• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    A friend has an WW2 era Garand that he wants to sell. I would hate for him to get ripped off. Apart from condition, what factors are important that impact the sale value? Thank you for any guidance.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    Original or correct rifle with early parts can be worth alot more than a mixmaster rebuilt rifle. Also a early correct WWII rifle can be worth thousands more than a late WWII rifle. Manufacture also plays alot in value
    No way to give a estimate without detailed pics or atleast a list of all the stamped parts. You can PM me with details if you would like me to help

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Also if its an import it will be a little less. I have a WWII Garand from the cmp. The stock is a little rough and finish is thin (it's a field grade). It would go for more than the other one I have. It also is a WWII, with nicer wood and a nicer finish, but the barrel is stamped "Blue Sky Imports".

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    Real world Garand market prices are hundreds higher than CMP prices. If you sell the Garand at those prices you are leaving money on the table

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    A friend has an WW2 era Garand that he wants to sell. I would hate for him to get ripped off. Apart from condition, what factors are important that impact the sale value? Thank you for any guidance.

As has already been mentioned on here. There are sooooooooooo many variables that can determine the value of a WWII Garand. This thread cannot even begin to cover these differences. First off...what maker is it? Please understand there were only two makers during WWII. Winchester and Springfield Armory. I say that because I have encountered people who had a Garand and thought it was WWII just because it was a M1 Garand and it was a Harvester or H&R. Those were Korean wars Garands. Also VERY high number Springfields can be Korean war as well.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You don't see many M-1 Garands at gun shows priced less than a grand. If he wants from $850 to $1,000 I'd say you aren't taking advantage of him, if the gun is in good shape. Having said that, I'm no expert on collectable Garands. I'm just speaking to general run of the mill shooters.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    As others have posted, alot of variables will dictate and influence the value of a M1.

Arsenal rebuilds are less in value than say one that has all the correct parts. In the rebuild process, all the parts from multiple M1's were put in large vats with cleaning solution, cleaned, inspected and re-assembled, with no concern over what parts came from what M1.

There are some that retained features that are desirable to collectors and M1 fans. Those are items such as Lock-Bar sights, early gas plugs and gas cylinders, un cut op rods, etc.

M1's with matching numbers-meaning that the part numbers on parts like the trigger, trigger housing, bolt, trigger guard, etc match the serial number range are also highly sought after as are M1's with original barrels.

My M1 was made in January of 1941. It has lock bar sights, matching parts for the serial number range. The only thing that it does not have is a matching barrel. It was re-barreled in 1953. It has the discoloration on the heal where they dipped it in lead to stop the receiver from cracking.

I have had people offer me 4 times what I have in it. I refuse to sell. I bought this from a Veteran that was walking in front of me, at a gun show 10 years ago, less than 5 minutes after I walked into the hall. His price was low and I even told him that, but he said that was what he wanted for it. I bought it.

I was harassed non stop by the ubiquitous M1 table guys you see at every show. I had beat them to it and they were none too happy about it.

img0431f.jpg

Who makes it? If it's a Winchester, those always command a premium over Springfield's, since they made more of the Springfields.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    As others have posted, alot of variables will dictate and influence the value of a M1.

Arsenal rebuilds are less in value than say one that has all the correct parts. In the rebuild process, all the parts from multiple M1's were put in large vats with cleaning solution, cleaned, inspected and re-assembled, with no concern over what parts came from what M1.

There are some that retained features that are desirable to collectors and M1 fans. Those are items such as Lock-Bar sights, early gas plugs and gas cylinders, un cut op rods, etc.

M1's with matching numbers-meaning that the part numbers on parts like the trigger, trigger housing, bolt, trigger guard, etc match the serial number range are also highly sought after as are M1's with original barrels.

My M1 was made in January of 1941. It has lock bar sights, matching parts for the serial number range. The only thing that it does not have is a matching barrel. It was re-barreled in 1953. It has the discoloration on the heal where they dipped it in lead to stop the receiver from cracking.

I have had people offer me 4 times what I have in it. I refuse to sell. I bought this from a Veteran that was walking in front of me, at a gun show 10 years ago, less than 5 minutes after I walked into the hall. His price was low and I even told him that, but he said that was what he wanted for it. I bought it.

I was harassed non stop by the ubiquitous M1 table guys you see at every show. I had beat them to it and they were none too happy about it.

img0431f.jpg

Who makes it? If it's a Winchester, those always command a premium over Springfield's, since they made more of the Springfields.
    Thats a nice 1941 but lockbar sights are not correct for it. Should be spanner or flush nut sights

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    The serial # for the M1 begins 4371xxx. From what I can find it appears to be a 1940 production gun. The
    receiver is marked "Springfield Armory"
    is there someone on this post who I can email pictures to and get some guidance on price?

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    I am along time shooter and collector of the Garand. I have owned over 30 Garands in my life many correct WWII and Post War rifles. I will be glad to help but you will need to give me detailed info
    PM sent

Top Bottom