• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    This is the first gun I ever bought. Couldn't even go out hunting for a day without it showing surface rust by the time I got home. It got duracoated Flat Woodland brown a couple years ago and that stopped the rust issue. I was not crazy about the green stock with the brown finish once the gun was done. Picked up some flat camo spray paint (tan, green, and black) and a laundry bag and finally got around to painting it this evening. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Ready for Shotgun to open next weekend. I feel like I saw a thread about spray can camo jobs awhile back but I can't seem to find it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Nice job on painting. Don't take this as a critique, just something to think upon for future rattle can jobs. The most effective camo paint schemes are achieved by starting with the lightest color as the base, with the other colors applied as needed. Dark camo schemes tend to go dark in the woods and actually diminishes the effectiveness of camo. Now if you plan on hunting a jungle, evergreen forrests or the Black Forrest of Germany, then disregard all my conclusions.:D

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Nice job on painting. Don't take this as a critique, just something to think upon for future rattle can jobs. The most effective camo paint schemes are achieved by starting with the lightest color as the base, with the other colors applied as needed. Dark camo schemes tend to go dark in the woods and actually diminishes the effectiveness of camo. Now if you plan on hunting a jungle, evergreen forrests or the Black Forrest of Germany, then disregard all my conclusions.:D

Thank you for the info. I thought about laying down more tan before putting the black and green on. It was more about covering up the dark brown and making it look better to my eye. Good news is I can strip it off and do it over if I want.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Started dark, finished light.

NiAkRjc.jpg
    [/IMG]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Really, camo on a gun is overrated.
    As long as it's not shiny and you're happy with it, do what you want.
    My turkey gun is all black.
    Have killed deer and varmints with all black guns just fine.
    Hell, I've used shiny ones with similar success.
    For years my goose gun was a shiny 1100 mag.

Even if you have a camo gun, you can't move around or be noisy.
    Many think a camo rifle/shotgun will make up for major mistakes in other areas.

OP, shotgun looks good. Now get some blood on it! :)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have never camoed up a hunting firearm. I do camo up my long range rifle and painted my ARs just because I hate black guns. I don't even use black paint in camo. :D

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    Well done!
    I'd like to camo my black gun. On the other hand, I am scared witless I'll screw up the gun or the camo effect.
    My hat is off to you sir. Hmm... I'll tip a martini glass your direction too.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Well done!
    I'd like to camo my black gun. On the other hand, I am scared witless I'll screw up the gun or the camo effect.
    My hat is off to you sir. Hmm... I'll tip a martini glass your direction too.

Just go for it. I figure it's just spray paint and I can strip it off if I don't like it.

Top Bottom