• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Stopped into Beech Grove Firearms to pick up my Gemtech Raptor-40, and they had just gotten a CZ Scorpion carbine with faux suppressor in. Well, it just had to come home with me. I'm not big on faux suppressors, but plan on SBRing this at some point. The hand guard is longer than what is on the pistol version, so I'm not sure yet how short I can go with the barrel, but I like it. Going to shoot it tomorrow.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I played around with one at the NRA convention (plus the bren rifle). It was a very nice 9mm carbine. It was even better with all the extras that are already available (cz custom triggers, ak style right side safety, etc).

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    What was the price from BGF, if you don't mind me asking? Wanting to pick up a pistol or carbine to SBR. Really want one of the FDE pistols, but even the cz guys at the nra convention didn't know when those would surface on the market.

Last edited:

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Sorry, here's a pic.

It was $1000.

I shot it yesterday with no issues (70 rounds). Very controllable as you might imagine, but the trigger is very heavy. I dry fired it a couple of dozen times before going to the range, and that seemed to smooth out the creep, but it is heavier than I want. The guy next to me on the range thought that the suppressor was real, and I have to agree it did have a kind of muffled sound to it, but it must just be the long barrel.

I've got a couple of 30 round mags on the way, and might pick up the HB Industries trigger spring kit, and possibly the button delete for the right side. Also need to do a complete disassemble and see how short I can cut the barrel down once I SBR it. I may not be able to cut much due to the length of the hand guard.

20160528_220223_resized_zpsmjhnatql.jpg

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    From fondling one, it seems that it could be taken to around 12" with the hand guard.

That's what my initial thought was as well. The Raptor-40 is a 3-lug mount, so I could go shorter if I wanted to always run the suppressor, but don't really want to do that, and don't want to blow the hand guard apart by shooting it with the muzzle buried inside.

HB Industries has some other neat stuff for the Scorpion, including an AK-like right side safety lever (versus the delete), replacement triggers, charging handles, and mag releases, all of them aluminum. May not do the trigger, but like the idea of swapping out the charging handle and mag release.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Oh yeah, there is another company (Yeti Wurks) doing replacement grips, but they are 3D printed parts. The material is Nylon 6/12, which is pretty resilient, I just don't know how well a 3D printed part matches up to an injection molded part, and $60 is a little steep to test it out.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Is that the going price for the carbine?

I'm not sure, but did a quick search and saw two with the faux suppressor on Gunbroker for around $1150. My reasoning was that the pistol would cost me about $750 + transfer fees, and the 922r kit would cost me $200 + shipping, so I was ok with supporting BGF with a $1000 sale.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I recently bought a evo scorpion from palmetto for 769 with a 8 inch barrel. I have been eyeballing the rifle version ever since. I also recently sent my paperwork off to sbr my evo. Also, fitting it with a Silencerco Hybrid while waiting for the Silencerco Octane 45. I want a stock but all that's available is from gouger on gun broker as far as I have looked for $230. $200 bucks is the current non-gouge price but for a stock, that is steep. I bought/have 10 magazine for it and bought a ten round US compliant mag bases (or whatever they are called) on order with a safety delete. I shot it without a stock and while it's fun to shoot--this little guy needs a stock to get the fun out of it.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I recently bought a evo scorpion from palmetto for 769 with a 8 inch barrel. I have been eyeballing the rifle version ever since. I also recently sent my paperwork off to sbr my evo. Also, fitting it with a Silencerco Hybrid while waiting for the Silencerco Octane 45. I want a stock but all that's available is from gouger on gun broker as far as I have looked for $230. $200 bucks is the current non-gouge price but for a stock, that is steep. I bought/have 10 magazine for it and bought a ten round US compliant mag bases (or whatever they are called) on order with a safety delete. I shot it without a stock and while it's fun to shoot--this little guy needs a stock to get the fun out of it.

A $30 premium on a $200 item that you can't find anywhere else is gouging? :ugh:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    OP, have you considered having a custom integral suppressor done up that maintains 16+" barrel length? You wouldn't have to SBR it that way (saves you a $200 stamp) and it will be quieter than a detachable suppressor (if it's done right). If you already own a suitable detachable suppressor, I can understand going the SBR route.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    OP, have you considered having a custom integral suppressor done up that maintains 16+" barrel length? You wouldn't have to SBR it that way (saves you a $200 stamp) and it will be quieter than a detachable suppressor (if it's done right). If you already own a suitable detachable suppressor, I can understand going the SBR route.

I hadn't considered that, but already have a Gemtech Raptor-40 I was going to use with it. Wouldn't hurt to look into your suggestion though. Ideas on who would do that type of work?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I hadn't considered that, but already have a Gemtech Raptor-40 I was going to use with it. Wouldn't hurt to look into your suggestion though. Ideas on who would do that type of work?

Acadiana Gun Works would be the first place I would inquire. Glenn and his crew are great people, they do good work, and I have had them work on several of my firearms (currently reworking a 9mm detachable mag Shansei Broomhandle Mauser for me that would not feed correctly). They do special projects upon request if it is something they think they can take on and do a good job with - they do turn down some jobs, including mine, if it is a gun or a project they are not comfortable with so be prepared for that. Use the "contact us" link at the top of their page and describe what you want done.
    Welcome to Acadiana Gunworks - Acadiana's Gun & Accessories Store

Second stop would be S&H Arms. They've been in business doing NFA stuff since 1986 and I've looked over their suppressed guns at Knob Creek many times - top quality. I know Curtis and he likes to keep his focus narrow, so he may or may not want to take on this special project. On the other hand, it might be something he adds to his services if no one else is doing it and he thinks it could end up popular - their integrally suppressed Ruger 77/44 rifles are an example of that, although there are a couple of other outfits doing it now too.
    Home page:
    S and H Arms: Curtis Higgins, Owasso, OK:: FNC conversions, Suppressors
    Give you an idea of their prices:
    S & H Arms: Curtis Higgins:: FNC conversions to full auto

Hope this helps! :ingo:

Top Bottom