• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Anybody shooting .45 Colt in their .410?

Yesterday my brother called up and was telling about his girl friends house gun, a break over Savage (.22 over .410).
    He was happy about his wheel weight 250 grainers doing two inch groups off hand at 25 yards with no key holes.
    I had to rib him and say naw they're just making one complete flip at that distance!

Any how, he was pleased about something new to play with. Next he might put a primed case in it and pour in the FFg and round ball. You just never know. After all, being able to shoot .22 shorts, longs, long rifles, .410 shells and .45 Colts out of one gun might not be enough fun. And now he thinks she really needs a red dot or something on it to keep the hogs out of the front yard. Yep, he's enthused.

So, any how, how good of accuracy have any yall had with .45's in your .410?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've known that could be done for some time, but it just sounds like a bad idea, even though it's unlikely to result in a burst barrel.
    You're still shooting bullets through a smooth bore, and the choke is taking a bit of a battering from the a .451/.452 diameter bullet, given that most .410 shotguns have a full choke right at .410 (the bore is a bit above that).
    It's an even worse idea doing that sort of thing with much harder jacketed bullets.
    Want to shoot .45 Colt?
    Get a .45 Colt gun.
    Want to be able to shoot both safely and effectively?
    Get a T/C Contender with the .45 Colt/.410 barrel.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Never tried it and didn't think it was possible

As said above, putting a .452 through a .410 bore doesn't sound like the best idea. To me is sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The T/C Contender gets away with this because the bore is rifled for the 45 Colt which is larger than the average 410 smooth bore and uses a choke that stops the spinning of the shot column when being used as a shotgun. I agree that shooting the 45 Colt in a smoothbore 410 is asking for trouble.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The T/C Contender gets away with this because the bore is rifled for the 45 Colt which is larger than the average 410 smooth bore and uses a choke that stops the spinning of the shot column when being used as a shotgun. I agree that shooting the 45 Colt in a smoothbore 410 is asking for trouble.

You are correct, sir.
    It's nothing but a very dangerous stunt for anyone to shoot .45 Colt out of a .410 shotgun instead of from the above mentioned Contender or one of the other guns (Taurus Judge/Circuit Judge, S&W Governor, some derringers) that are actually .45 Colt guns explicitly designed to also chamber .410.
    Please, OP, in the name of all that is reasonable and proper, tell your friend to cease and desist.
    If you want the most affordable rifle that will properly handle both rounds, get one of these (they're discontinued, sadly) off of the used market - H&R Survivor Single Shot Rifle SB141N 410/45 Colt Break Open Action For Sale

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Maybe somebody should tell him a .45-70 will fit too...just need to push a little harder, it's not any longer than that 3" .410...maybe send him some +P CorBon 460gr...I wonder what hard cast will do to a choke.

Top Bottom