Lets say you have $1200 to build/buy an AR-15. What would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have asked questions in the past, but what I'm looking for are specifics. I plan on getting myself a Christmas present this year and wanting to spend around $1200. Pictures would be great!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here's my advice if you're really looking for an AR-15: decide what optic you want first.

There's one particular resource here at INGO who is excellent when it comes to that.

After that, you'll have the real budget for the rifle part.

I'd prioritize for expenditure thusly:
    - lower
    - trigger/FCG
    - upper/barrel combo
    - BCG
    - hand guard/stock

The more you spend at the top of the list, the less you have at the bottom.

Just MHO after getting a hi-end AR, then 2 budget builds.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here's my advice if you're really looking for an AR-15: decide what optic you want first.

There's one particular resource here at INGO who is excellent when it comes to that.

After that, you'll have the real budget for the rifle part.

I'd prioritize for expenditure thusly:
    - lower
    - trigger/FCG
    - upper/barrel combo
    - BCG
    - hand guard/stock

The more you spend at the top of the list, the less you have at the bottom.

Just MHO after getting a hi-end AR, then 2 budget builds.

That makes sense, you recommend the parts in that order?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends what you want your AR to do. Are you going to be doing 3 gun, CQB drills, hunting (if so, where?), plinking, shooting tiny groups at long ranges, etc.....? Different builds for different purposes.

Is $1200 including your optic?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had the same money and went with a DPMS bull 16. You can get on line with an FFL and order it how you like it. I had the barrel fluted and painted black in the flutes, JP adjustable trigger, A2 stock, chrome bolt, Hogue grip, whatever you like is how they will build it for you.

Sky is the limit when it comes to AR's. Find what looks good to you, fits your shooting style and buy it.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    This will mostly be an all around rifle, if that makes any sense? I would like something with a magnified optic, maybe a flip to the side magnifier?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That makes sense, you recommend the parts in that order?

Well, sorta.

Figure out a short list in each category, then look for deals. You can't do too much research. Palmetto State Armory has good deals every so often on their complete lower, and I haven't had any issues with those.

If you want to go higher end, watch for deals, particularly in the classifieds.

You don't need to buy in that order, but you can price each category and be able to recognize a good deal.

That way, too, you can tell if there's a deal you want on a complete rifle.

Also, what is the optic resource?
    This is the guy:
    View Profile: 42769vette - INGunOwners

I haven't had the opportunity to purchase from him, but from what I can tell, his customer service is second to none.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, sorta.

Figure out a short list in each category, then look for deals. You can't do too much research. Palmetto State Armory has good deals every so often on their complete lower, and I haven't had any issues with those.

If you want to go higher end, watch for deals, particularly in the classifieds.

You don't need to buy in that order, but you can price each category and be able to recognize a good deal.

That way, too, you can tell if there's a deal you want on a complete rifle.

This is the guy:
    View Profile: 42769vette - INGunOwners

I haven't had the opportunity to purchase from him, but from what I can tell, his customer service is second to none.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    As in a free float tube, or as in a rifle length A1 / A2 handguard?

Either way, it should be do-able.

I'd prioritize like this:
    - Optic. For a general plinker / do-all rifle, I really like a low power variable. I do not like a red dot and magnifier for obvious reasons (just a dot, hard to dial shots, no ranging/doping reticle, more complex, more heavy, more expensive to buy a good RDS + a good magnifier, etc...). Some good options are: Vortex Viper PST, Steiner P4Xi, Trijicon Accupower, Leupold VXR Patrol. You can find these between $400 and $600 depending on which you want/like. Remember, don't cheap out on your optic. It's what you're looking through when you're using your rifle, and is an integral part of your rifle. Make sure to get a decent mount while you're at it. I really like the Aero Precision mounts. They're strong, light, and don't break the bank. No QD, but for a do-all rifle, I really don't think you need it. Put a torx wrench in your grip in case you need to take off your scope for any reason, it takes 5 seconds.

- Trigger. Lots of good options out there. If you like 2 stages, the Larue MBT is excellent and can be had for $100 with the "I can wait" option if you can wait a couple weeks for them to ship it to you. Or go with Geissele for ~$200ish depending on model. If you like single stages, Velocity, CMC, Timney, AR Gold, Elftmann, Wilson, or Hipertouch are all good to go.

