• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    BogWalker just had a bit of an accident.

I bought a Yugo SKS, still cosmoline in the crannies. I wanted to see how well it fed hollowpoints real quick so I was hand cycling them through the magazine with the rifle laid across my lap (trigger guard free and clear).

I knew that the firing pin sticking forward on the SKS rifles happens, but this rifle was cleaned up enough I figured the last owner had gotten the bolt cleaned out. The firing pin wasn't protruding when I inspected it before loading so I figured it was all right.

Well, heh, the answer to that was no. The muzzle was pointed at a shallow angle towards the ground when it fired. I always point firearms away from homes when I'm on the porch with them so no physical harm done.

On the upside it feeds hollowpoints great. On the downside I've lost a fair bit of pride.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Wow, glad your ok. It was a good move to be outside and pointing the SKS away from houses etc. Could have been a lot worse. Chalk that one up as a test fire. :)

Years ago my Grandpa was cleaning his shotgun after hunting and it went off. No one was hurt but his family (including my Dad) was in the next room. He never really got over it. My Dad said he just wasn't ever comfortable around guns after that sadly. He passed away when I was just 5.

Clean that bolt really good.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I bought a Yugo SKS, still cosmoline in the crannies. I wanted to see how well it fed hollowpoints real quick so I was hand cycling them through the magazine with the rifle laid across my lap (trigger guard free and clear)..

I don't understand why people do this. :dunno:

A firearm operating at hand speeds is no indication of how it will operate at functioning speeds. Not to mention, the difference between a HP and FMJ 7.62x39 is about 1/32". It's not like a handgun bullet which could have a big difference in profile. If it feeds one, it will feed the other.

Next, was it hard primer Russian ammo, or soft primer USA ammo?

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't understand why people do this. :dunno:

A firearm operating at hand speeds is no indication of how it will operate at functioning speeds. Not to mention, the difference between a HP and FMJ 7.62x39 is about 1/32". It's not like a handgun bullet which could have a big difference in profile. If it feeds one, it will feed the other.

Next, was it hard primer Russian ammo, or soft primer USA ammo?
    Tula brand ammo but I think they contract with several Eastern European nations, and there is significant enough difference that hollowpoints will not feed in my WASR 10/63 both in hand feed and in actual action. If it feeds one it may not feed the other, and I speak from experience.

I made a mistake, thanks for well wishes, bolt soaking in mineral spirits and the rest of the gun will get it soon.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    BogWalker just had a bit of an accident.

I bought a Yugo SKS, still cosmoline in the crannies. I wanted to see how well it fed hollowpoints real quick so I was hand cycling them through the magazine with the rifle laid across my lap (trigger guard free and clear).

I knew that the firing pin sticking forward on the SKS rifles happens, but this rifle was cleaned up enough I figured the last owner had gotten the bolt cleaned out. The firing pin wasn't protruding when I inspected it before loading so I figured it was all right.

Well, heh, the answer to that was no. The muzzle was pointed at a shallow angle towards the ground when it fired. I always point firearms away from homes when I'm on the porch with them so no physical harm done.

On the upside it feeds hollowpoints great. On the downside I've lost a fair bit of pride.
    Yugoslavia CAKED all their surplus weapons in cosmo. The only worse guns to clean up were the Albanian SKS's.... a Yugo needs every nook and cranny cosmo free.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    You mean guns can discharge without fingers on triggers?
    I've seen reference to this in a few threads. What's the origin on INGO?

And the answer would be yes, due to mechanical failure firearms can discharge without fingers on triggers.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a Yugo awhile back. It was a bear to clean all the cosmo. Took a couple times breaking it down and range trips. Also had to file the disconnector to get the trigger to completely engage. Found a spent primer in the internals when I first broke it down.

It finally ran decent from the factory mag only and was pretty accurate. I like to feel like I could trust my life with any of the firearms I own and didn't feel comfortable with this particular junker. Good news is I made a bag of money when I sold it. They shot up in price and have gained some popularity.

Glad no one was hurt. God gives us a little reminder now and then.

Top Bottom