them (and they're more accurate than I am), but I do have a Geissele SSA-E waiting to be put it. If you can find somebody around you that has other triggers already in an AR then try theirs and see if the $ is worth it to you. For most people, that $200-$300 can often be better spent on some ammo and training so it just depends on where your priorities are at.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Are any of the triggers mentioned above better then just a timney drop in trigger or are those not considered to be good? I was looking at one of them but my buddy says i need to get a rock river 2 stage trigger.

What do you want to do with the rifle? That's the question you need to answer first.

If you just want a solid battle rifle you'll be shooting at 200 yards or less, a mil-spec trigger may suit your needs, especially if you use a polished nickle coated trigger from say BCM or PSA or ALG. They can be found for well under $100.

If you want to shoot long distances or for precision, than a 2-stage is worth looking at.

If you're planning to shoot 3 gun matches you'll want something you can shoot quickly with a short reset.

Decide what you want to do with the rifle first, then get a trigger that fits your needs.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have an ALG Defense ACT trigger in my AR. It is basically a milspec trigger that has all the contact points polished. I also added JP enhanced reliability, reduced power springs. I went from a gritty 8lbs trigger pull to a smooth 4.5-5lbs pull. I didn't want to invest in a $300 trigger so for $75, I was pleased with the results.
    I did the exact thing. Plenty good for a SHTF/fun-gun. I'm not shooting high-level HP competition, 3-gun matches for a living, or anything where I need to spend pounds of cash to try and squeeze out an extra ounce of performance.

Top Bottom