- Barrel - I'd suggest an enhanced lightweight version of some sort. BCM ELW, Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrels, or Faxon Gunner Barrels are all great. They have extra material closer to the chamber where it matters and are lighter near the muzzle where you don't need it as much. They make for a nice handy rifle that handles really well and are adequately accurate for a do-all / plinking rifle as long as you aren't expecting bench rest rifle type accuracy. Get one with a pinned gas block (BA comes with them and Faxons can be had with a pinned gas block through AIM Surplus).

- BCG. Get a good mil-spec BCG. BCM, DD, Noveske, LMT, Toolcraft, etc... It'll be between $100 and $150. No need for the fancy pants stuff, just a good mil-spec BCG will serve you well.

- I have nothing but positive things to say about Aero Precision matched / forged receiver sets. They're $120 through Aero directly, and sometimes you can find cheaper deals online. Fit/finish has been excellent, and it has been money well spent. I now have 3, and I'll continue to buy from them if I do more builds. Best bang for your buck out there.

- Then it's all just getting good quality build parts and picking the stock and handguard you like.

I know I'm a little different than some people but I love the way the full length hand guards look, so I know that is something I want.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If you like the full length A1/A2 style hand guard, you may be best off buying off the shelf. The best deals I've seen lately have had that kind of hand guard. Point Blank had a good deal for about $650. That leaves plenty of budget for a really good optic and probably a trigger upgrade.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    As in a free float tube, or as in a rifle length A1 / A2 handguard?

Either way, it should be do-able.

I'd prioritize like this:
    - Optic. For a general plinker / do-all rifle, I really like a low power variable. I do not like a red dot and magnifier for obvious reasons (just a dot, hard to dial shots, no ranging/doping reticle, more complex, more heavy, more expensive to buy a good RDS + a good magnifier, etc...). Some good options are: Vortex Viper PST, Steiner P4Xi, Trijicon Accupower, Leupold VXR Patrol. You can find these between $400 and $600 depending on which you want/like. Remember, don't cheap out on your optic. It's what you're looking through when you're using your rifle, and is an integral part of your rifle. Make sure to get a decent mount while you're at it. I really like the Aero Precision mounts. They're strong, light, and don't break the bank. No QD, but for a do-all rifle, I really don't think you need it. Put a torx wrench in your grip in case you need to take off your scope for any reason, it takes 5 seconds.

- Trigger. Lots of good options out there. If you like 2 stages, the Larue MBT is excellent and can be had for $100 with the "I can wait" option if you can wait a couple weeks for them to ship it to you. Or go with Geissele for ~$200ish depending on model. If you like single stages, Velocity, CMC, Timney, AR Gold, Elftmann, Wilson, or Hipertouch are all good to go.

- Barrel - I'd suggest an enhanced lightweight version of some sort. BCM ELW, Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrels, or Faxon Gunner Barrels are all great. They have extra material closer to the chamber where it matters and are lighter near the muzzle where you don't need it as much. They make for a nice handy rifle that handles really well and are adequately accurate for a do-all / plinking rifle as long as you aren't expecting bench rest rifle type accuracy. Get one with a pinned gas block (BA comes with them and Faxons can be had with a pinned gas block through AIM Surplus).

- BCG. Get a good mil-spec BCG. BCM, DD, Noveske, LMT, Toolcraft, etc... It'll be between $100 and $150. No need for the fancy pants stuff, just a good mil-spec BCG will serve you well.

- I have nothing but positive things to say about Aero Precision matched / forged receiver sets. They're $120 through Aero directly, and sometimes you can find cheaper deals online. Fit/finish has been excellent, and it has been money well spent. I now have 3, and I'll continue to buy from them if I do more builds. Best bang for your buck out there.

- Then it's all just getting good quality build parts and picking the stock and handguard you like.

Thanks for the detail, all good stuff for me to read up on.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No. For the same money, the Aero Precision is actually measurably better when comparing the specs and / or rifles side by side.

For not much more, you can get a Colt 6920 OEM. I saw them for $750 just yesterday on slickguns.com. They're the mil-spec standard. Just throw on your choice of stock and handguard, bolt on your optic, and you've got a rifle that's ready to drop into Afghanistan.

As far as off the shelf stuff, do you like S&W?

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Am I better off just going with a scope instead of a reddot+magnifier? Sounds like its better to have two rifles one close range and one long range. I'm sure thats the case, unfortunately with the way the funds are I'd rather get one good rifle than two 'ok' ones.

Top Bottom