• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    Got a M1A loaded and was looking at the Springfield scope mounts. They offer two, an aluminum one foe $123 and a steel for $299. Being such a big price difference I was wondering, is the steel one that much better? Or, is the aluminum one that bad, I'd figure they would not sell a product that wouldn't work well? Right?

Any one have experience with either and which would they recommend?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The m14 platform is a pain to scope. Do your research. What I have learned over the years though, don't do the aluminum, not on this platform.

Right off the bat aluminum is the cheapest material used to make mounts followed by steel and then titanium.

And if $ allows it, don't do the Springfield mount. Go Sadlak or Swan and make it a 3 point mount

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The m14 platform is a pain to scope. Do your research. What I have learned over the years though, don't do the aluminum, not on this platform.

Right off the bat aluminum is the cheapest material used to make mounts followed by steel and then titanium.

And if $ allows it, don't do the Springfield mount. Go Sadlak or Swan and make it a 3 point mount

That was the final nail in the coffin for me against M14s/M1As. Yes, they are expensive to buy. Yes, they are expensive to feed. And HOLY HELL the scope mount costs are INSANE!

Maybe someday when the kids are grown and I have more discretionary funds...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Got a M1A loaded and was looking at the Springfield scope mounts. They offer two, an aluminum one foe $123 and a steel for $299. Being such a big price difference I was wondering, is the steel one that much better? Or, is the aluminum one that bad, I'd figure they would not sell a product that wouldn't work well? Right?

Any one have experience with either and which would they recommend?

G1-OSM Gen 3 M/14 M/1A optical sight mount

:)

$299 doesn't look so bad

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Get a Basset scope mount. Made of aluminum and works extremely well. Cost ~$150 or less. I have 2 M1As and one is wearing a Basset High mount. Many of the guys over on the M14Forum suggested it and I took their advice. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't shot a M1A with one of these mounted. Here is a link:Bassett M14/M1A Scope Mounts

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A guy I work with has a big steel mount on his own M1A for a Burris scope.
    It's a heavy system, but it must be pretty good because I was able to get the M1A sighted in within fewer than ten shots, then shooting satisfyingly small groups thereafter.
    I wish I had taken the time to find out exactly what make/model it was.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Get a Basset scope mount. Made of aluminum and works extremely well. Cost ~$150 or less. I have 2 M1As and one is wearing a Basset High mount. Many of the guys over on the M14Forum suggested it and I took their advice. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't shot a M1A with one of these mounted. Here is a link:Bassett M14/M1A Scope Mounts

Agreed, the Basset mount is super easy and right on! And with the high mount your irons are still clear!

+1 for Basset have used a few all work very well

Right on!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    With the excellent iron sights on the M1A/M14, why does one need to glass one?

I'm kind of ashamed I covered mine up with a scope. Scoping mine wasn't easy but the results are great. Ringing a ~8x8" chunk of steel at 650 yards sold me.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    With the excellent iron sights on the M1A/M14, why does one need to glass one?

I have to agree that the iron sights that come on the M1A/M14 platform are about as good as can be gotten on an off the shelf rifle, but aging eyes all too often make it progressively tougher to shoot, even with those excellent iron sights, eventually to the point that those dealing with that eventuality have to resort to a scope so that they can still enjoy shooting a truly great rifle.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    I have to agree that the iron sights that come on the M1A/M14 platform are about as good as can be gotten on an off the shelf rifle, but aging eyes all too often make it progressively tougher to shoot, even with those excellent iron sights, eventually to the point that those dealing with that eventuality have to resort to a scope so that they can still enjoy shooting a truly great rifle.

I agree, I was just talking to a few friends that have M1As about the iron sights and the sights on the loaded model are excellent. I really wish that those sights were on my SOCOM 16.

Oh, I know*** I'll take the sights off of the loaded model and put them on the SOCOM and then scope the loaded!!!! Perfect!!!

Top Bottom