• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    After much research and many posts and questions I had come to the final conclusion to go with bcm as a company to build my first AR and I had help in finding the parts for my gun and set a budget of 2k but now I have considered going with spikes tactical crusader AR, the price difference would save me $600 which is good and I have 0 building experience and no tools so I would hate to buy a gun and mess it up some how, so my question is do you think it's a good gun for the price and like spikes says it's a fighting gun out of the box is the quality of parts good compared to spending 2k on a bcm build

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    no experience with the bcm but ive heard nothing but good things about them. I had a spikes complete upper on a spikes lower and lpk (kind of had an ocd with my first build) and i loved it. Ran every kind of ammo including wolf/tula, and i had about 1500 rounds without cleaning it and it kept running. Fit and finish on the spikes is excellent as well.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    BCM is top notch quality you wouldn't be disappointed. About 80% of my rifle is of BCM parts, and that's only because I haven't bought the BCM parts to replace what isn't yet.

however my next option would be spikes based of what I've read about them. A mut rifle of spikes and BCM would do just fine in my opinion if you built it.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't know what you are spending 2k on for the BCM but that seems high to me.
    there's another thread on here about BCM and another about $2k recommendations.
    I like BCM personally but YMMV :dunno:

Bob

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You can get into a BCM for way under $2k. A BCM equivalent of the same Spikes is only going to be a few hundred more. Once you start adding options and bells and whistles to a BCM package, the price starts going up pretty quick, though.

If you're wanting to go cheaper than BCM, why are you looking at Spikes when Colt 6920's can be had for ~$800-850? Or the 6920 OEM models for ~$750 (then throw on whatever free float rail and stock you want).

Spikes is fine if you can't find a 6920 and don't want to shell out for a BCM. I'm just not a huge fan of their snake oil and marketing. But they should run fine. They just won't have quite as high of QC and won't be mil-spec to the n^th degree like the Colt or BCM will be.

In fact, here, just buy one of these and be done with it if you don't want to spend the extra money on a BCM. Get the 6720 if you want a light barrel, or the 6920 if you want an M4 profile barrel. These are all the rifle you'll ever need. If you want to upgrade in the future, swap out the handguard for a free float tube of some sort and throw in a fancy trigger. These need nothing else.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920-OEM2

Last edited:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Personally, the upper and lowers are just shells for the parts that really make a difference in quality and accuracy. As long as the trigger pin holes are in the right place and the right size, the rest doesn't really matter on the lower.

Between BCM and Spikes, I don't think there's any difference for the upper and lower and I don't think either make their own barrels. But, with the BCM, you get their stock which is probably the best on the market right now, and one of their charging handles (also arguably the best).

IMHO, if you're budget is $2k, the Daniel Defense is a fantastic ready to shoot piece. But, I think you'd have more fun and more pride in building your own. I'm putting together a frankenrifle right now for just under 2k, and $460 of that is in the piston kit. It's Spikes upper and lower, with a BCM stock and buffer assembly, DPMS small parts, a Wilson Combat barrel, a Colt Bolt, and the Adams Arms piston conversion kit. It's been slow going, but it's been a very enjoyable experience.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If the guy wants to spend $2k on a rifle, KAC would be the way to go. Burt, if you want a $2k rifle, buy the KAC, and be done with it. Those rifles are nuke proof. They are excellent. Don't take my word for it, read up on m4carbine.

However, OP seems wishy washy on his budget. Do you want a $2k rifle, or a $700 rifle? I don't get it. OP, what do you want?

If you're looking for a battle grade rifle, in ascending price, I'd be looking at:
    Colt<BCM<DD<LMT<KAC

Both make an excellent rifle, you can't go wrong with either. If your budget is 2K, I'd also consider Daniel Defense.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just.....no. Spikes is NOT up to the level of BCM. Or Colt for that matter. Absolutely not. Nope nope nope. And then add some extra sprinkles of nope to go along with it.

