• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You don't see much about the Remington Model 8 a John Browning design from long ago, it was a popular gun with hunters and lawmen both, used by the legendary Texas Ranger Frank Hamer in his shootout with Bonnie and Clyde. This model made in 1906 is chambered in 35 Remington still shoots very well, it's easy take down feature was a good selling point for travel. There were modified magazines made for law enforcement at higher capacities, this example is of the standard 5 rounds.:)

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I saw one of these in a move a while back (I can't remember the name) and could not figure out what it was. Thanks for sharing! I really love the break down part.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You don't see much about the Remington Model 8 a John Browning design from long ago, it was a popular gun with hunters and lawmen both, used by the legendary Texas Ranger Frank Hamer in his shootout with Bonnie and Clyde. This model made in 1906 is chambered in 35 Remington still shoots very well, it's easy take down feature was a good selling point for travel. There were modified magazines made for law enforcement at higher capacities, this example is of the standard 5 rounds.:)

Pretty dang cool... Is it yours? How's it shoot? Accurate to what distance?

But, for the bolded part, it was more of an ambush than a shootout, lol. I don't think Bonnie nor Clyde even got a shot off.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's a recent acquisition and I can't speak for accuracy other than to say an old man hit a beer can at 50 yards on the second shot with iron sights, shooting off hand. I'll get it out for more shooting and make up additional ammo, it does drop the cases right at your feet which is nice. You're right about the shootout being an ambush, I don't think officers involved wanted to take any chances of them shooting back.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wikipedia has this to say:

The two [Dallas County] deputies and {Dallas County Sheriff] Schmid had tried to ambush Bonnie and Clyde once before, in late November 1933, near Sowers, Texas. After examining Barrow's abandoned V-8 Ford at Sowers and seeing that the barrage from his Thompson submachine gun hadn't penetrated its body, Hinton requested a BAR.[SUP][28][/SUP]
    At 9:15 a.m. on May 23, 1934, after 102 days of shadowing, hunter and hunted finally met on a desolate rural road near Gibsland, Louisiana. Barrow stopped his car at the ambush spot and the posse's 150-round fusillade was so thunderous that people for miles around thought a logging crew had used dynamite to fell a particularly huge tree.[SUP][29][/SUP] Accounts of the last instants before the gunfire vary widely: Sheriff Jordan said he was calling out to Barrow to halt as the shooting started; Deputy Alcorn said that Captain Hamer was calling out; Deputy Hinton wrote that Alcorn called out. The only agreement between all six was that Deputy Oakley, perhaps nervously jumping the gun, stood and fired the opening burst from his Remington Model 8, and that his bullet into Barrow's left temple killed the outlaw instantly.[SUP][30][/SUP] The posse then fired off another hundred-plus rounds, any number of which would have been fatal to Parker and also to Barrow.[SUP][31]
    [/SUP]
    Hamer used a customized .35 Remington Model 8 semiautomatic rifle with a special-order 15-round magazine that Hamer had ordered from Petmeckey's Sporting Goods store in Austin, Texas. He was shipped serial number 10045, and this was just one of at least two Model 8's used in the ambush.[SUP][32][/SUP] The rifle was modified to accept a "police only" 20-round magazine obtained through the Peace Officers Equipment Company in St. Joseph, Missouri.[SUP][28][/SUP]

And yes, it is a neat rifle. Nice find.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Those are neat rifles! I have a cousin who has one. It was her dad's deer rifle which she uses now.

They're also great to point to when some ignorant anti gun type says that semi autos are some new perversion of our hunting tradition, before schooling them on what the 2A is about.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Wikipedia has this to say:

And yes, it is a neat rifle. Nice find.

Wikipedia is about worth what you pay for it at times, In this case its easy for the facts to get in the way of legend because there is really no in the field accounts of what guns where used.. Like with so many wonderful tales from the west it is only years later that anyone asks the detail questions..

Here is a real fun little You Tube.. Does it answer the question???? Who knows.. have seen knock down drag out fights about this.. And there are many accounts that Frank Hammer Used a BAR... Mr Browning designed both so we can tank him no matter want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nYGLzHaifw

Just a shout out to how they built cars back then... There are many photos of the assassination car from the side that was shot... But if you look at the other side.. very Very Very few bullets went completely though the car.. Must left large dents on the other side.. So the bullets stayed in the car... Now there is another great mystery what ever happen to the slugs in the car.....

Wonderful Rifle, Have always wanted one, just never wanted to pay for the ammo....

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, between the Model 8 and Model 81 they were made in .25, .30. .32 and .35 that I know of.
    Sold my 81 because the scope was canted to the side for right eyed shooters.
    Excellent wheel weight chunker originally purchased to ack-ack jack rabbits down on the border.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks Expat, it's going to take a little work on the front sight, but it shoots great.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Pretty dang cool... Is it yours? How's it shoot? Accurate to what distance?

But, for the bolded part, it was more of an ambush than a shootout, lol. I don't think Bonnie nor Clyde even got a shot off.

Frank Hamer made about as much effort to capture Bonnie & Clyde alive on that day as Melvin Purvis made to capture John Dillinger alive outside the Biograph Theatre, i.e. none.
    Can't say I blame either of them for not giving those particular bad guys a chance.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Frank Hamer made about as much effort to capture Bonnie & Clyde alive on that day as Melvin Purvis made to capture John Dillinger alive outside the Biograph Theatre, i.e. none.
    Can't say I blame either of them for not giving those particular bad guys a chance.
    We were less sensitive to the needs of criminals back in the old days.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I bought a Model 8 in .35 Remington from Gunbroker a few years ago. I got a pretty good deal because it had a homemade peep site added by some previous owner and a small ding in the barrel tube. Unfortunately that was during the great ammo shortage and I was only able to scrounge up a few old rounds of .35 and a little bit of brass, so I haven't shot it much yet. From what little I did shoot it, it shot fairly well but was a bit picky on the type of ammo it would feed. The homemade peep actually worked pretty well and the recoil was heavier than I expected. Now that brass and ammo are a bit more available I need to get it out of the safe and do some more shooting with it.

Top Bottom