Realistic cost of a 'budget' build-your-own AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I see a lot of people claiming that you can build your own AR for less than even the lower end (say $650) commercial models.

I built mine post-Sandy Hook, and it was pricey.

Anyone here build (not just buy separate upper and lower and combine them) an AR for under $700 recently?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I personally haven't in a while, but it surely can be done. When I built my ar9 this spring, I did it for hundreds less than buying a complete upper and lower just by watching sales and using a used upper receiver, mag block, and trigger. Sure, my hand guard is a quad rail (gasp)....but it was a ff version, and it was only 39$ clearance at midway.

I definitely came in under $700 which is doing something in the ar9 world per my research.

Beggars can't be choosers.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've been right around $800-900 for my last two builds, and that included Elftmann triggers, Larue barrels, Noveske BCG's, really nice FF handguards, and matched upper/lower sets.

Yes, it can easily be done under $700, and you can build a heck of a nice rifle.

The key is to have money ready when deals are there.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I believe my last build was around $550, and that was with a RRA lower because that's all I could get! PSA kit on sale minus the lower, couple mags and a carry handle rear sight. Deals are still available just timing and grabbing before sold out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe my last build was around $550, and that was with a RRA lower because that's all I could get! PSA kit on sale minus the lower, couple mags and a carry handle rear sight. Deals are still available just timing and grabbing before sold out.

I guess I am not patient enough to sit and wait on sales etc.
    When I start a parts box for a build I get to a point when some of the major components are there that I have to finish it up.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    If you are patient, PSA -- and I'm sure other vendors -- can sell the parts to build one for $500, give or take. May not be your dream rifle to raid Entebee, but you'll be able to hurl lead down range in 223 or 556 with moderate accuracy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, it takes some patience and diligence in the classifieds, but it can still be done. Most recently did a budget pistol build for about $550 all in.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I've got my 2 Larue Barrels and Triggers over the last 3 years. Have some lowers to match them with so trying to to quality on the cheap, but i don't know anything about uppers other than there some metal

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've got my 2 Larue Barrels and Triggers over the last 3 years. Have some lowers to match them with so trying to to quality on the cheap, but i don't know anything about uppers other than there some metal

They go on top. That's why they're called "uppers." ;)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I know a guy who bought a complete palmetto armory lower (assembled with magpul stock and grip) for 150.00, it was blemished, but I couldn't see anything wrong (with in the last two weeks!)

late last year, I bought a radical firearms upper for 199.99, the bcg was 89.99 (I upgraded to a fail zero nbc group for 150.00) plus 18.00 for shipping, I added it to a mag tactical lower, a dpms parts group, and a used 6 position stock for 10.00 so im in my second ar for 500.00 (440.00 if I had gone with the standard bcg)

ive got a little more in my 3rd ar, just because I wanted a little better rifle

400 for the Anderson upper
    90 for the s&w lower
    90 for the lpk
    80 for the rra 2 stage trigger
    60 for the stock kit
    (720.00 total)

now both were flat top's so I needed to add sights or optics, both had full auto bcg's and both had free floating handguards, the radical has melonite coated barrel, and the Anderson has a chain link pattern fluting (its a heavy barrel)and is phosphate coated, if you add them up, the first one cheaper than MOST "budget" ar's, and the second one way cheaper than any ar built by a name brand company.

and both were built post San Bernardino

so yes, you can build budget priced ar15's with high quality parts and for less than most "economy" ar's

Top Bottom