• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    I purchased a new, never-used Colt lower from Primary Arms last year, and I decided that I want to build another AR pistol. However, I read somewhere else that Colt "registers" their lowers so that they cannot be used as a pistol, only a rifle. Since I don't trust everything I read online, I want to run this by those more knowledgeable than myself.

So, is this a bunch of hogwash? Is there any way for me to be 100% certain, or should I just contact the ATF directly?

Thanks in advance.

And before anyone else says it, Colt is overpriced and overrated!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I purchased a new, never-used Colt lower from Primary Arms last year, and I decided that I want to build another AR pistol. However, I read somewhere else that Colt "registers" their lowers so that they cannot be used as a pistol, only a rifle. Since I don't trust everything I read online, I want to run this by those more knowledgeable than myself.

So, is this a bunch of hogwash? Is there any way for me to be 100% certain, or should I just contact the ATF directly?

Thanks in advance.

And before anyone else says it, Colt is overpriced and overrated!

if colt didn't ship it as a rifle or pistol, it shipped as "other" and sold that way, so you can build it as a pistol or rifle, when you bought it from your dealer, they marked the 4473 as "other" meaning you can build it either way

fyi you have to be 21 to buy a stripped lower because it can be built as a pistol

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm not sure if their practices have changed in recent years, but it used to be that Colt never sold stripped lowers; the ones you would see for sale had been disassembled from rifles, or from complete lowers that had been sold through a select few outlets like Specialized Armament. You might contact Colt customer service to find out if this is still the case, because ATF's position is "once a rifle, always a rifle," meaning that if a receiver had EVER been assembled into a rifle, it could NEVER be legally assembled into a pistol.

Colt customer service: 800-962-COLT (2658)

Last edited:

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    OP, It depends on which "Colt" lower you bought. If it was a lower from one of the competition series then you are good to go. If it was from (as mentioned earlier) a disassembled rifle, then you are not good to go.
    Can you post a pic of the markings. If it is roll marked M4 Carbine, then you have a disassemble lower.

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    If the Op gets a stamp /SBR, doesn't that cover him if he wants to configure as a pistol?
    And allows him to move it back and forth?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If the Op gets a stamp /SBR, doesn't that cover him if he wants to configure as a pistol?
    And allows him to move it back and forth?

No, the stamp allows him to build the gun as an SBR (i.e. short upper with a stock). But because that would still be a rifle, it could not be built into a pistol even if he later removed the lower from the registry.

That's my take, anyway. IANAL, etc.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    No, the stamp allows him to build the gun as an SBR (i.e. short upper with a stock). But because that would still be a rifle, it could not be built into a pistol even if he later removed the lower from the registry.

That's my take, anyway. IANAL, etc.

So it would be an SBR missing it's stock?

Talk about murky grey areas....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm not sure if their practices have changed in recent years, but it used to be that Colt never sold stripped lowers; the ones you would see for sale had been disassembled from rifles, or from complete lowers that had been sold through a select few outlets like Specialized Armament. You might contact Colt customer service to find out if this is still the case, because ATF's position is "once a rifle, always a rifle," meaning that if a receiver had EVER been assembled into a rifle, it could NEVER be legally assembled into a pistol.

I think shooter nailed it here. A good rule of thumb to follow is the "once a rifle, always a rifle" phrase. The OP needs to determine the origins of that Colt lower.

The OP states that it was purchased as a "new, never used" lower. If that's the case then it could'nt have been assembled as a rifle and it should be good to go. I would still verify it though like shooter suggests.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

This has been discussed over on M4Carbine.net. Colt doesn't sell stripped lowers and if they did the only person to sell them would be Ken @ SAW. And even that is debated. If your lower is the Colt Competition lower, then they were made under license by a company in Texas called Bold Ideas.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    Thanks for all of the info, guys. Very much appreciated :yesway:

This is a Colt Competition lower, as mentioned in this thread, and lacks an M4 or LE or similar marking. So, it appears I'm good to go as far as building a pistol.

20160722_104732_zps08sxbh3j.jpg

Top Bottom