• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've started looking for a .308 bolt gun and the Savage fcp caught my eye. I saw that they have changed from the originals though and might not be up to snuff. Anyone have any experience with them? Opinions? I was also thinking about a Remington 700 sps. This is gping to be kind of a do it all for me. Deer and long range target.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've owned the FCP-SR for a few months now. I haven't had the time to shoot it yet ( :( ) but I can say fit and finish are top notch. If you ever get down around Solsberry, I'd be more than happy to let you take a gander.

The only thing I would change is the bottom metal to take M1 mags instead of the $80 (yes, eight-zero) proprietary magazine.

Last edited:

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I bought the new fcp sr less than a year ago. I really like it. With my handloads, it usually shoots 3/4 to 1 moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Off of bipod and rear bag. I have had a couple 1/2 moa.

The barrel does copper foul. But it actually shoots better with a fouled barrel. The action isn't the smoothest but you still get a lot of gun at that price point.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The one I had the pleasure to shot was an MOA shooter right out of the box as most would expect. Only thing I didn't care for was the Magazine, it had some feeding issues and to me just didn't feel as good as it should. They went with this setup to get the price lowered from the original FCP-SR, but over all a great rifle I'm sure would serve you well.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I too have an FCP-SR in 308 and I love it. Haven't shot it enough to boast anything impressive, however fit and finish are very nice and tight. Only disappointing thing is the magazines suck, very cheap feeling. I haven't had any issues with them feeding or anything, I just wish they would have tried a bit harder on them.
    It was the biggest bang for the buck IMO when looking at nicer bolt guns.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    They did change the model sometime in 2013-2014. The older ones had a better bottom metal and magazine, as well as a better stock. Haven't had personal experience with either, but everyone seems to like the old ones much better. That said, I am really pleased with my 700 AAC-SD. It shoots MOA easily, and shoots better than I'm capable of shooting. You're welcome to come try it out.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I ended up going with the 700 SPS Tactical and dropped it into the magpul stock. Topped it with the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12. It's a touch on the heavy side for dragging into the deer woods at 10.5 pounds, but that didn't stop me this year. The gun will shoot better than me, and it allowed me to put together a 1.75 inch group at 250 yards. I'm happy.

Top Bottom