And like I said earlier, if you're looking in the Spikes type of budget, right now, you can get a Colt instead. That is the way to go.

Between BCM and Spikes, I don't think there's any difference for the upper and lower and I don't think either make their own barrels. But, with the BCM, you get their stock which is probably the best on the market right now, and one of their charging handles (also arguably the best).

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have several spikes rifles I built with 80% spikes parts and think they are the best for the price points. I think there lower parts kits are the best in my opinion they just seem to be easier to put together from others I have used. I actually just bought a spike billet lower for a build I'm doing just waiting on a trigger and some other pieces.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just.....no. Spikes is NOT up to the level of BCM. Or Colt for that matter. Absolutely not. Nope nope nope. And then add some extra sprinkles of nope to go along with it.

And like I said earlier, if you're looking in the Spikes type of budget, right now, you can get a Colt instead. That is the way to go.
    Where is a measurable difference in a stripped BCM lower and a stripped Spike's lower?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ah, you meant stripped upper and lower. All your quote said was "upper and lower" and then you talked about barrels, etc... which lead me to believe you were talking about complete uppers and lowers. QC as always.....parts is not parts. Spikes are good/OK, BCM is great. Put it that way. Stripped uppers/lowers, spikes uses Aero Precision. I'm not sure who BCM uses. But again, it all comes down to QC. A part bought from the same manufacturer could be different between two different re-sellers depending on how the re-seller specifies the part and QC be done. BCM's specs and QC are absolutely industry leading. Spikes is, again, decent, but not up to the level of BCM.
    Where is a measurable difference in a stripped BCM lower and a stripped Spike's lower?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have not owned or shot a BCM or Spikes, but they have cult followings for a good reason. I'd buy and run either with confidence.

I've been buying building with PSA kits for so long that I've got some cardboard boxes full of stocks, grips, forends etc. Enough stuff that I could finish off one of those Colt OEM's without buying another item. That $740 deal is the best I've seen, but I'm cheap and I want to see the price drop a little more before I pull the trigger.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Forgings are from a minor amount of companies. The forgings need machined. Some companies do their own machining, and some contract another company to do the machining for them. When you contract, you can specify all kinds of things.....That would likely be why my Anderson receivers looked like garbage with tool marks all over them and the machining generally looked like it was done by a toddler.
    I think that 70% of forged lowers are made by the same company anyway right? Different roll marks Ive read somewhere.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Can't.....tell.....if.....trolling..... Read the interwebz. That info is out there. I'm not going to sit here and try to explain why or if BCM's QC is superior to Spikes. Again, parts is not parts, and typically you get what you pay for. Spikes rifles are cheaper for a reason. That is not to say Spikes rifles are trash, they are not. They just are absolutely not up to BCM standards.
    Where do you get your information on who has better QC?

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Forgings are from a minor amount of companies. The forgings need machined. Some companies do their own machining, and some contract another company to do the machining for them. When you contract, you can specify all kinds of things.....That would likely be why my Anderson receivers looked like garbage with tool marks all over them and the machining generally looked like it was done by a toddler.

I can agree with the Anderson lowers being finished badly especially as of the last year or so. The one I built a couple years ago was great and finished decent but the new ones I have picked up are god awful looking. As for Bcm not much experience with them other than a couple parts so I can't really make a judgement on that.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    OP I don't think you can go wrong with either company... Both of them have proven rifles. I personally love BCM and I would go with them "just because" there is something about their products that I just like. However, if saving the cash and going with a spikes so you can get a great optic or in a class that's a serious option to consider. However I would not think that you can get a spikes much cheaper than a BCM. I would think for 2k you should be able to get a BCM, a optic and a case of ammo. At least if you spend wisely... I will be honest though and say that I don't have a lot of experience with spikes. I don't own a BCM lower but I have quite a bit of experience with their uppers, parts and a few friends that have their complete rifles. If I had 2k to spend on an AR today I'd most likely get a BCM or a DD. But there are several other options that I would strongly consider!

Top Bottom